Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 11:51:06 AM EDT
Hi all,

Hands down, which is better.  I think wolfenstien is better on the graphics end and is just plain fun.  SOF is a damn good tactical shooter.  But lacks a bit on the graphics.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Hands down, which is better.  I think wolfenstien is better on the graphics end and is just plain fun.  SOF is a damn good tactical shooter.  But lacks a bit on the graphics.
View Quote

Played the demo to SOF.  Didn't like it...SOF2 on the other hand rocks, great graphics and pain in the ass AI.  RTCW, gotta love that flame thrower (love writing my name in the sky), the MP is great, SP is alright but the storyline is so so.  Haven't played SOF2 MP yet or the randomized scenarios but I've heard mostly good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you want to see some excellent graphics in a single player game?  Repeat after me:

MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT.

By far the best graphics I've seen on a single player game.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello.

I will just throw a recommendation. Why don't you try out Ghost Recon and its mission pack Desert Siege? Coupled with Piccolo's Navy SEALs v2, you will have most realism in the tactical shooters hands down.

You can get Navy SEALs v2 mod from theplatoon.com
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dude, you want to see some excellent graphics in a single player game?  Repeat after me:

MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT.

By far the best graphics I've seen on a single player game.
View Quote

MOH and Ghost Recon are good too.  Just going by what he had listed...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Best Overall game goes to operation flashpoint.

Plays alittle stiff, but is by far the most heart pounding, real life game you can play.
This game is the start of the new style FPS that will take off someday.

Best overall Shoot em up style FPS.

Well it WAS Metal of Honer.
but ladies and gents we have a new champ.

I picked up SOF2 this weekend.
OMFG, the best FPS around.

The weapons and damage area's are so realistic!!
OK lets start at the weapons that I've came across SO FAR in single player.

1911 or HK tactical.
The HK comes with silencer, flashlight, or laser sight. (you can also hold a handgun in each if you like!)

Then a Mossburg 590.
Finally a shotgun in a computer game thats realistic. In CQB a real winner, just like real life, packs a serious punch!

Then SMG's.
Mini UZI ( you can hold one in each hand!)
Grease Gun

Next is rifles
My Fav, the M4 with M203, and select fire!
Or a AK74 with Bayo.

The next is a HK sniper with 20x scope.

Night vision is actually night vision! Not a green tint with contrast turned up like most other games night vision.

The AI in this game ROCKS!!
Enemies actually use Cover!!
Fighting angles become the key to victory, just like in real life.

Some fun stuff- I shot the firearm out of the thugs hands, he ran around scared shitless until I ran up close to him, stuck my gun in his face, then got on his knee's and surrendered. (of course, in a video game, I don't take prisoners)

More fun stuff- I changed my M4 to single shot  to take a long range shot for the head.
Hit the thugs hat instead, hat fell off his head, thug looks down at hat, then runs for cover.

Hitting running enemies can at times be difficult. The best way I can explain is like this, in counterstrike it was very easy to hit running targets, almost like your bullet was 4 times the actual size of the bullet, wide damage area.
In SOF2, your bullet is actually the size of the bullet, so if you shoot in-between his arm and Body, it will actually go in between his arm and body and not hit him, other FPS, this would have somehow been a hit.

SOF2 is a MUST HAVE!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, I'm getting tired of you clowns talking about Ghost recon is "the most realistic" game around.

Operation flashpoint is by far the winner in this catagory.
Those that think otherwise have never played it, or never gave it a chance.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Best Overall game goes to operation flashpoint.

Plays alittle stiff, but is by far the most heart pounding, real life game you can play.
This game is the start of the new style FPS that will take off someday.

Best overall Shoot em up style FPS.

Well it WAS Metal of Honer.
but ladies and gents we have a new champ.

I picked up SOF2 this weekend.
OMFG, the best FPS around.

The weapons and damage area's are so realistic!!
OK lets start at the weapons that I've came across SO FAR in single player.

1911 or HK tactical.
The HK comes with silencer, flashlight, or laser sight. (you can also hold a handgun in each if you like!)

Then a Mossburg 590.
Finally a shotgun in a computer game thats realistic. In CQB a real winner, just like real life, packs a serious punch!

Then SMG's.
Mini UZI ( you can hold one in each hand!)
Grease Gun

Next is rifles
My Fav, the M4 with M203, and select fire!
Or a AK74 with Bayo.

The next is a HK sniper with 20x scope.

Night vision is actually night vision! Not a green tint with contrast turned up like most other games night vision.

The AI in this game ROCKS!!
Enemies actually use Cover!!
Fighting angles become the key to victory, just like in real life.

Some fun stuff- I shot the firearm out of the thugs hands, he ran around scared shitless until I ran up close to him, stuck my gun in his face, then got on his knee's and surrendered. (of course, in a video game, I don't take prisoners)

More fun stuff- I changed my M4 to single shot  to take a long range shot for the head.
Hit the thugs hat instead, hat fell off his head, thug looks down at hat, then runs for cover.

