Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 2:16:44 PM EDT
I saw this episode yesterday.. boy was it crappy.  First off very little was funny.  I would have lived with all the propoganda in it if it was even a little bit funny.  Marge or someone even said something like '57% of guns are used against the owners.'

The whole thing was just an excuse to label NRA as 'gun nuts' and reinforce the beliefs that handguns go off by themselves and have a mind of their own.

Guess I'm not surprised since the Simpsons are a product of CA.

[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was funny. It shows how hypocritical anti-gunners are. Marge doesn't like guns but in the end she grabs the gun out of the trash can after Homer throws it away.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry you didn't find it funny, it's one of my favorites.

Lenny saying, "todays modern assault weapons are neccesary inorder to hunt the new super animals like the flying squirrel and the electric eel."

Moe standing up and showing how with a few simple modifications he turned 5 guns into 1 gun.

Yes, it had it's propaganda in it but it was kinda funny to see it just get blatantly ignored by Homer.   Something I wish more of the populace could do in large, just ignore the idiots trying to cite facts based off of emotion.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was funny
because the show is so off the wall to begin with
that no one could possibly
take it seriously enough to consider
using it as
an educational tool.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[-!-!-]
View Quote

Actually the Simpsons are a product of Matt Groening (sp?), their creator. He does a weekly editoral cartoon is a lot of free weekly newsrags called "Life in Hell" & it's a regular for anti jabs. The funny part about it is that most of the time, he doesn't have a GD clue about what's going on with firearms. >gg<
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
"Firearms are for 3 things
Personal protection
hunting dangerous and delicious animals
and keeping the king of England out of your face"

Krusty the Klown
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh sure parts of it were funny.  I can't say it was one of the better ones though.  Just my opinion that this one was one of my least favorites.  I think the funniest thing about it was the fact that you can relate some SHTF posts to it [;)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[-!-!-]
View Quote

Actually the Simpsons are a product of Matt Groening (sp?), their creator. He does a weekly editoral cartoon is a lot of free weekly newsrags called "Life in Hell" & it's a regular for anti jabs. The funny part about it is that most of the time, he doesn't have a GD clue about what's going on with firearms. >gg<
View Quote

Yes but Matt Groening lives in CA last time I checked.  Hell I have the Life in Hell collections in book form and I got his first comic books signed in person by him in Santa Monica.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not sure if the Simpsons are really anti-gun. When Maggie gets scanned at the grocery store, it says, "NRA Forever" on the register. I think it was just one of those stupid things that TV does to play to the viewing audience.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The Simpsons pokes a little fun at everyone thats what makes it a funny show. I like the episode where Homers brother gives Bart an NRA life Membership ! " Here you go Bart so some day you can own a machinegun ".
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that episode pokes a little fun at both sides.  THey do portray the NRA members as being responsible safe gun owners. I can't say that I think it isn't biased though.  I still thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I love it when they use that 57% of guns in the home crap.
57% of what is what I want to know.
Nobody knows how many guns are in America really so how do you know how many of them are in homes?
Hell all my guns are in my home so what the hell is the difference?

Anyway if somebody breaks in to your house and takes your gun from you befor you shoot your a F*ING RETARD!!!!!!!! and I hope the guy kills you,the fewer people likr you the better.

Just more anti-gun fools talking about stuff they know nothing about.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
One of my favorites.  Marge is opposed to the pistol until she gets ahold of it.  At the end of the episode, after the local chapter of gun-wielding lunatics save the day, she's going to throw the gun away, but she tucks it into her handbag.  Another anti converted!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the druken
Kennedy they have for a mayor
that is always
cheating on his wife
and making deals with the mob.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
"5 days but im mad now"

"where do you keep the deadlyest guns" "right next to the sympathy cards"

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I love that episode
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
They've had a few episodes other than that with either pro or anti gun material.  The one I can recall off hand is:

Homer starts a neighborhood watch, he and Bart, Moe, Barney, etc are standing in the foyer with guns and Marge makes some comment to the effect of "I don't think you should be carrying those".  Homer retorts of course, and then one by one the guns 'go off' by themselves.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
i actually think that episode is PRO gun! look at the facts:
Everyone in town owns one
Everyone in town is an NRA member
they even gave out guns to those attending the meeting
they all were trained in safe handling of guns
problems only arose when an idiot (Homer) gets one
~ in other episodes, they often show people at the gun range, shooting safely:
Rainier Wolfcastle shoots an AR15
Skinner's mom has a huge revolver
Moe has that pump-action dbl. bbl. shotgun
~ they ALL wear ear and eye protection
back to the episode in question, the only BAD or UNSAFE handling of the guns was done by the village idiot, Homer. thus, the MAJORITY of people, including a reluctant Marge, know responsible and safe handling of FA's, while one, the one we should learn how NOT to do things from does not.
Simpsons are pro-gun IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#19]
It's got enough stuff on either side so one could consider The Simpsons to be either pro or anti depending on your perspective.  Let's face it, if you were writing comedy you would find the pro side just as easy a target as the antis.  I was just pleased it was not flat anti as most TV shows are.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am not sure if the Simpsons are really anti-gun. When Maggie gets scanned at the grocery store, it says, "NRA Forever" on the register. I think it was just one of those stupid things that TV does to play to the viewing audience.
View Quote

FOR THE LAST TIME!!! It only says NRA4EVER in a single episode as a joke. It really says (at the beginning of every episode) $847.63, a figure once given as the amount of money required to raise a baby for one month in the US.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Hahahahahahahha it was a godamn cartoon!

