Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/10/2002 8:39:09 AM EST
I have justed received word that I have degenerative disk desiese. I currenty have a birth defect called Spondylolisthesis (a vertabra not formed completely). The end result is over the years the "Scottish Dogs" have broken off and now the L5 is in three pieces and has slipped forward 3/16 of an inch. I learned of this problem in early 1996. Last week I also learned that more problems have occurred. 1. Mild broad protrusion at L4-5 level with minimal contact on thecal sac. 2. Moderate central (slightly greater to the right than to the left of middle) protrusion at L3-4 level. Very mild spinal stenosis. 3. Mild broad protrusion at L1-2 level with contact on thecal sac. This info off of a MRI. Not to include the pain down both legs to the feet almost constantly. Loss of feeling in both feet and a tingleing sensation in all toes, and of course pain in the lower back every minute of the day. The problem is is that I am getting out of the Army after 13 yrs active and 4 reserve, due to family hardship problems (family first). I was just kindly told that the reserve and national gaurd will not pick me up to finish my 20 due to my injurys. And since I am getting out on a hardship I was told that the Army WILL NOT GIVE ME DISABILITY. They said the could do a MRB but the could not tell me for how long it would take. Thanks for the 17 years but you are not worth anything to us anymore, and no you get nothing. 9 years in the infantry 1993 to present is the cause. The big question is can any one give me some advice on how to get disability from the Army. I am not looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Just what I feel I should get after 17 years of service to this country.Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for your time. Infantry "We make war personnel". To those who can still do the job "stay low, move fast, be safe" This grunts career is over!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:50:53 AM EST
Aren't there lawyers for that sort of thing?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:56:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 8:57:43 AM EST by Hydguy]
First, you have to be sure that it's documentede by the Army. Does it interfere with your ability to do your job(ie, pain doing required tasks such as your MOS or the pft)? Is it a condition that can get you disqualified for reinlistment? If no, then do your last 3 years and retire, then when you are getting out, MAKE SURE that yo uget a VA physical BEFORE you get out. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If yo uwait until after you get out, the decision from the VA can take up to or over a year for a decision. If yo udo the paperwork while you are still AD, the decision comes back in between 60-90 days. E-mail me later tonight if yo uwant more info... [smoke]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:03:51 AM EST
Make sure to get COMPLETE copies of ALL records, especially medical. Contact local chapter of DAV (disabled American veterans). If you need more help, feel free to contact me. See my profile.......
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:12:56 AM EST
Sometimes a congressman will help out. My Dad's service-connected disability & eventual death from it was fought by the VA & it took a U.S. Representative to get them to listen. I had my own beef with the VA over the GI bill extension years ago. At the time, they had some rule that limited the fee that a lawyer could charge for a VA case, and the VA was telling me that I had no chance of finding a lawyer for that amount (ridiculously low, like $100). I know this (fee issue) was the subject of litigation but don't know what the outcome was.
Top Top