Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:20:15 AM EDT
I went on a cruise with Carnival few months ago and some how someone got my Visa number off the cruise ship.  They have a 'Sail and Sign' account where they give you a card and they keep your CC number on file and you pay for drinks with you ship card and it directly gets charged to your Visa after the cruise.  Visa called today and said they suspect fraudulent activity on my account.  Someone who worked on Carnival got ahold of my number and charged $200 in one of the port towns, then ordered about $4k worth of goodies.  Visa asked when the last time I used the card was and they are covering it all!
Took all the charges off.  I called Carnival and told them what happened, they assured me that it wasn't one of them.  They really didn't care.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont worry, I guarantee VISA will be calling Carnival and they will care.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
check your credit report soon.  That SUCKS!
Art in KY
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
We determined it was some fat ass bitch.  I guess the stores she ordered from catered to fat women.  I told Carnival after they really didn't seem to care that one of their fat workers in the Burser office was using my Visa,,,lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I called Carnival and told them what happened, they assured me that it wasn't one of them.  They really didn't care.

Yeah sure, because they probably give all their employees extensive background checks...  

At least they could have humored you by saying they'd look into it.

Well at least Visa covered it.  Pisses me off when they don't go after these people.  Most of the theives are morons and wouldn't be hard to track down.  Probably ordered the stuff shipped to their home address...

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the reason I carry Amex, a member since 1979, is they are always without exception are on my side not the recipients.  I learned the hardway if they don't take Amex, they don't  get a credit card number from me.  Visa without exception has always put the burden of proof on me in a dispute.  One major foul up and that Visa free user fee means very little anymore.

Stick to your guns my friend for right is right and is worth fighting for regardless the personal cost.

I know principle is corny these days but I'm a 19th century kind of guy.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of the reason I carry Amex, a member since 1979, is they are always without exception are on my side not the recipients.  I learned the hardway if they don't take Amex, they don't  get a credit card number from me.  Visa without exception has always put the burden of proof on me in a dispute.  One major foul up and that Visa free user fee means very little anymore.

Stick to your guns my friend for right is right and is worth fighting for regardless the personal cost.

Tj

Do most places take Amex?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tj

Do most places take Amex?

Most places worth shopping at do. No spending limit either.

-member since 1991.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Another reason to stay away from Carnival Cruise Lines, as if the numerous engine room fires and the food poisioning problems weren't enough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, my B&B doesn't take Amex, because we are a small business, and the Amex merchant and monthly fees are pure robbery.
Visa/MC are bad enough, but Amex is outrageous.
Some business travelers try to reserve on Amex, but when I explain this, they can always seem to turn up a Visa/MC card to use.
Amex can KMA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Another reason to stay away from Carnival Cruise Lines, as if the numerous engine room fires and the food poisioning problems weren't enough.

NEVER AGAIN

I've been on several cruises and that one was the 'poor boy' cruise.
I filled out the compliment card and told them I wanted a partial refund and they were not even in teh same league as the others.  No one contacted me, or called.  Royal or Princess would be jumping all over this and trying to win you back.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
When I explained the sad state of affairs with my SEBR purchase and the lack of response from the clowns at CCA, my Capital One visa was instantly credited and a charge back sent through to CCA.  They were good to work with.

Amex is also very good - I had some charges show up from London and other places in the UK on my amex card, so I called them.  I told them I hadn't been to London and didn't make those charges, and away they went never to be seen again.

In today's environment, paying by cash or check can be risky.  I like having the influence of the credit card companies on my side.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, my B&B doesn't take Amex, because we are a small business, and the Amex merchant and monthly fees are pure robbery.
Some business travelers try to reserve on Amex, but when I explain this, they can always seem to turn up a Visa/MC card to use.
Amex can KMA.

Well, then according to arowneragain I guess your place isn't worth visiting.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Never been on one of those cruises before, but I've  had the mysterious charges pop up before.... haven't figured out where the
last one originated from (where they got the card #)

Log on to see if my card had been charged for a particular item, and see that there's this charge for $500, to some place in London.
So I call the bank, (politely) to see WTF. The service lady said that it had been charged in London, at 3 AM (our time) the night
before, to some online European equivalent of a Wal-Mart. Needless to say, I contested it, and cancelled the card. Of course
they asked if I would prosecute if the thief was caught, and I said, "Yes" but that'll never happen, as it wasn't enough $$ for them
to go after the guy, in their minds.....

