Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
So the city of scottsdale, AZ is, at midnight, turning on camera's to catch people speeding.Warning will be given out for anyone going 11mph or over on a certain strech of the freeway. So my question is, how long before someone gets pissed off enough to start shooting these up?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
May be much more fun to rent a car and have an accident.
We dont want firearms getting a bad rap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
they won't

sheeple are pretty pacified today
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeing that the images are probably not being kept on the camera itself, but rather on a server, whomever shoots these cameras will be arrested very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seeing that the images are probably not being kept on the camera itself, but rather on a server, whomever shoots these cameras will be arrested very quickly.

Are you really that stupid?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cameras can only see in the direction they're pointed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the damage inflicted on England's speed cameras. Bombs, burnings, setting used tires around the camera and setting them on fire seems to work well against the armored casing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to threadjack, but someone recently shot one of my Motorolla Canopy 900 Mhz wireless access points with a rifle.  I wish I could catch the guy who did it.  Pliars and a blowtorch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Drape an old tire around it. Drop a lit road flare into the tire. Leave.

edit: btw ... that's a hypothetical coc complaint smiley included suggestion so as to not violating board rules by advocating the destructing of our slave masters' property
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Supressors are legal there, yes? Sounds like a fun game...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You 'aint the brightest bulb in the bunch are you?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if the armor casing can take a .308 to it.  Anyone know? 'cause they're pretty damned big cameras! Considering I can get about 3/4 MOA out to 350 yards or so.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
they won't

+1...unless some kid spray paints over them, nothing will happen...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a tulip?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and if the server doesn't get you - the data left in the fiber should be enough if they cap it off quickly
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Happened in NY.  As far as I know they quit using the cameras.  Then again, I was there in the early 90's
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and if the server doesn't get you - the data left in the fiber should be enough if they cap it off quickly

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to recon and gather intel first.  does its camera extend 360 degrees?  Does it have a blind spot?  What kind of resolution?  Can it see in the dark?

The answers to these questions would be useful for any potential, ah, hunting expidition.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wonder if the armor casing can take a .308 to it.  Anyone know? 'cause they're pretty damned big cameras! Considering I can get about 3/4 MOA out to 350 yards or so.

They would have to have some very thick armor. FMJ 308 I imagine wouldnt be stopped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
they won't

+87  

You are vastly over-rating / under-rating the general public.  Cameras are in use throughout the Nation, and very fewe have been disabled.  People simply do not mind being fleeced.

Even on Arcom, the last refuge of liberty, 30% SAY "Just Pay Up"  and another 20% are the ones actually writing the tickets.

I want to know how many exempt "law enforcement" types are going to get speeding auto-tickets.

If they furloughed a LEO with every new camera they installed, it might not be a complete negative.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Even on Arcom, the last refuge of liberty, 30% SAY "Just Pay Up"  and another 20% are the ones actually writing the tickets.

Don't like the fines, then don't break the laws. What's the use of having a speed limit if it's not enforced. At least the cameras can't unfairly give breaks to their friends.

Don't like the laws? then get them changed.

You damn anarchists need to realize that there is no right to privacy. What you do in public is subject to video monitoring.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Not to threadjack, but someone recently shot one of my Motorolla Canopy 900 Mhz wireless access points with a rifle.  I wish I could catch the guy who did it.  Pliars and a blowtorch.

When they shoot your fiber line from the pole, talk to me about impact from outages.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
The answer isn't a bullet, the answer is thermite.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if those are programmable onsite...

It would be scads of fun to find one and reprogram it to issue a ticket for a speed limit that was 5 MPH LESS then the legal posted speed limit in the area.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Don't like the fines, then don't break the laws. What's the use of having a speed limit if it's not enforced. At least the cameras can't unfairly give breaks to their friends.

You damn anarchists need to realize that there is no right to privacy. What you do in public is subject to video monitoring.

Hate to burst your bubble Red_Beard, but the constitution says we have the right to confront our accuser in a court of law. Last time I checked a "computer/ camera" cant be questioned thus denying us that basic right guaranteed by the US Constitution. I want to see one of these people that gets a speed camera ticket fight it all the way up the Sup Court using this argument.

