Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2004 9:43:00 PM EDT
Tae Kappa Epsilon. They aint the nerdy tennis sweater nerds more like animal house. we had an exchange tongiht with kappa kappa gamma. i dont know if im gonna join or not. what do you guys think about frats in general???
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a chick, so no frats for me, but I've heard good and bad about it. You will make life long bonds, and it can help enhance your future career opportunities. You could have a lot of fun too. But, you will be joining a group, and living at their standards. The unspoken rules and all. It may kinda kill your "free at last" life as an adult in college. You will also be the target of sexual assault investigations if anything goes on in the frat house that shouldn't. Overall, I say go for it, but don't let go of your sense of "self."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
i think paying for friends is kinda lame, BUT alot of people seem to enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You goto LSU right?  I forget the name of the frat they were in (it was banned from campus I think) but my cousin was roommates with the guy that died from binge drinking there about 6 or 7 years ago.  It screwed up his college career and him emotionally.  He did graduate from LSU finally last year after going off and on, and having to deal with all the shit that caused.

Lots of people come out of frats ok, but why risk it?  You're there to get an education, if you want to party get some job or something and frequent the many clubs in Baton Rogue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
lesson #1:  it is a fraternity, not a 'frat'.

fraternity means 'brotherhood'.  make damn sure that, if you decide to pledge, the guys you choose can be truly described as your brothers.  don't do it to be cool, or to get girls.  if you pledge for the wrong reasons, you'll regret it.  good luck.

best regards,

Eric

Phi Delta Theta, TX Gamma chapter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Pointless
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Phi Kappa Psi, Michigan Alpha Chapter
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
GDI here:  Best of both worlds -- parties, yet none of the obligations to get in the way of education.

I looked at the various fraternaties here...decided I had better things to do with my time that a lot of the required 'social' events, not to mention the semester-long-not-allowed-to-leave-must-do-all-the-shit-work initiation just wasn't going to work very well when I had a GF 4 hours away that wanted to spend weekends with me.

As was said, make sure the house (by this I mean the people, not the structure)you're looking at is one you'd be proud to belong to -- basically follow your gut feelings, but realize its YOUR decision to make, not ours or anyone elses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... but realize its YOUR decision to make, not ours or anyone elses.

damn right.  

and another thing to remember--if and when you rush, it's very easy to fall into the mindset of 'i hope they give me a bid!'  above all, you must remember that it is you choosing them.  if you let them choose you, you have lost yourself already.  it is the weak-minded man who lets the group change him, and it is the strongest group that insists that its members retain their individuality.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
IF you decide you need to join a fraternity, check them all out and go thru Formal RUSH. Don't take a bid without looking at them all.

Every chapter of each fraternity differs, sometimes drastically, from school to school so what I may say about TKE most likely will not apply to your school. But sometimes it will.

My experience with Kappa Sigma was very positive. I made some great life long friends, and remember some guys that I couldn't even tell you their names. It is not the same bond you get with buddies in the military, but good none the less.

But you could always join the ultimate fraternity and enlist ARMY and go AIRBORNE........
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...My experience with Kappa Sigma was very positive. I made some great life long friends, and remember some guys that I couldn't even tell you their names. It is not the same bond you get with buddies in the military, but good none the less.

But you could always join the ultimate fraternity and enlist ARMY and go AIRBORNE........

if you email this thread to the KS chapter pres at southwestern university, i'll buy you a sixpack.  

back when i was at SU, that chapter comprised 100% birkenstock poster children.  hardcore anti-war hippy hardliners.  this isn't to say that they weren't cool guys otherwise.  i mean, how many parties have you been to where guys would walk up and say 'we're shooting a horror film in the front yard.  grab some beer and come be an extra.'  

i realize that most of the other KS chapters weren't like this, but i can only imagine the reaction that your post would get from some of my Sig buddies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
What's that quote from Marx? "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member".... something like that.

