Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/30/2016 11:21:54 AM EDT

Started looking as it may be needed some time in the future. From what I've seen Montessori schools are close to $2,000 a month. I've seen a few regular day cares are about $1,200-$1,600 a month.

What knowledge, experience, recommendations do the brilliant hive minds have to share?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Started looking as it may be needed some time in the future. From what I've seen Montessori schools are close to $2,000 a month. I've seen a few regular day cares are about $1,200-$1,600 a month.

What knowledge, experience, recommendations do the brilliant hive minds have to share?
View Quote

YMCA's usually have a decent program that is affordable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
We hired a nanny because you can pick one up for 20k a year (cheaper) AND she does home schooling. AND she comes to our house. AND she works the occasional weekend when we need her.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it too late to make her swallow?

Maybe a condom?

How bout some Welfare?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to my world, we just found a Montessori school close to us that is $1700 a month. Are you in NoVA?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Talk your wife into hiring a live in au pair, its for the children
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Crate training?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
We have hired nannies through www.care.com and they've worked out really well
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We hired a nanny because you can pick one up for 20k a year (cheaper) AND she does home schooling. AND she comes to our house. AND she works the occasional weekend when we need her.
View Quote

I was thinking this route, but someone who we could offer a room too, cleans, watches the kid(s), but gets nights and weekends off. Wonder what something like this would cost?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better option all around.
We did it when kids were little. She moved into our spare room during the week, went home on weekends. Her work day stopped when one of us got home. She became family.

Eta: actually cost less due to adding in room and board considerations.  Two years later it felt like my daughter was moving out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FAIL
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Daycare and private kindergarten are ludicrously insanely expensive.  I have 3 kids.  Thank God the youngest will be in first grade after next year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]
$2k/month is standard. It is painful.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I semi retired to stay at home because most people don't get the chance and I wanted to take it.  Hired a retired teacher for $500/week to act as nanny when I am busy and wife can't watch him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Very thankful our kids have never had a second in daycare. My wife and I have shitty work schedules but it allows us to never have another person (daycare) raise our kids
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The first year he went off to daycare @ 4 months, and then we hired away the best teacher, to come watch our son and her daughter at our house during the day.

It worked great until we moved out of the area earlier this year. Now he goes to a Montessori school that a lot of our friends and family really like.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.magaupair.com/portada/galeria/images/au-pair-europa.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All is see is my next ex wife....but man, what a ride
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]
This is why wealthy people in New England rent a German 20 year old for 6 years
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#18]
My daughter paid $120/wk for daycare until my grandson started school. $2K/mo - no way!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard it's rough, I even talked to a guy, who at the time couldn't have been making more than $15/hr saying his daycare is $1500/month.

His wife was making minimum wage, whats the point? Have her stay at home and work weekend if she wants out of the house, it would likely be a higher net monthly that way.

I'm lucky. I have family that watches my two for $600/month.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe some people shouldn't have kids, when they act like it will be a burden.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
And, ...

C'mon, we know you're banging her in the pantry
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#22]
No shit........................Research local religious associated schools like the Montessori you mentioned; likely that's going to be your best bet. As for cost, its cost what it costs but don't assume the more expensive it is, the better it is. Visit each potential school, talk to the 'teachers,' ask for references, ask to see performance audits. So many of these places are simply "babysitters,' where playtime and being plopped in front of the Disney Channel is the norm; try to avoid those places.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine threw away his marriage this way, took him 6 months but he started banging his Au Pair from the Czech Republic. She was quite hot though....
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Welcome to my world, we just found a Montessori school close to us that is $1700 a month. Are you in NoVA?

View Quote

I live in NW Loudoun and work in Reston.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And, ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And, ...

