Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
well I guess having an SUV really did protect you after all
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
AI?
Artificial Intelligence?

Quoted:
The AI said it didn't look like she was going more than about 20mph.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Idiot cop, what difference does it make which way you park when the person doesn't pay attention to where they are driving.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
AI?
Artificial Intelligence?

Quoted:
The AI said it didn't look like she was going more than about 20mph.  

Accident investigator?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#7]
That'll buff out
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Idiot cop, what difference does it make which way you park when the person doesn't pay attention to where they are driving.

That's what we said.  The cop told us that there are reflectors on the back (not the front) which let other drivers know there's a vehicle there.  

You mean the big black SUV parked there didn't give it away?!?!!?

What difference doese that make? The lady hit a parked car in broad daylight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what we said.  The cop told us that there are reflectors on the back (not the front) which let other drivers know there's a vehicle there.  

You mean the big black SUV parked there didn't give it away?!?!!?

What difference doese that make? The lady hit a parked car in broad daylight.

Yeah, but the law says it's supposed to be parked in the direction of traffic.
You watch and see if the other parties insurance doesn't try to pull a "contributory
negligence" thing and not want to pay your damage.  

Important, did the cop ticket you?  That will help a great deal if he didn't.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It's all for the better even though it hurts inside to see your vehicle smashed. They cry.

On the bright side, now you can get yourself a real SUV ie American made!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would guess that you are gonna get screwed since you parked the wrong direction on the street.  

Most likely they will say it is your fault and you need to pony up.

the law states it is your fault for parking that way, and it's bs
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would guess that you are gonna get screwed since you parked the wrong direction on the street.  

Most likely they will say it is your fault and you need to pony up.

the law states it is your fault for parking that way, and it's bs

Yep.

§ 545.303.  ADDITIONAL PARKING[0] REGULATIONS.  (a)  An
operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with
the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18
inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you OK?

Do you need mouth to mouth?

CPR?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE......

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
so did you park on the curb, or did it get pushed up
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]
that's good you didn't get a ticket, you might get lucky and her insurance will pay
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah seriously.  you know, now that i think about it.  a lot of rear-end collisions like that might happen because ppl see the back of a car and ASSUME its moving.        if there are HEADLIGHTS facing your direction my first impression would be "WTF!?!" to make sure i wasnt about to get smeared.  

so to sp1grrl, thats one thing to keep in mind if they ever try to go farther 'because you were parked the wrong way' - i bet you can make a VERY good argument with that if presented properly

on the other hand.....i HATE people that park on the road when they have a driveway.  its just an annoyance and in my opinion asking to have your car hit.   but for ppl with those narrow-ass driveways and multiple cars i guess it makes sense.

personally, i just wouldnt want my car out on the street- my thoughts are that you're basically asking for it to get hit and you never know who would hit or side-swipe your car and then drive off.  you come home, and are screwed.

edit:  *unless developments are made with extra wide roads for this feature*
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#21]
GO check the china.

A few years ago, I was in Oak Lawn visiting my in laws, and some asshole hit my car.
It was parked going with the flow of traffic, right hand tires ON the curb (rounded curbs, not flat).

The shitty part? They had to be driving on the wrong wide of the road to hit it.
Took off my driverside mirror, and caused some damage to the fender.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Wanna buy a drive way like a real residence has? What's this crap parking in the street;
using tax payers monies to provide free parking?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
While you did commit a parking violation, it was simply that. Parking violation. In no way did it contribute in any fashion to the crash. Any insurance company that would claim so is nuts. Your car was parked in same place that any car would have parked. As for the cop saying the reflectors would have helped the lady see the car and prevented the crash, mention to him that pedestrians don't have reflectors, yet the lady would have the same duty of care to avoid them in the street, too. From experience, sounds like she was impaired by something, whether it was alcohol, drugs or medication. Usually once at the hospital the investigation continues. Unfortunately Texas isn't one of the six states that have laws that permit hospital reporting of alcohol/drug levels to law enforcement. If they did, I'd bet ya dollars to donuts she'd end up with a DUI. She still might, once the AI talks with her more. Let us know how it turns out anyway.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Does a 20 mph hit warrant a trip to the ER.

Sorry 'bout your misfortune, hope this does not get outta hand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#26]
She was busy checking out the neighbors and hit your car.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd puke on myself too if I hit a black suv in broad daylight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wanna buy a drive way like a real residence has? What's this crap parking in the street;

+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You cop haters are the dumbest out there. If your parked illegal YOUR parked ILLEGAL no matter if your car gets hit r not, Your still inthe wrong. Why is that so hard to figure out??
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cop haters are the dumbest out there. If your parked illegal YOUR parked ILLEGAL no matter if your car gets hit r not, Your still inthe wrong. Why is that so hard to figure out??

Illegaly parked in front of her house against the curb? Whos dumb?

(It's "you're" btw )
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(It's "you're" btw )

Is the curb private property or city property? If you're wrong, you're wrong.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

(It's "you're" btw )

Yep.  I posted the law above.  Stupid?  Yep, it is.  It's there though.

(And it's "Illegally" and "who's", BTW.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(It's "you're" btw )

Is the curb private property or city property? If you're wrong, you're wrong.

some city right-of-way is 6 feet in the yard. some are more some are less but the curb is the citys. The car in the picture was parked illegal in a city street.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
k
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I think the post about "cop haters" is directed at falaholic (and his "idiot cop" statement).  And I think the only person that made reference to the parking direction affecting the turn of events was the cop that yelled at you about it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Only here would you people turn this misfortune into a witch hunt about me parking the wrong way on the fricking street.

SHE WOULD HAVE HIT THE DAMN CAR NO MATTER WHAT DIRECTION IT WAS FACING, PEOPLE!!!

Agreed.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only here would you people turn this misfortune into a witch hunt about me parking the wrong way on the fricking street.

SHE WOULD HAVE HIT THE DAMN CAR NO MATTER WHAT DIRECTION IT WAS FACING, PEOPLE!!!

Agreed.  

You're correct, but tell that to insurance adjusters, whose sole job is to save the company money by paying you as little as possible.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn my grass isn't that green    and you are in Texas

Park where you want, I do, and it pisses people off too
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yeah, but she told the cop that she wasn't paying attention and that she was sorry she hit the car.  Will that not count for anything?

HOPEFULLY the cop (is he the AI?) will put her statement in the accident report.  I'd think it would help out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Since when do Georgians pay taxes in Texas???
WTF...go hit the bottle again........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#48]
I haven't got out the old ticket book in years, but if I had been called to write up an accident report I would have had no choice but to cite you for Left of Center.

No flame intended SP1Grrl, and I'm not trying to add insult to injury. Sorry about your vehicle and you're right, I would have cited the driver for Inattentive Driving at the very least, but you should count yourself lucky that you didn't get ticketed.

Prepare for a battle with any insurance company(s) that might be involved. You're probably not going to get your vehicle repaired without a fight.

just my humble .02, nothing more...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#50]
You may have parked in the wrong direction but that did not contribute to this accident. I could see the cop giving you a ticket if he wanted to pile on, but I can't see the other drivers insurance making a case that this crash is your fault.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top