I've never understood the need that people seem to have to join up and belong to things.  If you're one of those people, by all means shell out your cash and join up.  I know of people that have been wholy unqualified for a job and have gotten it because of their fraternity association.  So you could either become black, a woman, or join a fraternity if you're afraid of not being able to find a job you're actually qualified for after college.

I did have one friend in college that to this day I think would have been happier in a frat.  He asked me what I thought about him joinging, and I and the rest of our friends ridiculed him so much that he didn't join.  For someone with his personality type I think joining would have done him some good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Frat parties are sausage fest's.

Heh where did you go to school?

Some of my most treasured memories revolve around the Lambda Chi Alpha house at OSU. Definitely not sausage fests. Especially the parties with the Kappa Delta chicks.. my god.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Your not buying friends...a more accurate description is that you are pooling your money together with like minded men inorder to do really cool things.

I was in a fraternity in college.  I would give you this advice, its an interesting experience.  My college experience would have been incomplete had I not joined.  I don't regret it and if I had it to do again, I most definately would.

I don't care what most women will say, if you have on greek letters from one of the "popular" fraternities on campus, your stock will rise.  This may not apply to all the women nor will it apply to the kind of women you want to settle down with; but more women will notice you.  I never had problems with the women before I joined.  I easialy got dates whenever I wanted, but once I joined, I noticed that more women started hanging around.  I also noticed that slightly hotter women started hanging around...certainly not a scientific study, but food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#16]
dont ever call it a "frat" thats all i will say..you sdont call your country a  "c..."
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tae Kappa Epsilon. They aint the nerdy tennis sweater nerds more like animal house. we had an exchange tongiht with kappa kappa gamma. i dont know if im gonna join or not. what do you guys think about frats in general???

Rushed two in college. Realized it was
pathetic in the extreme. Pay money to
bang the house whores and sluts from
other colleges. Swell. I could do that
without paying money and living with
a houseful of guys.

If I wanted to live in a commune, I'd go
live with clean_cut and bang his three
roommates ...

To each his own...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
dont ever call it a "frat" thats all i will say..you sdont call your country a  "c..."

...."count"? Pronounced Kunt. Yeah, don't call it that. I've never had much interest in fraternities.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#19]
IT’S A (underlying homoerotic tension)TRAP!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Stupid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]
The guys who I know I can depend on for ever are all my Fraternity brothers.

Many owe their well paying jobs to networking with other members.

There are a lot of things you can learn, alot of fun to be had.

Find a decent one, and enjoy.  I gaurantee you the fun you have living in a fraternity house is much better than living in a dorm.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I avoided joining a FRAT because I didnt believe in paying for friends.  Insted, I belong to a fraternity of my friends who are also my buisness partners.  We're all aerospace, we're all graduating and we're starting a company together.  I say go to school and make a great group of friends.  We've been through the hell that GaTech has to offer and anyone of us would do anything for the other.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends on the college your at.  Some fraternity's are great.  Some just thrive on humiliation and partying.

Back when I was in school the Kappa Sigs and other fraterity's got caught doing the crap like in the above pic.  Someone really has some low self estem and desperate for acceptance to let this be done to them.

I do recommend you check out ROTC while you're in school.  That's something I'll always regret getting out of.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Kappa Alpha Order here.

FWIW, your dues are far cheaper than the money you'd spend on food/beer during the same period.

When I lived in the house (two years) I could roll out of bed in the AM, walk down to the kitchen, have the cooks make me whatever - scrambled eggs, ham/cheese omlette, french toast, pancakes, etc. That right there is worth a few hundred per semester.

As someone said earlier, it's just a bunch of people pooling their resources.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I learned more about life from my fraternity than I did from my college.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Depends on the college your at.  Some fraternity's are great.  Some just thrive on humiliation and partying.
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/788208/WhyIneverwasafrat.jpg

Back when I was in school the Kappa Sigs and other fraterity's got caught doing the crap like in the above pic.  Someone really has some low self estem and desperate for acceptance to let this be done to them.