I PURPOSELY hired an unattractive woman for this job. Because an attractive one would be nothing but trouble. She doesn't have to be butt ugly, but you know... lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No shit........................Research local religious associated schools like the Montessori you mentioned; likely that's going to be your best bet. As for cost, its cost what it costs but don't assume the more expensive it is, the better it is. Visit each potential school, talk to the 'teachers,' ask for references, ask to see performance audits. So many of these places are simply "babysitters,' where playtime and being plopped in front of the Disney Channel is the norm; try to avoid those places.
View Quote

Excellent recommendation. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine threw away his marriage this way, took him 6 months but he started banging his Au Pair from the Czech Republic. She was quite hot though....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tradeoff. Yeah you have to pay child support/alimony, but you don't have to pay the au pair's salary anymore.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was thinking this route, but someone who we could offer a room too, cleans, watches the kid(s), but gets nights and weekends off. Wonder what something like this would cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a a google search for au pair service. You'll find what you're looking for in the price range you want. Some just want to come to the U.S. and are willing to work for cheap. But you have a vetting process you must overcome when you hire a stranger. We knew the nanny we hired because she worked at a daycare (already with our kids) for 2 years before we hired her.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe some people shouldn't have kids, when they act like it will be a burden.
View Quote

If you think doing research and asking fathers for their input and advise is insinuating I think having kids is a burden I think it's time to measure other reasons as to why some people shouldn't have kids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less work for the wife, what's the problem?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do a a google search for au pair service. You'll find what you're looking for in the price range you want. Some just want to come to the U.S. and are willing to work for cheap. But you have a vetting process you must overcome when you hire a stranger. We knew the nanny we hired because she worked at a daycare (already with our kids) for 2 years before we hired her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've discussed this because one of our concerns besides hiring a stranger was someone being closer to our kid(s) than us. However, I like the idea of everything being in a controlled environment (my house). Are there American Au Pairs? I'd rather not have to worry about importing and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#32]
That's nuts. I was paying $140 week when my son was in diapers. $125 week when he finally potty trained.

Catholic school is running me about $5k year, but it is the cheapest one (and the only one within reasonable driving distance) in the diocese. They even have prek-3 and prek-4. So when you break it out, actual school isn't that much more than daycare.

My sister lives on the other side of Dallas in the well-to-do area, I think she's paying $240/week.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#33]
We've had a nanny from day one. Best move ever. She even cleans house.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Wife works from home so she is the day care but my kids are in 1st grade and Pre K most of the week.

Private school is not cheap either.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I PURPOSELY hired an unattractive woman for this job. Because an attractive one would be nothing but trouble. She doesn't have to be butt ugly, but you know... lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And, ...

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Daycare for my little girl is $249.00/week until she's 2.5 years old and potty trained.  Then it drops some.  That comes out to $1079/month.  This was the most expensive place we looked at, but also seems to be the best.  We're in SW VA.  It really depends on where you live.  Bigger cities are more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Back when this was an issue for me, I was paying $100 less per month for the kid's daycare than I would have paid for tuition if he were attending the College of William and Mary.

Honest injun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We've had a nanny from day one. Best move ever. She even cleans house.
View Quote

I think we're leaning toward someone who will live in the house and clean, do laundry, watch the kids until we get home around 430. Then we as parents get to spend the rest of the day with the kids as opposed to worrying about laundry and all the other adult stuff. Hmm, this weekend is camping with the kids as opposed to cleaning the kitchen.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#39]
135/wk right now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I got lucky, my mom isnt working so we pay her to watch my kid. 20 bucks per day, wife works 3 days a week so not bad at all.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We have hired nannies through www.care.com and they've worked out really well
View Quote

My sister-in-law's cousin went this route and found 2 nannies through them. My wife talked to her on Saturday about it and she said they were both good. She said the first one they liked but for whatever reason they needed to find someone else, second person they loved and had a good relationship with until they noticed money missing from their wallet/purse and confronted her. Yup, it was her and she admitted it was .

My wife and I are still looking to find someone through there for next year even after that story, but I'll just set up indoor cameras covering the needed areas .
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

We priced up an au pair as cheaper than day care. Plus, if you choose wisely, free sex!

Then I started doing most of my work at home so wifey nixed the hot horny au pair idea

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#43]
We have been very pleased with the Goddard school. Not sure if they're in your area.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]

What about the argument that they don't get early interaction with other kids because they aren't in a normal day care center environment?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife's friend hired a Brazilian Au Pair, I said that was going to be a bad idea. They were divorced in 1 year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Have wife raise kids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Ya think!!!   It's like a second mortgage just for one. We're down to $148 a week but we were paying $180 a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

BTW, those numbers are outrageous.  $220 a week is max around here.  Why are those so much more?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We have been very pleased with the Goddard school. Not sure if they're in your area.
View Quote

I just looked and there are a bunch. Even 2 on my way to work.

Do you mind me asking your cost?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top