Can you say satire? They were makin fun of both sides of the issue the whole cartoon....

Take off the tinfoil Homer is not out to get you
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hahahahahahahha it was a godamn cartoon!

Can you say satire? They were makin fun of both sides of the issue the whole cartoon....

Take off the tinfoil Homer is not out to get you
View Quote

..."you'll have to speak up, i'm wearing a towel."  -HS
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Gun shop guy: "You'll need a silencer... a loudener... and this adapter that will allow you to shoot down police helicopters. "

Homer: "I don't need the helicopter adapter.... yet..."
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Overall, I feel its generally PRO. NRA members are portrayed as being responsible, law-abiding members of the community who are outraged by either the criminal misuse of... or irresponsible behavior of dolts (Homer) with firearms.

I love it when Moe says; "A punk tried to rob me last night and I shot him in the spine. I guess the next bar he tries to rob better have a wheelchair ramp"  

Legitimate reasons for owning a gun;

1)Personal protection.
2)Shooting dangerous or delicious animals.
3)Keeping the King of England out of your face.

Pretty much sums it up for me!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought it was Hilarious!  Then again, I have a sick sense of humour.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love it when Moe says; "A punk tried to rob me last night and I shot him in the spine. I guess the next bar he tries to rob better have a wheelchair ramp"  
View Quote

Funniest line in the episode!!!!!

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn, we're resurecting 8 month old posts now?

BTW, I got flamed for dissing this episode on the old boards!

Jake
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I was watching this episode with my wife and one of her friends who is very anti-gun, now my wife isn't anti but she likes the witch so I put up with her. Anyway we're watching it and I'm trying to enjoy it an the whole time all I'm hearin is how this is a good representation of how screwed up a bunch of gun junkies can be even if it is a cartoon and that Marge is obviously the only one with any sense. Well about the time I was ready to tell my wife "screw you, her ass is out the door" Marge picks up Homers gun, admires herself with it an sticks it in her purse. I just looked over at 'Broomhilda' with a super hideous grin on my face an said very softly "how about that". She didn't speak to me for the rest of the night(which was cool).
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Remember that Matt Groening has nothing to do with the show other than getting checks in the mail.  He does not do any writing for it and has not for quite a while.  I found the episode to be not overtly anti or pro, however I got a more pro feeling than anti.  They did make some good pro points.  Also, the townspeople, most of which who were NRA members, were appalled to learn how Homer was using his gun.  They kicked him out of the NRA for being so unsafe and very irresponsible. with his gun.  They probably were instructed to have a bit of balance, since this is a very volatile issue in America.  I'm willing to bet HCI was not pleased overall with the episode.  Marge also ended up keeping the gun in the end, which would have been verboten if the writers were truly rabidly anti.  I have noticed over the years that the Simpsons tend to make fun of liberals and liberal points of view much more than conservative.  Take the episode with Grandpa Simpson, where Lisa and Bart are using his name to write Itchy and Scratchy cartoons.  Grandpa keeps collecting a check from the producers, oblivious as to why they are paying him.  When Bart and Lisa ask him "Grandpa, didn't you wonder why you were getting money for doing absolutely nothing?"  Grandpas reply was "I thought the Democrats must be in power again."  There was also the episode where Bill Clinton says at the end "Hey, I'm a pretty lousy President."  and then has a retarted look on his face.  All these things I mentioned would be absolutely verboten if the writers or FOX was flamingly liberal.  Remember FOX news and most of the commentators are pretty conservative, but they don't supress liberal points of view like other stations, and they have a bit of balance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I think in the end it was pro gun, the cops are sitting on ther asses while the fellow gun owners save the day, the anti's are always saying depend on the police, where in the simpsons they are showing depend on yourself.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO.  NOOOOOO!!!  This is a misconception I see over and over again.  The grocery scanner does NOT say NRA4EVR on it (normally)!  Matt Groening is NOT pro-gun.

The episode you saw that in was a special, and also portrayed Matt Groening as an old, drunken, crazed, right-wing redneck.  This is what's called IRONY, because in real life, Matt Groening is nothing like that.  The NRA4EVR bit is funny, because Matt Groiening would never in his wildest dreams join the NRA.  The idea he'd slip pro-NRA statements into the cartoon are ludicrous, and therefore funny.

But I see people saying all the time "The Simpsons' creator is pro-gun!  The grocery scanner says NRA4EVR!"  The joke completely flies over their heads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Would it be even POSSIBLE to make a double Barrelled Pump shotty, heck if that why not a double semi-auto.

Cus I want one if it is [:)]

Also I want a loudener too [:)]

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Would it be even POSSIBLE to make a double Barrelled Pump shotty, heck if that why not a double semi-auto.

Cus I want one if it is [:)]

Also I want a loudener too [:)]

View Quote

I forget where I saw it but someone rigged together two shotguns one left hand and right hand for a double barrel semi auto.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#35]
My Bushmaster Shorty has a factory loudener installed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#36]
This is one of my absolute favorite eisodes.

Here's Homer buying his gun. . .
[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~ttubbiola/homer_at_the_gun_shop.mp3[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top