Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 2:59:10 PM EDT
Anyone else see a few problems on this?

In an effort to reduce firearms being taken from LEOs and used against them, a developer worked on a "smart gun" that relies on a transmitter being used in conjunction with the firearm.  The user wears a transmitter that looks like a watch on their shooting wrist.  The transmitter needs to be in "close proximity" in order for the gun to work.

Couple problems, the person talking about this makes it seem like if the transmitter isn't within a foot or so of the pistol, it won't fire.  Ok, so what happens if the officer uses his off shooting hand to fire?  Ok, that sucks.

What happens if the bad guy takes the gun from the LEO and points it at the LEO?  Chances are the LEO may put up a struggle, and you can bet the LEOs hands will be on the arms of the bad guy, attempting to wrestle the gun away.  Has the potential for the gun to discharge.

Ok, I'm done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
These smart gun things are incredibly lame. All of them sound like a bad idea, and some of them sound like a fast ticket to high-tech gun control (politically speaking).
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no farking way I would trust my life to one.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
and who made the prototype on the show?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Smart guns wouldn't be so bad if every idea they've come up with, hasn't, well,sucked.

Some of the theory ain't bad, really. Much like communism.

I wouldn't use one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the #1 reason to buy a second of your favorite gun now.

S&W guns without locks are already considered more desirable by most when discussing S&W.

In 10 years if every gun needs something stupid like a ring to activate it, you'll long for the simplicity of your favorite gun prior to the Democrat induced dangerous addition.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Smart guns wouldn't be so bad if every idea they've come up with, hasn't, well,sucked.

Some of the theory ain't bad, really. Much like communism.

I wouldn't use one.

Problem is that for "officer safety" someone will create a device that disrupts the signal.  Criminals will then duplicate the device, or steal them off the back of FBI trucks.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
This show has the typical media gun control message.  The History channel has gotten as bad as CNN.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This show has the typical media gun control message.  The History channel has gotten as bad as CNN.

I dunno, in the previous program they did explain how only one machine gun has been used in a murder since 1937 or whenever. But I don't think the History Channel produced that show, i think they just bought a decade old documentary and re-broadcast it.

However, on a 9-11 piece that they did, they made it abundantly clear that Clinton had a sure fire way to take out Bin Laden when he was in office, but passed up the opportunity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
New Jersey is leading the nation in smart gun research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top