And for the record, I'm not a "damn anarchist" just a lowly federal govt. employee with a military background and 2 yrs as a Sheriffs Reserve Dep.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
"Speed Camera O' Truth"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"Speed Camera O' Truth"

I want to see that!!!

Ya know.....the box of truth should be a tv show! That would kick the shit out of most of the crap on tv thesedays!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#27]
If the people of Arizona have put up with the mobile radar cameras parked on the surface streets what makes you think they won't put up with the cameras on the highway?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If the people of Arizona have put up with the mobile radar cameras parked on the surface streets what makes you think they won't put up with the cameras on the highway?

They see the digits, thinking it's simply the amount of illegals that have passed by within the hour...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hate to burst your bubble Red_Beard, but the constitution says we have the right to confront our accuser in a court of law. Last time I checked a "computer/ camera" cant be questioned thus denying us that basic right guaranteed by the US Constitution. I want to see one of these people that gets a speed camera ticket fight it all the way up the Sup Court using this argument.

And for the record, I'm not a "damn anarchist" just a lowly federal govt. employee with a military background and 2 yrs as a Sheriffs Reserve Dep.

With a camera there is no need to confront your accuser, because it is not a matter of "my word vs. yours", so the accuser must provide proof. The proof is right there in the photo. Same goes for a dash cam in a cruiser....You can fight the charges all you want, but if there was a camera in the cruiser, and you were filmed commiting a crime, that is pretty much a guaranteed conviction. Photographic or video evidence is enough to satisfy the Burden of Proof.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
With a camera there is no need to confront your accuser, because it is not a matter of "my word vs. yours", so the accuser must provide proof. The proof is right there in the photo. Same goes for a dash cam in a cruiser....You can fight the charges all you want, but if there was a camera in the cruiser, and you were filmed commiting a crime, that is pretty much a guaranteed conviction. Photographic or video evidence is enough to satisfy the Burden of Proof.

I don't remember a clause that stated you may only confront your accuser if it's a potentially unreliable person.  There's several things that can go wrong with photo radar and the attitude that they are infallable ignores reality.  They can be miscalibrated for speed, either intentionally or accidentally.  I had one time many years ago where I went by one of the ones that didn't take a picture but gave your speed and it was off by 15mph.  I was on a motorcycle and I wasn't sure if it could see me or not.  They can be off for point of aim - how would you like to get a ticket because someone in the next lane over was speeding past you?  According to your argument, if you're doing everything right and they get a picture of you anyway, the burden of proof is on you.  Of course, also by your argument, it is impossible to be innocent if the picture says otherwise.  The hope is that none of the problems will happen in real life.

Photo radar cameras are a profit center.  The sole purpose is to generate revenue.  My biggest problem with them the attitude that gets them installed - running law enforcement like a business.  The focus is on the return on investment of the law enforcement dollars, and photo radar by far provides the best profit margin.  In contrast, investigating any serious crime is a money sink.  Murders, rapes and robberies are all expensive to investigate.  What's worse is that if the investigation results in a conviction, there's another cost to imprison the offender.

I have no problem setting my cruise control below the target speed in these specific areas. Just because there is a way to avoid getting a ticket doesn't make the system good.  All of my life, I've ran into very few areas where the majority of people are driving at or under the speed limit.  I've also noticed (and seen references to research that confirms) that driving 80 in a 65 zone, if the majority of people are doing it, does not make the road less safe.  Failing to pay attention to one's surroundings is what causes accidents.  Speed is only a factor in the severity of accidents, and then only if one plows into a stopped car or other inanimate object.  Merging into someone results in the same damage at 65 as it does at 80.

A camera can't look over a stretch of road and say "that guy is weaving in and out of traffic like an idiot" and cite them.  It can only catch the people who are going above a specified speed in a very small stretch of road.  Photo radar cameras ignore safety and focus on generating profit.  Any law enforcement agency that is more concerned with profit than safety should be disbanded.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Supressors are legal there, yes? Sounds like a fun game...

Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump[bolt locks in open position].

Damn, this piece of shit  tasco scope is really starting to get on my frigg'in nerves!!!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So go to court and try to prove the the camera wasn't working right. What's stopping you?

Or you could just obey the law and not speed then you have nothing to worry about.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top