Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 8:10:45 PM EDT
Went to pour a bottle of heet in the wife's gas tank and she asked a question I wanted to toss up here. If you run out of gas, can you pour a bottle of Heet (kept in trunk or otherwise) into the tank to get the ~1 mile to a gas station?

Assuming that most times there would be a small amount of gas to slightly dilute the Isopropanol*, would it be relatively safe to run?

*Iso-Heet MSDS

-rf
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you'd get anywhere.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It would most likely get you 12 oz. of Heet in your gas tank and a car that still won't start.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You'd get an immobile car, with a quart of Heet in the gas tank.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it also.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It would most likely get you 12 oz. of Heet in your gas tank and a car that still won't start.

most likely this as your engine fuel to oxygen ratios will need to be changed...

Alcohol has some Oxygen in it so it will require less O2 input.  Running such a lean mix is probably a bad idea.  Your better off having your wife push the car to the nearest gas station while you listen to the radio or something
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You'd get an immobile car, with a quart of Heet in the gas tank.

This about sums it up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've run gasoline powered engines on paint thinner.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am sure that somebody makes a quart size sealed steel container that you could keep gasoline stored in for emergencies.

ETA: Come to think of it, my Neon has a container underneath it that stores 10.5 gallons of gasoline, with that available I never run out of gas before I get to the gas station.

What a weird coincidence, my TIburon has a container underneath it that holds 15 gallons of gasoline. And I think I saw those containers for gasoline for sale at the gas station too. I'm reasonably certain you could fit at least one, possibly several, into the trunk of most cars.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
HEET is 99% Methanol, so it might get you going. But you would have severe overtemps and knock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

most likely this as your engine fuel to oxygen ratios will need to be changed...

Alcohol has some Oxygen in it so it will require less O2 input.  Running such a lean mix is probably a bad idea.  Your better off having your wife push the car to the nearest gas station while you listen to the radio or something

Meh, I don't plan on marrying. I have a harem of teenage girls to meet my needs; marrying one of them would be redundant and just entitle her to half my stuff and half my paycheck if she decides to leave me.

Currently, I have three in my harem. If I run out of gas (which is unlikely) one can be giving me a blowjob while I listen to the radio and the other two push. When the first girl is finished, she can hop and push with the others.

Also, three girls at once is awesome. Just lay on your back and cuddle with one under each arm while the third straddles you. Swap 'em out as necessary. I can not overstate how awesome this is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Won't do a damn thing.

Make sure she keeps a small (empty) emergency gas can in her trunk, because in that situation, it's time to walk that mile and back.

Also, teach her never to run her tank below 1/4.  Most gauges are not reliable at the very low end of the range, due to the shape of the tank.

ETA: Ask me how many times I've almost learned this the hard way, by not filling up at 1/4 because "I don't have far to go", only to wind up stuck in an unexpected traffic jam with a tank getting dangerously low .
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

HEET is 99% Methanol, so it might get you going. But you would have severe overtemps and knock.

Iso-Heet is isopropanol.

ETA:

I keep it around for camp stove fuel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
What if his wife sprays an entire can of starter fluid into the gas tank?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've run gasoline powered engines on paint thinner.

I've passed DEQ with no cats on denatured alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Why? AKI is high.  The only issue would be lean burn if an old carb model.  It wouldn't run good but it wouldn't run hot.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I would think you would need more liquid just to get the pump primed after running a tank dry
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would think you would need more liquid just to get the pump primed after running a tank dry

All fuel tanks will have about 1/2-1 gallon that is not usable.  This will dilute the Isoheet and it should run OK.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I don't plan on marrying. I have a harem of teenage girls to meet my needs; marrying one of them would be redundant and just entitle her to half my stuff and half my paycheck if she decides to leave me.

Currently, I have three in my harem. If I run out of gas (which is unlikely) one can be giving me a blowjob while I listen to the radio and the other two push. When the first girl is finished, she can hop and push with the others.

Also, three girls at once is awesome. Just lay on your back and cuddle with one under each arm while the third straddles you. Swap 'em out as necessary. I can not overstate how awesome this is.

Whatever, virgin.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All fuel tanks will have about 1/2-1 gallon that is not usable.  This will dilute the Isoheet and it should run OK.

yes sorry meant it as more of a figure of speech but running it low enough to have it die is the extra 12oz going to make any difference

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Whatever, virgin.

I don't remember seeing Dave_A post in this thread.

I'm here all weekend.

Try the veal and remember to tip your waitress.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top