Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 10:59:37 AM EDT
from DU      http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=2324282

rezmutt  (1000+ posts)      Tue Sep-07-04 11:46 PM
Original message
Does anyone else sense that home-grown violence is about to break out?

I am very concerned that one of these days, a freeper is going to start blasting away into a pro-Kerry or Democratic crowd, all in the name of * and Jesus ("The Lord told me to do it").

I hate to even put this dark thought out into the ether, but I cannot shake it. There have just been too many confrontations over political ideology reported in the news and here on DU that have either stopped just short of violence, or have resulted in fisticuffs. The kicking of a prone female demonstrator at the RNC comes immediately to mind. The mouthpieces of the right wing have repeatedly linked and blended the terms "liberal" and "Democratic" with "evil," "terrorist," "traitor," and so on. Sadly, therefore, it is not difficult to envision an unbalanced right-winger taking violent action against what he has been brainwashed into thinking are his enemies.

Our recent historical past has shown that extreme right wingers have not flinched when it comes to committing public violence in the name of their ideology -- Timothy McVeigh, Eric Rudolph, Paul Hill, quite probably the "Anthrax Killer," etc.

As John Kerry, Bill Clinton and other Democrats have pointed out, the GOP needs a divided country to maintain rule. A Kerry victory in November will not put an immediate end to this ideological division, as right-wing hate radio and the corporate media will continue to exploit the "Red-Blue State" split.

Are there any viable, possible solutions to help circumvent violent confrontations, or worse? Is there any way to engage in a dialogue between leaders of the left with leaders of the right?

This issue needs to be addressed sooner than later, and before it is too late.

maveric  (1000+ posts)      Tue Sep-07-04 11:53 PM
Response to Original message

5. I believe that RW/Xtian militant whackos are armed and ready.

Ashcroft and bu$h will not go out of their way to prevent attacks, nor will they try real hard to apprehend them if they do commit acts of violence.

"Change is the law

Lancer (144 posts)     Tue Sep-07-04 11:54 PM

8. I am not an alarmist by nature,

Edited on Tue Sep-07-04 11:56 PM by Lancer
but I can tell you I have received several emails today from dear, level-headed friends who echo my own same, sick feeling.

I had a dream two weeks ago I shared with no one. John Kerry was shot (but not fatally, thank God) while taking his jacket off before he began speaking at an outdoor rally.

It was devastating.

I have also begun to worry that some group of homegrown nutjobs might pull off something like the Russian school massacre here at home.

It is very, very difficult to remain upbeat. (Plus there's a lot of unrelated personal &^%* going on right now that makes it harder to keep a stiff upper lip.)

Hope we are both wrong, rez.

nothingshocksmeanymore  (1000+ posts)      Tue Sep-07-04 11:56 PM

9. About to? It already has

The McVeigh's and Rudolph's are already over the top. If we had an attorney general that was worth his weight in horseshit, he would be going after these people aggressively....the right wing is no less dangerous than the madrassas they like to scar us with abroad...heck...how many stories have there been just this year about chemicals and gunpowders stockpiled by RW individuals in Texas that they stumbled upon accidentally? There have been at least three that I recall.

KT2000  (724 posts)       Tue Sep-07-04 11:57 PM

10. RW includes some violent people

A couple years ago I was getting estimates for a new roof. One fellow drove into my driveway, got out of his truck and said "All Democrats are liars!" He was no doubt listening to RW radio.
A few days later he was arrested for pulling a rifle on a deputy who was investigating him for illegal burning.

Another time I had just gotten into my car at the grocery store when a man driving a truck with RW bumper stickers all over it rammed his truck into a shopping cart so it would smash into my car (he may have thought I had left it there, but I didn't). Thankfully the cart had a goofy wheel and it wouldn't go straight.

RW media is constantly inciting these people. They have a screw loose to begin with, then they hear all the hate - all day and all night. Yes, something is going to happen.

I think we need to have an open discussion of what effect this media is having on people. Brian Lamb tried to say that Air America is just as bad as all the RW media - but he is wrong. RW media is built on stoking anger and resentment.

KT2000  (724 posts)       Wed Sep-08-04 02:21 AM
Response to Reply #20

22. RW depends on creating enemies

the daylong drone of RW media is very much about creating enemies for the listener. They incite anger and attempt to turn people against anyone who does not believe the particular talking point.

