Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 5:36:10 PM EDT
Last night I was laying in bed and looked over at the night sights glowing on my .44.  I have a surefire 9d right next to it. Someone should make a tritium dot or something that goes on the endcap so it glows too. Be nice to be able to see both of them. Just a thought.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good idea.

Surefire would be a good choice for doing it, too, since the extra cost of the tritium capsule wouldn't make much of a dent in their sales – Anyone who already doesn't object to shelling out $90 for a flashlight probably isn't going to balk at paying $15 extra for this feature...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on how much tritium. it's very expensive. 50k a gram IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
how hard could it be to make an isotope of Hydrogen (3H) ?

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably pretty darn hard, considering that in nature there is only something like 0.01% of Hydrogen ions that is tritium.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just put a strip of luminescent tape on it.  I've got one on all my flashes and my multi-tool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
depends on how much tritium. it's very expensive. 50k a gram IIRC.

Most pistol sights have 3 tritium capsules and retail for, what, maybe $60 – and that includes the cost of the machined sights themselves. $15 for one capsule (that merely fits inside an existing part) doesn't sound out of line. I'd pay that much extra to be able to find my flashlight in the dark.

The problem with luminous tape (or paint) is that it requires some exposure to external light before it glows – And even then, it doesn't remain visible in the dark for more than several hours afterwards. That's an acceptable solution for a 90 cent flashlight, but not for a 90 dollar one...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Even at $50k per gram, the tritium you find in night sights, watches, et al., is in gas form. Those products use a glass tube with tritium gas inside. These tubes are called Trasers, and are not very expensive. "Each traser light is a laser sealed borosilicate glass vial which has been coated internally with phosphor. In one single process the traser is sealed by a CO2 laser and injected with gaseous Tritium. The low energy electrons emitted by the Tritium, excite the phosphor and this creates a cold energy which produces a low level light without filaments or heat dissipation and no risk of fire or explosion." Check out Ebay for some cool tritum products. There are some neat keychains and stuff that use Traser tubes, luminescence is warranted for 10+ years.

ETA: I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reasonably priced tailcap replacement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Surefire would be a good choice for doing it, too, since the extra cost of the tritium capsule wouldn't make much of a dent in their sales – Anyone who already doesn't object to shelling out $90 for a flashlight probably isn't going to balk at paying $15 extra for this feature...

You are right.

Some of us like to buy quality & high performance, and are willing to pay for it - especially for life saving equipment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right.

Some of us like to buy quality & high performance, and are willing to pay for it - especially for life saving equipment.

Yep I pay for what I know works, its my life and my money.
Top Top