Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2001 8:34:04 PM EDT
I have a Sig P228 and want to improve the trigger performance. After firing a round it takes a long finger release before the trigger "resets" for the next shot.  Is there anything that can be done at a gunsmith to shorten this?
[pistol]
Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Sig P228 and want to improve the trigger performance. After firing a round it takes a long finger release before the trigger "resets" for the next shot.  Is there anything that can be done at a gunsmith to shorten this?
[pistol]
Thanks

Sgtar15
View Quote

there is a trigger mod available, the name escapse me right no, but i will find it and post it back here tomorrow.

The mod includes  a new trigger piece and lightens the DA pull and makes the SA pull more crisp.  The internal spring is also replaced, I think. Depending on your ability you may be able to do it yourself.

Zaz
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks zazou, I look forward to the info.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
sgtar15, are you talking about trigger reset on single action?  The release to reset time/distance on my 228 is pretty darned good!

If you are dry firing (DAO), yes...there is a long release to reset.  But this isn't the case once you've fired a live round and your pistol is in single action mode.

If you are pulling the trigger back too far after single action firing, a trigger stop could be installed.

Changing springs will not solve the problem.

A stronger trigger return spring will give you a more positive sense of reset... but it will also increase trigger pull (both single and double action trigger pull).

DaMan  

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Daman,
I mean the trigger resetting from D/A to S/A and S/A to S/A. I seams that I almost have to make a conscience choice to move my finger forward slightly just so it resets.  The pull weight is perfect in both D/A and S/A so I really don't want to change that, I just want it to reset faster.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Sgtar15 –

Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer to this.  To me, this is the worst thing about the 228.  I irritates me that S&W semi’s, which IMHO are otherwise clearly inferior to Sig’s, have a great trigger reset – you can almost fire them like machine guns.  

If you consciously try to reset a Sig trigger and you don’t release it enough, you can wind up essentially pulling on air – that is, the pistol doesn’t go off.   This is obviously bad in a combat situation!!

It looks like this was deliberately designed into the Sig, possibly as a safety measure.  You might be able to modify the safety lever (which connects the trigger bar to the sear) to change the trigger reset, but that would probably introduce new problems.  It also might make the weapon unsafe.  

What makes the problem even worse, I think, is the weak (hairpin type) trigger return spring.  A stronger one would tend to push your trigger finger forward more.  So, while I agree with DaMan that a stronger spring wouldn’t solve the problem, it might make it less noticeable.  It would make your triggerpull heavier.

I complained about this several years ago to the head of the Sigarms Academy.  His response was that, personally, he was used to it.  I got the impression this is not a common complaint and that there is no Sig “fix” for it.

Sorry I couldn’t help more that this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[pistol]
Thanks

Sgtar15
View Quote

Ok a couple options.

You can get a shortened, rounded trigger kit like the one here:
[url]http://www.colt380.com/page16.htm[/url]
and the springs:
[url]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/spring_kits.asp[/url]

or you can send it off and this smith can really do a number:

[url]http://members.aol.com/tjscustom/Web/TJ-home.htm[/url]

Hope some of this helps.  At the least, check out the FAQ on the Gunsmiths page.

Zaz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top