Throw the righteousness of being the party of God into the mix too.

An important part of the RW agenda is that which is favored by the NRA - no restrictions on weapon ownership.
How many times have they made up stories out of whole cloth - Clinton killed people? he was a drug dealer? Kerrey went to Viet Nam with the intention of injuring himself so he could get a purple heart?

Sure some DU comments are pretty bad but I think there is a big difference. The RW media is a coordinated message that is being heard on radio, FOX and churches.

Democrats are not listening to daylong radio to tell them what to think. They generally have to look for the information and have never been very organized.

AmerDem (978 posts)       Wed Sep-08-04 12:05 AM

14. something is defiantly brewing

I wouldn't stand back and watch my country over taken by a new fascist empire!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
This coming from people that are more likely to use violence when you don't buy their bullshit but by the same token think that guns are "icky".

I DO however think if TSHTF it WILL be along red/blue lines.  Let it also be known that I for one will NOT be instigating ANYTHING.  Mine will be a RESPONSE to violence directed at me, no execptions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
These asswipes missed the video of the NYC protester hitting the Republican delegate?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
They're deathly afraid of everything that doesn't benefit them.
I think it's wonderful that they are afraid of all the people out there with guns. That means I probably won't have to shoot more than 2-3 before the rest of the mob turns and runs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
they're obviously in a different world than i am.  i hate what some of the left stands for, but i'm not going to do anything but laugh at them and vote for different things.  i have friends and relatives that are going to vote the opposite of me this Nov.  do i hate them?  of course not.

i think it's very isolated that people commit violent crimes because of their political beliefs, at least in this country.  violence has more to do with drugs, alcohol, gangs, and relationship problems.

of course, some of the left wingers believe the republicans killed paul wellstone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Guess the asstards didn't see the videos of the Protest Warriors being ASSAULTED outside of the RNC.    Didn't see other protesters attack them and try to tear up their signs.  

Duplicitous bastards.  I have yet to hear about any Repubs or counter protesters getting violent toward them.   I didn't hear if there were even protests outside the DNC... if so, I bet they were MUCH more civil than the ones at the RNC.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Which party had shots fired into one of their campaign offices during their convention.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
These asswipes missed the video of the NYC protester hitting the Republican delegate?

Because they wanter to miss it...What about the cop that got stomped-It wasn't RW'ers(as they like to label us)
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I read the title and thought it was gonna be about an arfcommer.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
One word:

PRO-JECK-SHUN
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Come on everybody, let's just have a big group hug with these nincompoops and set our differances aside.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe these idiots. I think I read one post in that thread that actually sounded like a voice of reason over there. Most likely an arfcommer troll because the rest of them just can't seem to think clearly with the tinfoil strapped so tightly to their heads.

It is this sort of "us - good; them - bad" mentality that breeds de-humanization and, in the end, violence. If we cannot see that there are or could be ticking time-bombs in our midst too, we are fooling ourselves. Just an occasional read of DU forums gives an inkling; the flame wars & attacks on "low post" participants, the irrational obsession with attacking the other side and flinging infantile epithets at them & each other, etc. Pick your poison. It doesn't need much to fan into a face-off, then a shoving match, then...

Anyway, I agree that violence is rising up to the surface. Anything is possible: shootings, attacks, bombings, riots ... and it'll be small numbers from every side initiating it and the mob just going along. If we don't all stop demonizing and finger-pointing and "they did it first"-ing, we're all going to be screwed.

Have a nice day.
~Mich

When will people realize that stupid people are everywhere. It's not your political affiliation that makes you a violent person.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Gawd if these idiots weren't so pathetic this would be funny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Come on everybody, let's just have a big group hug with these nincompoops and set our differances aside.

You go ahead.  I would like to keep my lunch down.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
That guy is so paranoid that he probably thinks the people in the huddle during the Superbowl are talking about him...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
edit - removed something I meant to post in another thread.

Ya know, that's not a bad way to do a +1...

We need to be aware of this, and not give the "other side" any excuses.  That means being more polite, more civil, more reasoned and articulate, and show undecided observers the REAL danger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Heck-I thought this was another tread about sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm beginning to think the greatest threat to this country isn't terrorism; it's mental illness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top