Digging deeper, the charge had been through some financial institution that dealt with risky transactions (not sure WTF
was up with that). They had an office in NY, so I called them. The funny thing is, the charge must have really pegged somebody's
BS meter there as well, as the second I gave the lady my name, she says, "Oh, this is about the charge in London, right?"
"Ummm... yeah. How'd you know?" It's here on this printout that I was given, and we wondered if it was legit or not." WTF is up with that?!

So I told her that my wife had been snoring next to me at 3 AM, and that I'd already contested the charges. She said "Okay, I'll make a
note of it on the account" and hung up.

Side note: About two months later, the bank calls me. "Remember the charge you contested back in July?"
"Yes, what about it?"
"That same company tried to charge your account, to get the $500 that they had credited back to us."
"Oh well, I guess they're SOL."
"Yes, they are. I just wanted you to know."

Some people.......
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Amex can KMA.

*scoffs*

We are rated Best B&B in town, and have received many awards for the place.
Lots of return business, and many raves about it's service and beauty.
We just don't take AmEx.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Amex can KMA.

*scoffs*

We are rated Best B&B in town, and have received many awards for the place.
Lots of return business, and many raves about it's service and beauty.
We just don't take AmEx.

[advertisement]but they DON't take American Express[/advertisement]

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I found Carnival catered to a very low class of people.  I'm not suprised they hire the dreggs.  Next time you cruise try Celebrity.  A few bucks more but the world of difference in class and treatment.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
(snip)

Tj

Ummm...you mean an 18th century kind of guy, doncha, Tom?

Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]

originally posted by Hannah Reitsch:
Amex can KMA.

Ok then. As a paid spokesperson for American Express, please allow me the courtesy to respond to your statement by arranging a get together in hopes of accomplishing succesfully a friendly session of Ass Kissing. Although AMEX refuses to lower the merchant fee, this employee extends you his deepest gratitude and thanks for such thrilling session.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Hahahaha!
Thanks for the kind offer, but I would rather have the cut in merchant rate and percentage.
Gotta hand it to you though, that is certainly going the extra mile for merchant service.
Very nice of you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No spending limit either.

No there is a limit - they just don't tell you what it is.

I've seen it AMEX cards denied twice for 'reaching their limit'.  One of those times it was during a business trip when the person needes some expensive test equipment ASAP.

That's when you find out AMEX doesn't really give a damen either.

I was a member - got rid of it years ago after similar issues.  With my Visa's I can use them anywhere and I know what limits the company is placing on me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Many small merchants will not accept Am Ex due to the terms of service.  They will yank money out of your acct to refund a customer on the customer's say so, with no investigation, no notification.  That is just no way to do business.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Also for years and years, AMEX made merchants wait for weeks for their money.  You had to send in copies of the slips with a certain form, and then play the waiting game to get your $$$$.  This was even after all the automated machine came out.  AMEX kept dragging merchants along, as long as they could.

Several years ago, when merchants started dropping AMEX like a bad habit, AMEX finally relented and got with the times.  They actually started electronically transfering the $$ to merchant's bank accounts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
considering that 99% of cruise ship employees are non-US citizens who depend on the tips it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of them
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#24]
As a merchant who accepts credit cards, I just want to point out for the record, VISA does NOT "cover it".  Every store where your card was used is going to recieve a "chargeback" notification.  VISA will take back the amount disputed plus a $25 (or so) chargeback fee on top of it, with the reason "card was stolen/card owner did not authorize transaction".  It's up to the merchant to go after the crook.  We get a fair share of chargebacks.  There is not much to do except go "that sucks". Prevention is the best bet, i.e. validating customers before they purchase.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a charge around about 6 dollars from Some Global market in Taipei appear on my capital one card 2 months in a row.  I called then both were credited right back and they blocked future transactions from there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
One of the reason I carry Amex...

....but I'm a 19th century kind of guy.

Tj

<cough, cough>

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One of the reason I carry Amex...

....but I'm a 19th century kind of guy.

Tj

<cough, cough>

Hey no shit now from the peanut gallery.  Now that I've seen your pic, you ain't much younger than me and have the same old fashioned ideas on right and wrong.

Bet you even like a good burbon and cigar rolled on the plump thighs of latin women too!

Tj

BTW, Sally's still fine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top