Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 11:55:38 AM EDT
Anyone else? Cool dive, O/W can dive it but I wouldn't recommend it unless your cave/cavern cert'ed....

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That was such a great video.  I have been to a number of cenotes (just to jump in and swim around, never diving) and each time I get that feeling of being in space.  Not knowing what's beneath you or how far down it goes.  The tequila could have something to do with that.

My favorite is Ik Kil.  Very touristy, but the cliffs are fun and the environment is amazing.

ETA: Sorry my post was very SCUBA'ish.  I thought I was still stuck in the vortex of GD.  Move/delete as needed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was such a great video.  I have been to a number of cenotes (just to jump in and swim around, never diving) and each time I get that feeling of being in space.  Not knowing what's beneath you or how far down it goes.  The tequila could have something to do with that.

My favorite is Ik Kil.  Very touristy, but the cliffs are fun and the environment is amazing.

ETA: Sorry my post was very SCUBA'ish.  I thought I was still stuck in the vortex of GD.  Move/delete as needed.
View Quote

To be clear, that is NOT my video. At one point, I used to think Cave was the coolest thing one could do diving but honestly I was a tad bored with it. One neat thing that all the divers missed except the DM, was someone had left a small Barbi doll laying in the sand 1/3 of the way in. Was kind of strange to be gliding along checking things out and see a doll, I chucked a little and thought about taking it as a souvenir but decided to leave it for others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I've dove two different cenotes on the Yucatan while on a trip to CZM a few years ago.  It was awesome.  One of these days I'll get my cave card.  I mostly dive deep wrecks in the Great Lakes.  I'm TDI Advanced Trimix.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've dove two different cenotes on the Yucatan while on a trip to CZM a few years ago.  It was awesome.  One of these days I'll get my cave card.  I mostly dive deep wrecks in the Great Lakes.  I'm TDI Advanced Trimix.
View Quote

Diving in the lakes, no thank you....too cold even with dry suit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll never see better preserved shipwrecks anywhere other than the Great Lakes.  Some have been down for over 150 years and they look like they went down last year.  I say there is no better diving.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You'll never see better preserved shipwrecks anywhere other than the Great Lakes.  Some have been down for over 150 years and they look like they went down last year.  I say there is no better diving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard and seen the photos, still cold water diving to me is 65 degrees; can't imagine the GL stuff at 40 even with dry suit. Better diving, don't know about that; Truk has to hold that for wrecks and Bonaire for O/W. Depends on what you're calibration is set for....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I made this same dive last year in September.  It was really pretty cool.  This interesting part is driving into the jungle and to dive down into what looked like the dark corner of a pond, then go for about 900 yds.  
The down side was I had some ear regulation issues and had problems going up or down about 21'.  This dive was up and down the entire time.  Down to about 35', up to 10'.  

I had several days of diving planned that trip but it was in Hurricane season and they had the harbor shut down due to weather.  So go diving in the Caves, weather is not a concern there!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've heard and seen the photos, still cold water diving to me is 65 degrees; can't imagine the GL stuff at 40 even with dry suit. Better diving, don't know about that; Truk has to hold that for wrecks and Bonaire for O/W. Depends on what you're calibration is set for....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truk's wrecks have been decomposing in warm salt water for 70 years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True but there's more history interest for me plus I like warm, clear water. I won't rule out diving the lakes but it's not really on my things to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I made this same dive last year in September.  It was really pretty cool.  This interesting part is driving into the jungle and to dive down into what looked like the dark corner of a pond, then go for about 900 yds.  
The down side was I had some ear regulation issues and had problems going up or down about 21'.  This dive was up and down the entire time.  Down to about 35', up to 10'.  

I had several days of diving planned that trip but it was in Hurricane season and they had the harbor shut down due to weather.  So go diving in the Caves, weather is not a concern there!!
View Quote

The variance is depth is the same in the FL caves for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Did it a couple of years back. Awesome dive.
[http://s835.photobucket.com/user/Aigtbootbp/media/Cancun%202012/DSC03933.jpg.html][/URL]

Beautiful....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep did it on spring break back in college. Although, I though it was Taj Mahal. Ha! Also did Ponderosa in that area. Great dive and then had a blast jumping off the rock cliffs into the deep entry pool.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top