I do recommend you check out ROTC while you're in school.  That's something I'll always regret getting out of.

OMG, that pic is hilarious!
Ditto on the ROTC, it's one of the few things I loved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Your not buying friends...a more accurate description is that you are pooling your money together with like minded men inorder to do really cool things.

I was in a fraternity in college.  I would give you this advice, its an interesting experience.  My college experience would have been incomplete had I not joined.  I don't regret it and if I had it to do again, I most definately would.

I don't care what most women will say, if you have on greek letters from one of the "popular" fraternities on campus, your stock will rise.  This may not apply to all the women nor will it apply to the kind of women you want to settle down with; but more women will notice you.  I never had problems with the women before I joined.  I easialy got dates whenever I wanted, but once I joined, I noticed that more women started hanging around.  I also noticed that slightly hotter women started hanging around...certainly not a scientific study, but food for thought.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- it's a free c#&t.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I pledged Alpha Gamma Rho, Theta chapter many moons ago.  Outside of joining the military, it's the best thing I ever did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#31]
TEKES SUCK!!

Go PIKE...Pi Kappa Alpha

It's not a frat...would you call your country a cunt?

I had a blast...the best 4 years I have ever spent...the people that I can count on are my brothers...

Not a waste of time and money....

Pi Kappa Alpha, Theta Kappa Chapter, Indiana University Southeast
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
...They aint the nerdy tennis sweater nerds more like animal house...

Been there, done that, & I have one valuable piece of advice based upon personal experience:

Before pledging a "zoo fraternity" (to quote Dean Wormer ), make doggone sure you are MATURE enough to handle that level of partying AND succeeding in college at the same time.

NOTE:  I am assuming, of course, that you are going to college to get an education/degree.  If you are going to see how much hedonistic fun you can have until they kick you out (which they will, make no mistake), please disregard the above advice.  

HardShell
Delta Tau Delta, Delta Eta Chapter, University of Alabama  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#33]
They can be worthwhile or a waste - great parties, lifelong friendships from some, too much drugs and horseshit in others. Anyone who makes a blanket statement about fraternities has never been in one, there are many different ones. See which ones carry the higher average GPA's (at least don't pick the worst - you are in college to learn, have a good time while their by all means, but don't lose sight of longer term goals)

(btw, different chapters of the same fraternity can be night & day - at one school Eta Beta Pi could be party animals, at another they could be anal yuppies)

Lastly, it's "Tau" not "Tae" (you WILL learn the Greek alphabet)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Overall great experience for me. If you decide to go for it, take a look at each one and the type of brothers they have. These will be lifelong friends and they will influence you alot, so make sure it is the right influence for you. Also, interview lots of girls on campus and get their opinions on who the good ones are.  They will definately know who has the bad rep for harrassing women and you want to stay away from those, if they are out there. Not to mention, you will have a great excuse to meet women on campus, which is always a plus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Dude, go for it.

I was intiated into TKE (AX chapter at the Univ of Louisville) in 1984.  I know that was a while ago, but my best and closest friends were (and still are) guys that were my fraternity brothers.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#36]
A vast majority of fraternity guys I know are people I really wish I didn't know.  The same guys I hated in high school.

However, there are exceptions to every stereotype.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I was the president of the I Tappa Kegga fraternity at Drunken State University back in the late 70s........and through the 80s......
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
TEKES SUCK!!

(Only the breasts of PIKEs girlfriends!!!!)

Go PIKE...Pi Kappa Epsilon

I had a blast...the best 4 years I have ever spent...the people that I can count on are my brothers...

Please keep your opinions of rival fraternites to yourself.  I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize each chapter has it's own identity.  We actually had a PIKE chapter trying to start up at UofL when I went there (and I was a TKE by the way).  They weren't bad guys, they just weren't good enough to make it in our chapter!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TEKES SUCK!!

