Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2006 3:39:24 PM EDT
I was bored and took a spin over to the local pawn shop. Everynow and then they have something partially worth buying, today happened to be one of those days

I was paroosing the cases and among the overpriced Rugers, Glocks, and Taurus's I noticed a $200 tag....It was a S&W Sigma, they normally have them overpriced around $375 or so. Not this one though. So I asked to see it and man, they had the pretty side facing up and the ugly side down. It took some force to even get the side off.

Here is how she looked:

Now she's all cleaned up, and I didn't pay $200 either, I got her for $125 because they like me  My new S&W 40VE

I know alot of folks here don't like Smith autos, but having no experience with them I thought I'd give them a chance. Also going to buy some replacement parts just in case, and a couple extra mags too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.  Nice find.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Great steal - at that price its certainly worth it.  What did you use to get the surface rust off?

A buddy had a 9mm Sigma, shot well, trigger pull was kind of long but light, nothing horrible.

Wish I could find deals like that!

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't beat that!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice deal man.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great steal - at that price its certainly worth it.  What did you use to get the surface rust off?

A buddy had a 9mm Sigma, shot well, trigger pull was kind of long but light, nothing horrible.

Wish I could find deals like that!

CLP and steal wool, the ARFcom way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
cool! Is that a rail system at the front?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I go to pawn shops on occasion and look at what they have.  Went to one today and the had a SAR1 priced at $499

Anyway, I once asked them why they didn't take the time to break them down and clean them, and was told that it wasn't worth their time.  I figure if they took the time to properly clean them, they might actually get the high price they ask.

Great deal by the way!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Gosh, such tiny pictures!  PLease, geeze, if you want us to see ANYTHING, it must be at LEAST 1200x1600!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cool! Is that a rail system at the front?

Yep, and I think someone is selling the correct light for it in the EE. I might need that
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
those sure are some pretty pictures of the exterior of a gun with INTERIOR rust.

Now fess up and show us what the gun lookes inside after you cleaned it.

Im sure its fine, and you did get an excellent deal by the way!

make sure to keep it well oiled from now on though. It seems like after you get rust once, it comes back 20 times easier from then on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Sigma SW9V , not to be confused with the 9VE which incorporated several changes, I believe to deviate a bit from the Glock design.

it was a good enough shooter. not the most accurate by any means, but it would go bang when you pulled the trigger. Traded it in on a Sig P228.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice find, but for about $75 more you could have had one new with a warranty.

It's a shooter though, so as long as it shoots it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
those sure are some pretty pictures of the exterior of a gun with INTERIOR rust.

Now fess up and show us what the gun lookes inside after you cleaned it.

Im sure its fine, and you did get an excellent deal by the way!

make sure to keep it well oiled from now on though. It seems like after you get rust once, it comes back 20 times easier from then on.

Well, I couldn't get all that rust off, I got the majority of it though. Thats why I stated that I was going to get some replacement parts. All of the surface rust came of the barrel, the recoil spring probably needs to be replaced, and some of the  smaller parts may need replacing but the are in usable condition right now.

This won't be a gun that I use for a protection piece, just a plinker, until the parts are replaced and I judge it's reliablity for myself.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]
the before pics look like that pistol was used as a buttplug.

Congrats on cleaning it up so well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My old roommate had that same gun, I hated it. Compaired to my CZ is was a joke. But for what you paid I might have even jumped on it. HE did have the read sight fall off mid mag once though. Have fun plinking!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Uh, that's "PERUSING",  not "paroosing".

Nice find.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Uh, that's "PERUSING",  not "paroosing".

Nice find.

CJ

I knew there was a gramar nazi in the crowd somewhere

Here is the insie after, sorry the pic is dark.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The recoil spring looks broken,  your spare parts order should probably include an entire set of replacement springs. And you might consider posting those pics in the S&W forum in the handguns section.  There's a few guys there with Sigmas.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Smith used to service used guns under there lifetime warrenty.Give em a call before you spend any money on replacement parts.The worst they can say is no.Great deal btw.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya know, blood will cause a lot of rapid rusting. You sure you're not the proud owner of a suicide gun?

Not to be a kill-joy or anything...
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, problem.

Loaded a mag and tried to cycle and the slide stopped with the round not fully seated so I bumped the back of the slide. Now the action won't cycle at all, it's stuck

Any ideas? I guess I'll be going out back tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ya know, blood will cause a lot of rapid rusting. You sure you're not the proud owner of a suicide gun?

Not to be a kill-joy or anything...

+1 we used to buy police evidence guns

they looked like that outside OK inside almost rusted shut

the cops  wipe off the outside to get um sold

I looked at your pics again
Im 95% certain that is what that rust is from

as for it being locked up  I would check to make sure the striker moves

or the recoil spring is fubar
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK, problem.

ideas?

expensive hunk of metal to throw down range at the target?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit that gun looks great compared to these.

The dumb ass I bought my house from left these on top of a cabinet in the basement. I got a call from the realtor a month after the closing.  The only reason I gave them back was that they in such poor shape I would never have been willing to shoot them.  FWIW the S&W would be worth $750 in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#25]
perhaps the previous owner was of the "piss on it and bury it to antique it" school?

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
hmm I saw rusted guns laying on the ground after Katrina. Salt water could do that don't ya think...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, about 500rds later:

The slide problem has fixed itself
Nothing has broken
No misfires, FTFs, FTEs

I actually kinda like the feel of this little gem, I like it better than my G17 that I used to have

That is all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Anytime you can get a name brand firearm for $125 you do it....whether you need it or not. Its a good investment, so long as its a shooter. Hell, you probably resell it for a profit if you were so inclined.

I say good find. I wouldnt have paid $200, but for the price you paid, you done well!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Previous owner was a beach lifeguard, that was his duty weapon. Even swam with it
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

...It was a S&W Sigma,

Good God, its a Glock with a S&W insignia

(I've never seen a Sigma stripped down)
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Word, I thout I trew dat gat in da river. Wherd you git it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...It was a S&W Sigma,

Good God, its a Glock with a S&W insignia

(I've never seen a Sigma stripped down)

LOL, S&W got sued over the older model I believe. They had to make some changes, what I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#33]
sweet deal, a friend has one in 40 and it kept having a ftf. we opened the mags up to like .400 ID. no problem now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top