Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 4:37:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Mallory Kimbrell. Age 14 or so, friend of my little sister. She's chosen constantly to sing the Nat'l anthem here in Hendersonville TN, at the High School football games, and sometimes to sing solos in the chorus at our church, and our youth group. A born singer, she has a very pure clear voice, and an avoved passion for the music.

It doesn't get much more local that this, but as far as talent goes, she's loaded with it. I would venture to say that if she doesn't share this gift with the rest of the us, it will be a terrible waste. And yes, we have bad singers, and OK singers here too, I can tell the difference. She's an amazing singer.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Juggernaut, got any tapes or CDs of her?
View Quote

No, we're not set up for recording on any professional level at our church, that will have to come after the serious computer upgrades. Being 14, she has no career to speak of[:D] that would get recordings, but everyone who has heard her sing know that it could be her vocation, easily.

Come to think of it, we have someone else there who qualifies as serious local talent. Heather Lawson, who does have a couple of CDs out(no clue where to find them or whjat the titles are, right offhand). Heather, and her husband Kevin are singer/songwriters/musicians, and some of our church's most esteemed vocalists. Heather has more enthusiasm per ounce in her songs and singing than anyone I have ever heard, and her voice makes the enthusiasm worth it. No pretense here, just straight honest song. They occaisionally do a couple of very local gigs as well, in small clubs, or benefit concerts, and the experience is well worth it.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a cover band called Yellow Brick Road in vegas that does all 70's stuff... the lead singer is pretty amazing. He'll do a spot-on cover of Alice Cooper, then bust into Rush's Tom Sawyer and sound like Geddy Lee...  The guy can do Elton John (back when some of his stuff rocked), Mick Jagger, and a great David Lee Roth.  Even does costumes, facepaint (Ala Alice Cooper) and wigs. Funny as hell too.

Best thing about it is there's no cover charge, Corona's a $1.50 and they play for almost 3 hours.  That's why I'm never here on Tuesday nights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mallory Kimbrell. Age 14 or so, friend of my little sister. She's chosen constantly to sing the Nat'l anthem here in Hendersonville TN, at the High School football gamesJuggernaut
View Quote

Your in Hendersonville? I live in Donelson! We should hook up at a gunshow or something.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The purpose of this thread, is to post a singer you like, but there is a catch.  They can't be famous (either not yet famous, or not famous anymore).  Post singers with a special talent, in your opinion.  Basically, the idea is to tell us about a local artist you like.  
The first local artist, around Austin, Tx, is Lucinda Williams.  She sings emotionally and vocally powerful honky-tonk.  She incorporates that Live Music sound into her CDs; delightfully unpolished and stripped of useless tricks.
Anybody else?
View Quote

I saw Lucinda at Mississippi Nights in downtown St. Louis in '99 when she was doing the "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" tour.......all I could think to myself was:  You know, maybe there is a God after all......................

BTW.......You ever heard of Townes Van Zandt?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Weeeellll, ok, I'll nominate someone:

This guy likes AR15's and firearms in general - in fact he owns a few, heck he even reloads.

As for his singing ability, he's been active on a local level where ever he's lived, performs a type of music that I would dare guess less than 5% here [b]really[/b] enjoy (you might go to it 'cause your wife said you had to have some "class")

Like most vocalists he's done his share of church choirs and solos was last seen performing in Gilbert and Sullivans' H.M.S. Pinafore, currently in rehearsals for Pietro Mascani's Cavalleria Rusticna - it is none other than ...

Me!

Ok, so that wasn't what you were hoping for, but too bad, I'm an opera buff with the talent and I'm goin' for it.  Soon I'll be doing lead roles in local companies then next come the regional houses.... at least that's what I'm hoping for

Don't worry I won't quit my day job - at my age there isn't enough time to build a big career ... just something to augment the early retirement income I plan to have [:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW.......You ever heard of Townes Van Zandt?
View Quote

I sure have.  I like The Roadkill song (Squash), and-what is the one about the mental hospital?-Thorazine Blues?  Next time I go to the store, I will pick up another TVZ CD.  His version of Pancho and Lefty is very good.
View Quote

A must-have:
[url]http://www.townesvanzandt.com/albums/farcry.html[/url]

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Townes was crazy as a bedbug....but DAMN he could write good songs.........
[url]http://www.lonestarwebstation.com/townesdex.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]

[url]http://osu.orst.edu/dept/entomology/coopl/Hedgepath.html[/url]

OK.......I'll shut up now........
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who_Me, looks like you have a (cough)passing interest in TVZ [:D]
View Quote

I just need an overwhelming amount of love. And a nap.  Mostly a nap. --TVZ

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I missed this part the first dozen times I read it.  This Heather Lawson? [url]heatherlawson.com[/url]
View Quote

[img]http://heatherlawson.com/images/heatherkevin1.jpg[/img]

Yeah, that's our Heather, and husband Kevin, our church's minister of music(and a very good guitarist and vocalist in his own right). I see them every Sunday. Cool, huh?

Hey Sumo2000, I'll be at the Smyna I-24 expo center show this weekend, so if you'll be there, drop me a line, and I'll watch for you.

Juggernaut

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted: Jhasz, Opera isn't my cup of coffee, but do you have any recordings of you in case somebody on this site prefers opera?
View Quote

Not yet, but I'm working on putting one together [:)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top