Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 4:07:29 AM EDT
He mentioned that he won it at a rafle contest back in 1953 and gave it too his day only to be willed it back when his dad died.  This gentleman is older and doesn't shoot much so I thought I might be able to work a deal with him to buy it.

Anyway I was oogling the 1943 Springfield (that was in pretty decent shape, though the barrel at the crown looked rough) another guy whom I work with (a Fudd BTW) was watching me and said "What an ugly looking gun, it probably couldn't hit t he side of a barn, military guns never shoot right".  At this point I was ignoring him.  Then I said "Bill (the owner of the rifle) I know you probably don't want to sell it but when you do I will give you $600 in cash for it." T

The rifle is probably worth $900 but I would have no intentions to resell it, it would be shot a few times and sit next to my grandfather's 1903A3.  The Fudd then said "You are crazy, I paid that price for my muzzle loader, I wouldn't give $100 for that POS"  I said "Well that is because you don't know dick about guns"  He then says "What kind of bullet does that gun shoot?"  I said .30-06 he said "That is bull shit that can't be a .30-06".  Bill, the gun's owner had a tracer round for it in his shirt pocket and hands it to Mr. Fudd, Mr. Fudd looks at it and says "This ain't no .30-06 this is a 1944" (refering to the headstamp) I said "No that is the year the bullet was made, there is no designation of the round on it.  The sad part is Mr. Fudd deer hunts with an '06.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
AH another dumbass fudd who thinks they know squat about firearms.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Fudds. Most of us started out that way....then we saw the bigger picture. ie, shooting stuff is fun!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The sad part is Mr. Fudd deer hunts with an '06.

Proper response:

How about you head downrange and we can see whether or not this "pos" can hit anything?

OR:

POS that can't hit anything? I bet that's what all the Germans were thinking when they ended up being killed by this rifle...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love Fudds. Most of us started out that way....then we saw the bigger picture. ie, shooting stuff is fun!
Not this guy, he isn't smart enough to understand the concept of history, the 2nd Amendment or having guns for other purposes besides hunting.  I have tried, there is no hope for him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The sad part is Mr. Fudd deer hunts with an '06.

Proper response:

How about you head downrange and we can see whether or not this "pos" can hit anything?

OR:

POS that can't hit anything? I bet that's what all the Germans were thinking when they ended up being killed by this rifle...
I was really itching to take it out and shoot it so he could eat crow the the owner didn't want it shot any more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Mmmmm Fudd.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
But did you get the M-1?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But did you get the M-1?

Yeah, what did he say?

Also, I ignore Fudds or other willfully ignorant types the moment I identify them.  No point in attempting to change their mind, so I don't waste my time.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But did you get the M-1?
No he doesn't want to sell it....it gave me a case of the gun buying blue balls.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You should have told the Fudd he was right, "military rifles can't hit squat."

Then buttstroke him with it and say "but they make great clubs!"

What an ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He mentioned that he won it at a rafle contest back in 1953 and gave it too his day only to be willed it back when his dad died.  This gentleman is older and doesn't shoot much so I thought I might be able to work a deal with him to buy it.

Anyway I was oogling the 1943 Springfield (that was in pretty decent shape, though the barrel at the crown looked rough) another guy whom I work with (a Fudd BTW) was watching me and said "What an ugly looking gun, it probably couldn't hit t he side of a barn, military guns never shoot right".  At this point I was ignoring him.  Then I said "Bill (the owner of the rifle) I know you probably don't want to sell it but when you do I will give you $600 in cash for it." T

The rifle is probably worth $900 but I would have no intentions to resell it, it would be shot a few times and sit next to my grandfather's 1903A3.  The Fudd then said "You are crazy, I paid that price for my muzzle loader, I wouldn't give $100 for that POS"  I said "Well that is because you don't know dick about guns"  He then says "What kind of bullet does that gun shoot?"  I said .30-06 he said "That is bull shit that can't be a .30-06".  Bill, the gun's owner had a tracer round for it in his shirt pocket and hands it to Mr. Fudd, Mr. Fudd looks at it and says "This ain't no .30-06 this is a 1944" (refering to the headstamp) I said "No that is the year the bullet was made, there is no designation of the round on it.  The sad part is Mr. Fudd deer hunts with an '06.

'Military rifles can't hit shit'

Sir, do you know where 30-06 came from? It was developed by the US military back in 1906 - Caliber 30 US Rifle, 1906...

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What an ass.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an ass.

yeah it sounds like this dude was a pretty big douche-bag, but go buy a cheap taurus or something to get rid of those blue balls; she may be cheap, but she satisfies
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Lersson:  Keep your nose out of someone else's transaction unless invited in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lersson:  Keep your nose out of someone else's transaction unless invited in.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an ass.

yeah it sounds like this dude was a pretty big douche-bag, but go buy a cheap taurus or something to get rid of those blue balls; she may be cheap, but she satisfies
I actually have another stripped lower headed my way, always wanted a Garand thought I could get a good deal on that one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Be careful of a civilian Garand from the 1950s.  Look to see if it was a reweld. Huge demand for Garands then, and none available.  This is what led people to weld up discarded receiver halves.

As the Garand was still the standard MBR for US forces all through the 50s, few (very few) were released to civilian sales.  Could have been an import, though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Be careful of a civilian Garand from the 1950s.  Look to see if it was a reweld. Huge demand for Garands then, and none available.  This is what led people to weld up discarded receiver halves.

As the Garand was still the standard MBR for US forces all through the 50s, few (very few) were released to civilian sales.  Could have been an import, though.
Interesting that would explain why the stock and barrel looked a little on the rough side but the reciever looked damn near pristine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's an interesting tidbit:  I have seen Garands decorating rifle racks of elk hunters.  One rig I saw in the 'Blues' had two of the things, scoped, hanging in the back window.  

It was like finding the Fudds of Bizzaro World.  The Anti-Fudds.  Flip-Fudds.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh, and always remember, "Buy the gun, not the story".
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not this guy, he isn't smart enough to understand the concept of history, the 2nd Amendment or having guns for other purposes besides hunting.  I have tried, there is no hope for him.

I started out with FA and milsurp when I was a very little kid. My stepdad was a dealer in the good ol' days.

I've actually never fired a fudd gun.

VT, I think you should continue ignoring the fudd. Grade A Jackass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Actually, it sounds like the Fudd was trying to get him a cheep firearm.
I would have no doubt he has bought firearms cheep and sold them expensive.
This is the old bait and switch routine regularly seen at most weekend gun shows.
You made a fair offer and should be congradulated.
Always make fair offers on guns you find.
Sometimes, they pay off very well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Easy solution for the Fudd:

Buttstroke to the head. Repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#25]
You work with a loudmouthed idiot.  I am sorry.  I hate stupid people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But did you get the M-1?
No he doesn't want to sell it....it gave me a case of the gun buying blue balls.

What a cock blocker! How cruel, parade the old girl around and give you wood for her wood.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#27]
freaking fudds!  I hope you get to buy it.  Excelent rifles should be taken care of by those who appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top