Hitting running enemies can at times be difficult. The best way I can explain is like this, in counterstrike it was very easy to hit running targets, almost like your bullet was 4 times the actual size of the bullet, wide damage area.
In SOF2, your bullet is actually the size of the bullet, so if you shoot in-between his arm and Body, it will actually go in between his arm and body and not hit him, other FPS, this would have somehow been a hit.

SOF2 is a MUST HAVE!!
View Quote

Yeah, Operation Flashpoint was good as well, will have to give it another chance.  There was a few things I did not like about it but overall its a good game.

Heh like I said, SOF2 has pain in the ass AI.

Can someone tell me how you zoom in and out with the biniculars and sniper rifle in SOF2?  Too ignorant to figure it out.  Looked over the controls and I guess I'm missing something.

Never had them get on their knees and surrender...had them drop their guns and run around in circles like sissies though...[:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
use the + and - keys to zoom in and out.  i ahve seen them run like a sissy and then ended their short run.  i have shot the arms off of them and laughed.  it is good, but i think the people looked better in RTCW.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
use the + and - keys to zoom in and out.  i ahve seen them run like a sissy and then ended their short run.  i have shot the arms off of them and laughed.  it is good, but i think the people looked better in RTCW.
View Quote

Hmmm tried that, maybe I didn't hit shift or something, will try again.  What pisses me off is if you give them the chance after the run like sissies a little they'll pick up the gun and shoot at you again...

The people may look slightly better in RTCW, however SOF2 is a lot more realistic, and I'm not talking about the zombies and stuff.  Meaning the guns and whatnot.  Just consider SOF2 a better game...but MOHAA is good too...as is Operation Flashpoint.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this site. Just started....

http://tacticalgaming.net/

Shameless plug for my brothers' site[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Doh, I was hoping he hosted the FTP stuff himself.

Another sorry ass link to Fileplanet.
Boo
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
MurderSHO45,  I don't know a damn thing about 'puter games. [>:/] Thought it might be worth lookin' at.  

They're just startin'. Any input on the forum would probably be appreciated.

One day I'll buy another computer, instead of guns n ammo,so I can start playin' some of these games I keep hearin' about[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
RTCW is the best multiplayer game out there. The only problem I have is with some maps tilted toward the axis and the german stick grenade seens to have a short fuse and in real life the potato masher was known to have a long fuse. And why is it so hard to kill someone with a .45 and so much easier to kill with a 9mm? Cheaters?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RTCW is the best multiplayer game out there. The only problem I have is with some maps tilted toward the axis and the german stick grenade seens to have a short fuse and in real life the potato masher was known to have a long fuse. And why is it so hard to kill someone with a .45 and so much easier to kill with a 9mm? Cheaters?
View Quote

Heh I'm real good at killing people with pistols...faster that the machine gun rate of fire, only thing is you only get 8 rounds...[:(]

Yeah, RTCW MP is probably the best out there (my one real gripe about the game is you don't get a M1 Garand...of all the rifles, no Garand!!!), tried MOHAA MP demo and didn't care for it, will try again someday, it was probably the map they let you use I didn't like.  Never tried Ghost Recon or Op Flash or SOF2 yet...someday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Operation Flashpoint is the most realistic sodleir sim, but not with the tanks and helicopters that behave like arcade vehicles.

The loadout is backwards too. Instead of 6 'nades/4 mags, it should be 4'nades/6mags.

OFP is very huge, with tons of add-ons.

Ghost Recon looks better, but is not "realistic" by any real stretch of the imagination. It has the same AI issues that R6 had, such as enemy soldiers who dont have to wait for their aiming reticle to close in. The enemy can also stand off at 150+yds and get perfect head shots with an AK from an unsurported posture.

lib/110 [url]http://www.theplatoon.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]
DVDTracker:  " I've been enjoying (or swearing at) SOF2 quite a bit. The Mossberg 590 seems a bit too powerful though. Even at long range, it's still quite deadly. Have you had guys throw grenades back at you yet?"

I like the Mossberg more than the "assault" auto shotgun.  For some reason it seems the Mossberg hits harder & shooting full auto the other rises so much you're blasting holes in the ceiling.  The AK74 is somewhat better than the M4 for this reason but the M203 makes up for the difference.  

Re 'return to sender' grenades:  I hate it when they do that.  Now that I know that you can hold the grenades for a bit before throwing it has cut down on the computer goons throwing them back.  It is kinda amusing to watch them pick them up to throw back & they run out of fuse [{:D]  I especially like the screams whenever you get one with the white phosphorous...  Using the sniper rifle or OICW to shoot the guns out of their hands at long range is fun also.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My favorite is to remove all limbs from  a person.  Sometimes when you shoot them with the shotgun, you blow an arm off.  I try to knock off the other arm, then a leg the the other leg before the guy dies.  It is like a suttle revenge for all of the cussing that game causes  lol.  Im in the hong kong level and i really wish that i had an ar in that level.  i dont really like the uzis.  you gotta shoot them in the face before anyone dies.   great game all the same.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top