Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
Posted: 12/1/2018 8:10:56 PM EST
Show me your light box set up large enough for taking pictures of a rifle.
I checked the pinned thread but not much there.
Not looking to do a large investment, but more of a DIY configuration.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:35:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/1/2018 8:44:18 PM EST by NorthPolar]
Most of my lighting stuff (other than necessary hardware) is DIY to save costs. The important thing is to make sure you have control over where your light goes, how soft it is, etc.

-If you want a white background, the easiest method is (and I'm not kidding here) a decently cleaned white bathtub with your flash bouncing off the walls. Just have to tweak it in post a bit here and there. They do make kind of a 'half bathtub' looking thing for product photography though. Literally picture a bathtub cut in half long ways, just out of molded white acrylic so you can shoot straight into it instead of from above.
-Worst case, you can make a rifle sized whitebox out of foamcore, hot glue, and posterboard for $25-50 at most. If the posterboard inside gets oily/gross, you just buy 2 new $0.75 sheets and call it good. I've been trying to work out an idea for making a magnetized and modular but inexpensive one.
-For black, I hang a sheet of black felt on a wall. Rifle is positioned how I want it several feet in front of the wall, and bounce the flashes off the ceiling. Black cards to control light as needed.
-Reflections are pretty easy too, just a sheet of clear (with white or black posterboard behind it) white,or black acrylic. Just watch your angles so everything doesn't look weird. Worst case, you can do a pretty convincing job of reflections in post as well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:44:17 PM EST
I don't use a light box, as I find them to be a pain in the butt. I just lay out a couple of sheets of white poster board on my living room floor. I "feather" the venetian blinds so I get a nice soft light in the room. Since the walls in my living room pretty close to white (off white, really), the whole room basically becomes a big light box. For these shots, I use a small aperture (for large DOF), long exposure times, and a good steady tripod.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:25:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:14:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2018 12:18:02 PM EST by Snake-in-the-Grass]
Best photos were taken out on my patio using backdrop of white poster board. I'm no photographer, but I think they turned out well that I like to show. . This is a photo of my K2 Daewoo.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:42:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2018 5:43:03 PM EST by JThompson]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snake-in-the-Grass:
Best photos were taken out on my patio using backdrop of white poster board. I'm no photographer, but I think they turned out well that I like to show. . This is a photo of my K2 Daewoo.

https://i.ibb.co/hWcf1nX/DSC00842resized.jpg
View Quote
Any lights/flash used?
What camera settings were used?

On a different note, the tub thing won't work for me. Lets just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:41:37 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JThompson:

Any lights/flash used?
What camera settings were used?

On a different note, the tub thing won't work for me. Lets just leave it at that.
View Quote
I’ll see if I can snap some photos of the DIY setups I have. It’ll probably be a day or two as there’s a lot going on over here currently though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:13:07 PM EST
I’ve used foam board before and built a box out of plywood and painted it white.
Top Top