Link Posted: 8/15/2002 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Just be careful on the Turnpike.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand why they do it.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
theres a stretch of I-85 through NC between the towns of Kannapolis and Salisbury that is a permanent "work zone" speed trap. i drive home to MD about 5 times a year and this has been set up for the last 3 years. the "work zone" signs are set in concrete and each little barrel has its own concrete pad. the work zone speed limit is painted in 6foot letters on the road. it really pisses me off. that should be illegal
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, to educate drivers of the dangers of speeding in work zones, yes, I understand.

But to just do it to gather funds. I'm sorry, I disagree.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
theres a stretch of I-85 through NC between the towns of Kannapolis and Salisbury that is a permanent "work zone" speed trap. i drive home to MD about 5 times a year and this has been set up for the last 3 years. the "work zone" signs are set in concrete and each little barrel has its own concrete pad. the work zone speed limit is painted in 6foot letters on the road. it really pisses me off. that should be illegal
View Quote

You should do what Cool Hand Luke did.  Get yourself a pipe cutter and a bottle of whiskey and go down the line cutting the signs off their posts.  (Of course, in his case it was parking meters, but you get the idea) [;)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it's a good idea personally, We've had them doing stuff like that in the school zones here too.  It is sneaky, but if you're not doing at least about 10 to 12 mph over the limit, they don't mess with you here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Construction on highways is a constant thing, most of the time I see construction ahead signs and no one around working, just the famous orange barrels. Common sense would seem to be in order but I haven't seen much of that in the public realm for some time. Maybe the reason you haven't been getting any tickets is the application of common sense. PS I wish I owned the orange barrel factory.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I understand why they do it.....
View Quote

Me too.  To raise money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, the trooper in the picture has my last name, and we're about two years apart in age!  I'll have to ask my dad what part of the state he was traveling around the early 60's!

Traffic accidents in construction zones are up in the state, because the whole damned state highway system is under construction!  These guys suck, and are the same guys that get mad cuz I have radar protection.

I've gotten tickets from everybody in the state, including a frickin DOT dick!  They use everything from cops on overpasses, planes, and that stupid, time your ass between stripes thang, and I was once pulled over as the last of thirteen cars at the same time, heading up I-75 Autobahn style!  If our roads weren't so straight we wouldn't speed so much.  Heck if you don't speed on Alligator Alley, you will fall asleep!  At least the speed limit on Howard Franklin bridge is back to about 85 MPH. [8D]  I-75 is about 80 with an occaisonal 90 mph.

Now, I have to start flipping off construction workers too?  I love the new signs that have the message from the kid about her dad working ahead!  He was probably the one who attached the sign, that fell and decapitated the driver on I-275, and now part of my fear of driving under huge highway signs!

Besides, I find fast drivers to usually be the most courteous drivers on the road, getting out of the way of faster drivers, and most seem safer to me! Hah!  I'll be heading up I-75 at about 93 MPH in about an hour.  I'll be sure to slow down in the EMPTY construction zones, and make up time in between them.[shock]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, the Florida troopers and sheriff's deputies are pretty decent and not usually on power trips.  But, two things they won't tolerate are speeding in school zones or construction sites with people working.  Take it easy there.  Anywhere else, they won't bother you unless you get crazy and are asking for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
It still says "Safe Driver" on my license!  It drives my wife crazy.  I figure I get tickets on a much lower frequency per mile driven than most people.  I do not get along with the troop at Orlando, though!  They are SNEAKY BASTAGES there.  Most sheriff deputy's I encounter are pretty cool, and I can dazzle them with my medical equipment, and a close hospital! [8D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top