Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:44:00 AM EDT
Do you think it will hit $100/oz or even $250/oz?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You're smoking crack... but then again, I never thiught it woul dhit $20 again, either.  Lead is over $2100/ton.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
in today's dollars? no, in hyperinflated dollars? sure
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're smoking crack... but then again, I never thiught it woul dhit $20 again, either.  Lead is over $2100/ton.

This...
I remember reading that silver spiked to $50/oz in the early '80s; but we all know what happened since ($3-5/)
I am trying to decide to buy or hold...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If it does, there are bigger things going on and we would be discussing this in the Survival Forum.
I would love to see the Ag/Au ratio back to normal values but at todays rates,
gold would have to drop to about $200/oz
or
Silver would have to go up to about $150/oz

IMHO silver will climb more than gold (percentage wise). Silver will double before gold does.
as always, YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
That silver spike in 1980(?) was only for a day or so back when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the world silver market. The value was back to pre spike value in less than a week. The country was not on the verge of an economic collapse back then though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That silver spike in 1980(?) was only for a day or so back when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the world silver market. The value was back to pre spike value in less than a week. The country was not on the verge of an economic collapse back then though.

Yes, but the thing thats 'killing' me is: if I ditch some of my gear, go buy 1000 oz silver, wait, pay off house...

As mentioned above; if silver hits 250/oz there will be much, much more going on......
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, eventually it will.  

Just as gold will eventually hit $5000.

But even your kids might not see it, depending on how old you are.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, eventually it will.  

I'm with Sherrick on this one.  Yes it will go that high.  Might take a damned long time though.  Like multiple generations long.  Or if we got hyper inflation it could go really high, offset of course by everything else moving higher in price as well.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, eventually it will.  

exactly what I was going to say.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think everyone was buying up silver bullion then.

I know my parents bought some (still have it).

And then the price/oz took a massive shit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we will see a good return on silver in our lifetime too though. Def. not those numbers but it will be VERY respectable for an item that is mainly looked to for maintaining $ and not growth.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No way, not even close.

Silver used to be a monetary metal tied to the price of gold.  I forget what the ratio was, but it was something like 6:1 or 7:1.  That relationship is obviously history.  Central banks don't use silver as a reserve asset like they do with gold.  The storage costs would be out of this world for the amounts of money they deal in.

The supply of silver is much, much bigger than gold and other precious metals.  Its main industrial use in photography is largely obsolete. $40-$50/oz is unlikely, forget the numbers you threw out.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It'll have value after the dollar becomes a footnote in a textbook or a story taught around the campfire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]

I can dream! Holding since about $12/oz
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it does, there are bigger things going on and we would be discussing this in the Survival Forum.
I would love to see the Ag/Au ratio back to normal values but at todays rates,
gold would have to drop to about $200/oz
or
Silver would have to go up to about $150/oz

IMHO silver will climb more than gold (percentage wise). Silver will double before gold does.
as always, YMMV

Already is a topic in SF
What's up with PMs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top