Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 4:53:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, what I find interesting about England is that most English girls are totally easy.

The great thing about being at college is that you're always meeting lots of new people from all sorts of interesting backgrounds.

Unless, of course the visitor is a TV Licensing officer.

If you're using a television set at university or college, or anything else to receive or record television programme services (such as video recorders, set-top boxes or PCs with broadcast cards) without a valid TV Licence then you could be prosecuted and fined - which could make your days at college a lot less fun than they should be.

Get caught without a TV Licence and you could face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000

To avoid this happening you need to be aware of the following facts of TV Licensing:

- A colour TV Licence currently costs £121, a black and white licence is £40.50....

Our detection equipment will track down your TV

The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection.

How our detector vans can catch out licence evaders:

We can detect a TV in use, in any area. That's because every TV contains a component called the 'local oscillator', which emits a signal when the television is switched on. It's this signal that the equipment on our vans picks up.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Using television receiving equipment to receive or record broadcast television programmes without the correct licence is a criminal offence.
You could therefore face prosecution and a hefty fine of up to £1,000.

You may be asking yourself 'how will they know if I'm using a TV without a licence?' The answer is through a number of different methods.

At the heart of our operation is the TV Licensing database. It has details of over 26 million UK addresses.

Our officers have access to this computer system and a fleet of detector vans and hand-held detectors to track down and prosecute people who use a television without a licence. To find out how effective our methods are click here.

Each year it becomes easier to find and prosecute people breaking the law in this way.

So please be aware:

Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence.
Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence.

There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence,...

Been there.  Done that.  Got the t-shirt.

(and the license required to own the t-shirt)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Well since you brought it up, they even have roving vans with equipment to detect unlicensed TVs.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
so what happens if you own a TV and DVD player strictly to watch videos you rented or bought?  they still going to pinch you?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Germany too. Monthly licence fee for TV and radio equipment. For EACH receiver! That means the TV in the basement, and the radio in your car, and technically, even the TV card in your computer at work. The "inspectors" working for the GEZ (Gebühreneinzugszentrale, fee collecting central) are the spawn of Jehova's Witnesses, girl scouts, and the BATF.

If you don't pay, we'll turn off the TV!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was over there, I refused to pay the tax.

They could have my money when they pulled the remote from my cold dead hand.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone please tell me this is a joke-  Please.

If not, then this will add to my suspicion that the English are idiots, and pretty much deserve what they are getting.....

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't wait 'til our legislators try this stuff in the U.S.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this for real?? These guy drive around and look for people watching TV without a license?  This has got to be a joke.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is this for real?? These guy drive around and look for people watching TV without a license?  This has got to be a joke.

Nope. How else is england supposed to pay for the wonderfully liberal BBC?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Customer:
The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge.

Shopkeeper:
Housinge?

Customer:
It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant!. I never seen so many bleeding aerials. The man said that their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards! And Eric, being such a happy cat, was a piece of cake.

Give it time, and that will likely become reality. I like many things about the English (well, okay - I like their comedy and their beer), but this ready acceptance of BS like this (and weapons bans) baffles me. Good thing we broke away!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
revolt time
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
121 Pounds?

Isnt that like $200? Thats more than my  bloody telly cost!

Yep.  Oh, and that license is good for one year only.

It's an annual event.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#21]
The license fee is what pays for the BBC - so they get heavily taxed to be lied to. And the BBC has no pressure to be honest in their reportage, with no revenue at stake.
There is some heavy political dicussion in Britain recently about whether this system will continue - with all the Iraq war shenanigans the Beeb has been pulling, their remaining days of propaganda abuse are numbered.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. How else is england supposed to pay for the wonderfully liberal BBC?

Maybe from the 22% income tax. Thats EXACTLY what they take from the average guy. No filing they just take it from you never to be seen again. If you make more than Joe average it goes up to 40%.
Imagine making more than $28,000 and being taxed 40%!

Or
The 17.5% national sales tax

And don't forget the counsel tax.

or the road tax

I could go on and on. These people have no clue as to what quality of life is and the people in power keep them down and dumb on purpose. If they only knew.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
revolt time

The British are already revolting.

[/rimshot]

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
In the "Civil Disobedience Through Ridiculous Means" department, you could build a Faraday cage around the damn TV.  Detect THAT assholes.

On the up-side, the TV is a ridiculously omnipresent device in the US.. The national pastime is watching mindless crap on the boob tube.  One would hope the additional expense would deter that in the UK.  If that were the case, I would agree wholeheartedly with the result, if not the means used to achieve it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top