Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2002 4:58:24 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a college professor.  Seems one the the guys I knew in grad school has taken a job with the EPA as a special agent in charge.  I had no idea the EPA had such a position.  I thought all the laws they enforced were civil.  It's been a few years since I wore a badge, and quite frankly you couldn't pay me enough to go back.  This is not anti LEO by any means, but what the hell is the EPA doing carrying weapons?  That make anyone else nervous, or just little ol' me?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
To save the poor spotted owl from the mean humans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To save the poor spotted owl from the mean humans.
View Quote

Actually, I think that’s the Fish and Wildlife guys – but they carry guns too.

My recollection is that there are well over 80 federal agencies (totally excluding DOD) that issue firearms to at least some employees.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My Dad works for the Florida FWC and they don't issue them guns. Then again, he is a Biologist and not in a LEO type job.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote form above website:

[b]EPA CID agents are an elite group of men and women dedicated to the enforcement of federal laws protecting our environment, specifically our air, water, and land resources. They are fully authorized law enforcement officers, working within a structure of sophisticated environmental science and technology. EPA CID agents bring with them diverse backgrounds and a variety of work experience. An EPA CID Special Agent is a career position in the federal government with stringent qualification requirements.

[/b]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Been working with several EPA CID agents over the last 6-7 years. Part of an environmental crimes task force.  They have carried as long as I have been working with them.  Mainly dealing with envirnmental crimes, chemical drum dumping cases, etc.  Big bucks when you are dealing with hazardous materials disposal cost.  It can cost thousands to get rid of just one drum of really bad stuff. And the bad guys can face major fines not to mention jail time if caught doing this crime.  Not a big tree hugger type, but understand the need due to the money involved on either side of these type crimes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Just about every Federal Agency seems to have a LEO division. Even Agriculture has a SWAT team...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
They are CID or OIG guys. Almost all federal agencies have a criminal investigator branch. The ones without specific stautory authority are deputized as Special Deputy US Marshals so they can make arrests.

IRS, EPA, Small business administration, Social Seciurty Admin, FEMA, NASA, all military branches and tons more all have OIG / CID criminal investigators.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top