Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:33:54 PM EDT
She getting her other shots today.  I guess its an optional one.  The Doctor strongly recommends it.  What do you all have to say?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I say yes.

I got chicken pox at 32...it wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
like chicken pots if a big deal? if you want to pay for it.  sure why not?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How's your child's immune system othewise?  In Texas, it's required that they either get the vaccine, or have had chickenpox before they can go to school.  Get in touch with other parents, and let them know if their kids get chickenpox, you want to take your kid over and rub them together. (yes, I know it's an airborne virus, much like the cold or flu).

I always thought you caught all that stuff in K-3 .

I had chicken pox twice. Once when I was real young so I'm told, then when I was like 7.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If the Doc seems competent why question him ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want my take.....

If your child does not naturally contract the chicken pox by age 12 or so, then get the shot. This is provided that your child has a normal immune system.

I am not a doctor, but I did stay at the holiday inn express last night
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

People like you spend more time researching their car/home/computer purchases than they spend asking questions that impact their physical well being. Doctors are practicing for a reason....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]

During the past year, I had an outbreak of Shingles.  Shingles is a re-awakening of the chicken pox virus, which remains (usually dormant) in your body from childhood, assuming you had chicken pox as a child.  My case of Shingles was mild, but it was still very painful.  Unless I'm missing something, I would not have had the Shingles outbreak if I had not had chicken pox as a child.  

I say give 'em the vaccine.  It should protect them from inconvenient illness as a child and more serious, painful illness as an adult.  If you have concerns, discuss them with the physician.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Mr.jowley,
I say do it, chicken pox vaccine is good stuff. Very mild side effects, local soreness at injection site -most common side effect, fever and rash, and not to scare you but in rare instances febrile seizures. Benefits are you child becomes immune to not only chicken pox but shingles which is painful and lasts alot longer. One shot and you can save them from a painful infection and disfigurement. I have 2 girls and they both got it with no side effects at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, do it.  

Our daughter got CP when she was 8 months old.  Pretty bad too.  She did fine and now she doesnt even rememeber it.

Go for it.

I was 28 when I got the pox and I wanted to die...

LB
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
when your older it is bad.   I got it when i was 32.  I was out of work for a week and flat on my back for about three days.  i had just enough strength to stumble into the kitchen, heat a bowl of soup and fall back in bed.

i was exposed to the chicken pox when i was a child several times and never got it.  i don't have a clue how i got it at 32 as i was never around anyone.    
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#13]
voice of dissent here. I did not vaccinate our youngest for chicken pox and I won't unless he has not had them before entering school and it is a mandatory vaccine. FYI folks, it is not 100% effective for prevention of getting chicken pox, noted though that those with the vaccine who contract chicken pox have milder cases then without the vaccine. I talked with my pediatrician several times before I declined the vaccine completely and he supported me 100% in my decision.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you guys see the episode of south park where the parents infect the kids with chicken pox?

"what's herpes"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am not a doctor, but I did stay at the holiday inn express last night hr

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People like you spend more time researching their car/home/computer purchases than they spend asking questions that impact their physical well being. Doctors are practicing for a reason....

Actually I consult a doctor for his opinion and information when need be..  So your wrong
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Getting a vaccine is always better than contracting the disease. Why risk anything bad happening to your kids when it can be avoided? Conventional wisdom says that it's no big deal to get chickenpox as a kid, but it's just as likely to be pretty bad. We got our kids vaccinated, not a moment of hesitation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Both of my children had the Chicken Pox vaccination as infants.

--and--

Both of my children got the Chicken Pox.  My son when he was seven and my daughter (2yrs old) one week after my son had it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm with MrsGungHo on this one.  Better to just get chickenpox, rather than an unneccessary vaccination.

"unneccessary vaccination"?

The most common complication of severe chickenpox illness in these groups of people is a bacterial infection that can involve many sites of the body including the skin around the blisters, bones, lungs, joints, and the blood. Other serious complications are due to the virus itself infecting the organs and include viral pneumonia, bleeding problems, and inflammation of the brain (encephalitis).

Anyone who has had chickenpox as a child is at risk for a complication later in life called shingles. After an infection, some of the varicella-zoster virus may remain inactive in nerve cells near the spinal cord. Many years later, the virus can reactivate and resurface as shingles. When it reactivates, it affects the nerve to the skin. Symptoms, such as a tingling feeling, itching, or pain followed by a rash with red bumps and blisters appear only in the area of the skin that the nerve goes to.

Sure - most people as adolescents have only minor symptoms, but I'd hate to be the one whose kid gets seriously ill because I chose not to vaccinate.

Sorry - have to disagree with you on this one Glof.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#22]

YES.

Chicken Pox as a child is annoying.

Chicken Pox as an adult CAN BE FATAL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#23]
NO chicken pox is not life threatening. I have an autistic brother, a dead cousin (sids), and another cousin with lupus all caused by vaccines. It is a scam and the docotrs do not tell you the truth because they do not know the truth. They are not taught the truth about this subject. You should research vaccines. There are a ton of websites out there to bone up about it.