(Only the breasts of PIKEs girlfriends!!!!)

Go PIKE...Pi Kappa Epsilon

Please keep your opinions of rival fraternites to yourself.  I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize each chapter has it's own identity.  We actually had a PIKE chapter trying to start up at UofL when I went there (and I was a TKE by the way).  They weren't bad guys, they just weren't good enough to make it in our chapter!

Ach...Uof L?...god..that's worse than being a Teke...

And I still stand behind my Teke comment, our Tekes were and are buttholes...present company accepted...

Those are not PIKE girlfriends...those are the ones that we threw back...when we were done with'em...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hey McKenzie,

I was in a fraternity at LSU only several years ago.

Does TKE still have that not so cool white house on the row?

Wait till you check out a majority of the Fraternitys before you join one. Just like a chick, you dont marry the first one you bone nor do you join the first fraternity gets you drunk and promises to get you laid.

Go through rush if it hasn't started already. Please, do it for yourself....

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#41]
thats good advice. yes they do still have their animal house
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I pledged Alpha Gamma Omega back in '98.  It's the only Christ Centered Fraternity that I know of.  Heavy handed about underage drinking, officers of the frat could not drink.  We had a lot of parties, bible studies, most of us went to church at the local Baptist church.  Come to think of it, I think our parties were probably better than any of the binge drinking parties the "normal" frats threw.  

We also attracted the kindof women you'd want to marry, not whores worth a bang and and STD.  Our house was VERY popular with the ladies.

As a pledge I had my share of humiliation, but nothing I would put on par with hazing.

If you want to know the meaning of fraternity, join AGO.  That's true brotherhood.  Man I miss that house.

btw, you do not have aspouse belief in Christ as your Lord and Savior to join AGO.  That would be against Pan-Hellenic League rules.  Course there's little reason to join if you're not Christian.  Officers did have to take a pledge aspousing their beliefs upon being sworn in....not sure if I'm breaking a rule saying that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#43]
TKE here. MuZeta chapter from Nicholls State University.

Wouldn't trade my fraternal experience for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I pledged Alpha Gamma Omega back in '98.  It's the only Christ Centered Fraternity that I know of.  Heavy handed about underage drinking, officers of the frat could not drink.  We had a lot of parties, bible studies, most of us went to church at the local Baptist church.  Come to think of it, I think our parties were probably better than any of the binge drinking parties the "normal" frats threw.  

We also attracted the kindof women you'd want to marry, not whores worth a bang and and STD.  Our house was VERY popular with the ladies.

As a pledge I had my share of humiliation, but nothing I would put on par with hazing.

If you want to know the meaning of fraternity, join AGO.  That's true brotherhood.  Man I miss that house.

btw, you do not have aspouse belief in Christ as your Lord and Savior to join AGO.  That would be against Pan-Hellenic League rules.  Course there's little reason to join if you're not Christian.  Officers did have to take a pledge aspousing their beliefs upon being sworn in....not sure if I'm breaking a rule saying that.

A Christian fraternity, yet you bow to a secular rule system.

Let me repeat:

You're a prime candidate now for masonry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Come to think of it, I think our parties were probably better than any of the binge drinking parties the "normal" frats threw.

..shoulda came to some of our parties...good times...good times...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I was the president of the I Tappa Kegga fraternity at Drunken State University back in the late 70s........and through the 80s......

Yes, I remember you guys- right down on Fraternity Row next to the frat house of Delta Gramma Hash .....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Really I should join, my school is so damn big its hard to make friends especially if you don't live near campus.

Plus for some odd reason those frat guys get alot of pie!

WHY  i cannot figure out. Most of the girls bad mouth them in general but the parties must be too much fun cause they keep going back.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#49]
update: told em today i wouldnt be joining. aint gonna risk my place in heaven for nuthin
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Sigma-Pi, Beta eta chapter, san jose state university. You wont go to hell joining a frat. sheesh
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top