Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2002 3:33:18 PM EDT
I had a thought on this whole thing. Do you remember the movie "Die Hard" ???  Do you recall Alan Rickmans characters (the head bad guy) response when asked what it was they wanted ???   It was a laundry list of false demands designed to stall and confuse the police and to force them to follow standard procedures for a given situation, which the bad guys were well aware of and actually counted on them following those procedures to the bad guys advantage.
I think this whole tarot card, demand list and cryptic notes stuff is all just to throw the cops off the trail and to allow the shooter to keep on killing for as long as possible.

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I am trying to find a text of Chief Moose's reply to the shooter that was just broadcast a few minutes ago.

It seems that he wanted a electronic funds transfer to a overseas account. And he apparently said that this was about "more than just violence"
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What's with the 1-800 number request?  Can't this guy afford long distance?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless this killer is just a plain old fashioned mental moron, How could he ever expect to be able to use the money ???  They would be able to trace wherever it went and when that account was accessed, gotcha !!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Chief Moose is an idiot....he said he is waiting for anuver phone call wiff da persahn who called dem.

I know I'm hard on this guy, but good God he's a freakin' idiot. Every time he speaks I think of the sniper just laughing his a s s off at him. Can't the FBI send a responsible, intelligable spokesman???

It just gets worse...

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the latest communication from Moose:
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,66340,00.html[/url]

"It is important that we do this without anyone else getting hurt," said Moose, who had publicly pleaded for more communication in the two days before Tuesday's slaying.

In an evening news briefing, the police chief suggested authorities had repeatedly been in contact with the sniper.

"We have researched the options you stated and found that it is not possible electronically to comply in the manner that you requested," he said. "However, we remain open and ready to talk to you about the options you have mentioned."

He said the sniper is seeking an 800-telephone number to talk with authorities, and he offered to set up a private post office box "or another secure method."

"You indicated that this is about more than violence," Moose said. "We are waiting to hear from you."

View Quote

Fox's reporters are speculating that the first sentance refers to a request for a electronic funds transfer to a overseas account.

Now THIS sounds more like the behavior of a foreign terrorist.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm starting to get the feeling that the "sniper" is just pulling some shit so he can sit back, pop open a tallboy and watch Moose dance.

Of course, I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Naked - I don't think you are being too hard on Chief Charles "the Ladies Man - ala Leon Phelphs" Moose.  He sounds like a total moron and doesn't give the public any level of confidence regarding all the hard work of those LEOs.  

I know it is a bit of a different scenario, but contrast Moose with another recent case - Sheriff Mike Carona in the Samantha Runnion case.  Totally different demeanor, different relationship with the media, different level of articulation, and different attitude towards the perp.    
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I think his new hobby is taking up to much of his time and he is no longer working. At this point he is starting to run out of funds and he desperately needs more money so he can continue to snipe full time.

It would not be the first time a hobby became an obsession and ruined somebody’s finances.

It would be foolish to give him one red cent.

THISISME
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
NBC just reported the amount desired as $10 Million
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
[url=http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/nation/1629020] This[/url] has more details.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
800 number could be caled from any pay phone without the need for a calling card, which could possibly be traced
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The sniper's not only a monster but an idiot if he's doing this for money.  After 9/11 the US appealed for help from countries with banking secrecy laws to stifle financing of terrorism. Al Qaeda supposedly now has its wealth stored as gold and diamonds to circumvent the more closely-scrutinized movements of money.

Al Quaeda also moves cash using the traditional Arab "western union" money transfer service they've used for centuries to facilitate trade.

Anyone should know this, especially if they've put a lot of planning into this killing spree and actually expect to get their extorted money. If they were serious, they'd have a good plan all laid out, and the only hard part would be coming up with the cash.

However, a big payoff would explain why there's a team and not just a lone psycho.

In any case, for god's sake dont give them the money.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the first tarot card and shell casing were red herrings. This sniper appears to be fairly intelligent which separates him from most criminals. I'm wondering if he might work at or near the van rental agency that had a shell casing found in one of its vans. That would give him an opportunity to move about in different vehicles and a wide range of motion. He could also hide his weapon near the scene and return for it later. A road block wouldn't turn him up. Just a few thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
800 number could be caled from any pay phone without the need for a calling card, which could possibly be traced
View Quote

You can buy long distance phone cards for cash in gas stations.  Don't tell me that this guy need a 1800 number.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#17]
It could be a lot of things...
Speculation is all they got right now...
Ransom demands were made in other random serial attacks ....and were made by others not involved in the crime seeking to cash in...
I also am partial to theBerkowitz cult angel
Multiple killers...occult connected..sworn to secrecy...passed the same gun around and all the killers allegedly used the same mo..Berkowitz also claimed they planned and practiced their escape routes...
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/740408/posts[/url]
Lots of possible crazies of every persuassion in a free and open society...increasingly devoid of moral absolutes
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree, sounds like a ploy - why attempt to whack over a dozen people and [b]then[/b] ask for money?

Its too cloak and dagger like for a fella who can't spell well in his letter to have an "off-shore" bank account. Some poor little old lady is going to get her door kicked in somewhere in Oklahoma because the shooter said "deposit the money is account ummmmm, I dunno, 123456789."

After all, the 'pro-profilers' on the news have been saying "Its most likely not a terrorist, as they havent made any demands" [rolleyes] WTF.

So, the shooter says, I'll make some demands - I want all pandas released from all US zoos. Next thing ya know, Jeff Corwin from Animal Planet will be standing besides Chief Moose at the next press conference - saying "we followin' all da leads"

Watch the LE dance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Naked - I don't think you are being too hard on Chief Charles "the Ladies Man - ala Leon Phelphs" Moose.  He sounds like a total moron and doesn't give the public any level of confidence regarding all the hard work of those LEOs.  

I know it is a bit of a different scenario, but contrast Moose with another recent case - Sheriff Mike Carona in the Samantha Runnion case.  Totally different demeanor, different relationship with the media, different level of articulation, and different attitude towards the perp.    
View Quote

I've been thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The sniper's not only a monster but an idiot if he's doing this for money.  
View Quote

i don't think he is doing it for money, at least not initially.  money might have become a fringe benefit to him, but i doubt it was his original motivation.

if money had been an original motivation, wouldn't he have demanded it before now?  i mean, people who do these kinds of things for money are greedy.  doesn't make sense that he would wait and kill 5+ more people and [i]then[/i] start demanding money.

people who do this for money, use the killings as a means to and end (the money).  seems like the killings are the end for this guy.  or at least related to the end ("See, I [i]can[/i] do this without getting caught.")

he's got another agenda!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sniper's not only a monster but an idiot if he's doing this for money.  
View Quote

i don't think he is doing it for money, at least not initially.  money might have become a fringe benefit to him, but i doubt it was his original motivation.

if money had been an original motivation, wouldn't he have demanded it before now?  i mean, people who do these kinds of things for money are greedy.  doesn't make sense that he would wait and kill 5+ more people and [i]then[/i] start demanding money.

people who do this for money, use the killings as a means to and end (the money).  seems like the killings are the end for this guy.  or at least related to the end ("See, I [i]can[/i] do this without getting caught.")

he's got another agenda!
View Quote

Would you have taken him as seriously if he had only shot a couple of people?  No way.  Now that he's up to what...13?  Now he's a real threat, and has much more of a bargaining chip.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, the shooter says, I'll make some demands - I want all pandas released from all US zoos. Next thing ya know, Jeff Corwin from Animal Planet will be standing besides Chief Moose at the next press conference - saying "we followin' all da leads".
View Quote

HK, that's funny! [beer]
Top Top