Basically the subject boils down to this. Vaccines are NOT as safe as they would have you believe. They keep adding more and more vaccines to the list to get every year. They do not give accurate side effect information at the docotors. If there is a side effect they blame it on something else. They cannot narrow down which vaccine caused the reaction because the shots are given wtih multiple vaccines in each shot. (How can you tell which one caused a reaction so they say NONE did because you can't lay blame on any specific one because they were all given at the same time, like letting a killer get off for a legal technicality). The main cause for concern is THIMEROSOL (I may be miss-spelling this) It is mecury which is a neuro toxin. (You can get vaccines WITHOUT this but make sure you see the label on the package otherwise they WILL lie to you) Vaccines also have "HOT LOTS" where the active ingredients are more potent. They know that these cause problems but they do not stop giving them (Though this seems rare it does happen). Plus there is NO controls on the industry. If your kid has a PROVEN (good luck) reaction the GOVERNMENT steps in and pays the claim. NOT the drug companies. Legislation was passed in the 80's for this, as the drug companies were being sued left and right and nearly went out of the vaccine business. So they are not liable for any mistakes or side effects.

It is very difficult to get at the truth. I have read EVERYTHING medical students study about this and everything I could get my hands on about this from the medical comunity. THen I read everything that I could get my hands on that opposes vaccines. Do the reaserch and make up your own mind. The truth I think is in the middle. But the medical comunity is very dishonest about this.

Just follow the money. How much do you think the pharmacudical companies make with this and how much do doctors get out of it?!?!? You know how bad perscription drugs can fail from watching the news the last year or so. The main reason children get the vaccines is because it is the only time in your life that you see a doctor many times in a year. Thus more profit as most adults and older children don't see the docotor more than once a year. This is a major 'SHEEPLE" issue. People blindly trust their doctor when they ask the mechanic more questions on what is really needed to fix their car,  than they do their doctor. Most docotors in my experience are un-edjucated about this issue and only go by what they had in school which is written by the medical industry funded my the drug compaines. They generally do not research this on their own. Thoose who do join the other side.

But please DON"T take my word for it do the research your self.

And chicken pox is a normal childhood disease. The imunity from the vaccine is not life long and adult chicken pox really sucks. Let them get it and get the REAL immunity. This is NOT a life threatening condittion. Where it is the children are also generally in very poor health with very poor nutrition (like any OTHER minor disease).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Are you a sheep or what. FDR seemed like a competent president so why question him?!?!?! Try thinking and reaseraching for your self. THAT is why. The doc may have his new BMW on his mond not your long term health.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Getting a vaccine is always better than contracting the disease. Why risk anything bad happening to your kids when it can be avoided? Conventional wisdom says that it's no big deal to get chickenpox as a kid, but it's just as likely to be pretty bad. We got our kids vaccinated, not a moment of hesitation.

PROVE IT. Ever had an autistic kid that was fine before a round of vaccines, ever have a kid die from it. The medical comunity DOES NOT report these side effects any better than they do for any other drug. I  have seen and lived this first hand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#26]
My daughter had the shot 1 month ago.  You don't want chicken pox
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#27]
[tinfoilhat]How else is the goobermint supposed to get the nanobots into your bloodstream?[/tinfoilhat]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Chickenpox is very unpredictable.  I got it as a small child and had only three small lesions.

My brother got hit about age 7 and had a horrible case, followed by post-chickenpox encephalitis.  It damn near killed him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I had chicken pox in first grade. Big whoop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#30]
The doctor MUST strongly recomend it (thanks lawyers).
I know my pediatrician and he didn't give it to his, I didn't give it to mine.
The titers do not stick...waste of time and risk to your kid.
I'm a nurse, and no way will my kids get all of the shit they "require".
It's dangerous.
Which immunization given now will be the new one to be shit canned next week after your kid took it?
Educate yourself.

BTW: In NO state must your kid have any immunization to go to school.

Do the research yourself, these points could be quarelled about for days (and just about everyone who will disagree has mercury poision from there shots ).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit a few doctors suck.
Affirmative action totally change entrance and ranking systems for doctors some years ago. Many are lucky there is just a pass/fail kind of system in place.
They are obligated, by  the"machine", ask you to do things to your kids they don't do to theirs .
If I'm auditing charts and the immunizations were not given, he gets a big zero, big zero = big problems for the wallet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Getting a vaccine is always better than contracting the disease. .

Ignorant quote of the day...absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I got chicken pox around the age 9. It was a horrible case and gave me some really bad keloid scars that I have had to live with all my life.  If I ever have any kids I would probably have it done.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Getting a vaccine is always better than contracting the disease. .

Ignorant quote of the day...absolutely.

Thanks. I suppose I shall remain ignorant.

[ETA] Make sure you don't get your kids vaccinated for polio either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top