Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:41:47 AM EDT
Keeps telling me can't find system on dsk when I strat it up. Sometimes it will start up get into windows and then crap out saying that there was an error of some type and it basicly just dies. Could it be dead? I hope not the thing is only like two years old or so. Anyone got any ideas. It started last night when I was just getting onto ARFcom, the whole computer just froze up and then shut down.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
can't find system disk, usually means your harddrive is going bad.  I hope you had a recent backup of anything needed on the system!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
can't find system disk, usually means your harddrive is going bad.  I hope you had a recent backup of anything needed on the system!

Nope, well the pics and shit ya. But I don't have a system recovery CD. THe computer didn't come with one. Damn HP!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
that means the recovery cd's were either built in a hidden partition.   Or when you bought the comptuer there was a icon on the desktop, or a reminder, for you to create the cd's on either a dvd-r or 7 cd-r's.  Call hp the cds aren't that expensive.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
cruze5 thanks for the info. I think I remember it asking me if I wanted to make a CD of some sort. I never pay attention to that shit, I just figured it was like do you want to back up yer files to a DVD type thing. Guess it wasn't.

I'm going to fuck around with it a little more. This is the second time it happened but after the first time I just shut it off for like three days and fired it up and it was working fine till yesterday. That wad 4 months or so ago that happened.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
if the data is important.  put the drive in a static bag.  Then put in in your freezer for a couple hours.   You could get more data of it.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I turned it on Saturday night to see what would happen and the thing fired up right away and ran fine. I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with it, but I'm going to run a few things and see if i don't have any bugs in the system so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
when the drive gets hot it will start to fail,when a component is failing  You need to backup your data and get it replaced
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I turned it on Saturday night to see what would happen and the thing fired up right away and ran fine. I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with it, but I'm going to run a few things and see if i don't have any bugs in the system so to speak.

Back up all your data because you WILL lose it in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back up all your data because you WILL lose it in a few days.

Worked on that a bit last night, I ran out opf DVD-Rs so I got to get a couple more to complete the job. Thats what I get for burning so much shit to my DVDs instead of important stuff. Oh well, at least the good stuf is saved and anything else left to back up is pretty much expendable if it goes tomarrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top