Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:05:54 PM EDT
Patton once said that he belived that a soldier should be buried where he fell.  I didn't want to hijack this thread.  What do you guys think?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If possible they need to be brought home.

That is a type of closure for alot of families and loved ones.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
ABSOLUTELY!!!

I spent seven month at Ground Zero, and the one thing I learned was that the single most important thing the families were concerned about was the recovery of their loved one's remains for proper burial. To most its the single most important thing to bring about closure...Its no different for Servicemen's families.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
plus the people over there would be digginf them up and dragging them around town like animals. Hell yea they should come home. It's not the same as WWI and WWII these days. The people we fight today are just animals. The Nazi's have nothing on these pigs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Where possible. Unless taking the seized enemy territory and turning it into a graveyard for your guys to serve as a reminder for them is appropriate.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
A soldier, no matter where they fight, is fighting in honor of their own country.

Our boys and girls shouldn't be left to rot in such a place violent enough to leave them dead.

Give them honor, give them peace, bring them home. They should all come home.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
plus the people over there would be digginf them up and dragging them around town like animals. Hell yea they should come home. It's not the same as WWI and WWII these days. The people we fight today are just animals. The Nazi's have nothing on these pigs.

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring them home. They deserve that much.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
yes!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep. Some Islamists have apparently desecrated some Brit military graves in northern France this week.
And some Somali bastards did the same several months ago.

And I hope we disinter(sp?) our war dead and bring them home from France's shores, before the jihadists finish taking over there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If my boy is over there ...

Yes I want him brought home.

GM
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Bring them home!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2 <--- comment removed by CoC department of precrime --->

no talkee bad about RoP®
IBTL

wganz
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Some Islamists have apparently desecrated some Brit military graves in northern France this week.
And some Somali bastards did the same several months ago.

And I hope we disinter(sp?) our war dead and bring them home from France's shores, before the jihadists finish taking over there.

Culture war no matter what the liberal pansies say.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep..American hero's belong on American soil..

Think of it in reversal...Would you want to have a dead enemy fighter buried on American soil? Hell no! Send what you can find left of him back home....

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Damned straight. Bring them home.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sadly, I think you are right.  It is a different war.  I read about WW2 soldiers passing German, French, British, & American WW1 graves during the war.  The funny thing was, they were all kept up, none were desecrated.  Nation-States are much better to fight than a bunch of crazy homeless bums with a 'holy war' bug.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
IIRC( i can't for the life of me find the source again) Patton said that it gave some kind of finality, or reason to stay in the theater.  When you saw the line of nice pretty white crosses, or Garands marking KIAs, it stirred something in you.  He also thought(again IIRC) that it was a waste of resources to send all those bodies back.  

If it was me killed, I wouldn't care.  Just stick whats left of me in a bag and bury me.   My Mom however, does not share that sentiment.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
They should be buried at home damnit, even if that means starting WWIII to do it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Nazi's have nothing on these pigs.

Other than the Jew killing they were all decent God fearing Christians...?

Or would killing Jews fall under decent Christian values of the subtle kind?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Patton once said that he belived that a soldier should be buried where he fell.  I didn't want to hijack this thread.  What do you guys think?  

That was a different time in history, but I bet if you could ask thooose that had loved ones buried over seas, they would have wanted them at home
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was in the service, I was pretty adamant about being buried where I fell.

These days, I think I want to be buried at sea.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I was in the service, I was pretty adamant about being buried where I fell.

Would you care to elaborate?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Whenever possible, they should be brought home.

Too many people lack closure when they are buried elsewhere, and some will refuse to believe it if they don't get the body. On a personal note, it would have greatly pained my mother if she was unable to visit her only child's grave.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, history has seen many men fighting and dying to recover the body of one of their dead.  They (we) know that  comrades would do the same for them.  It is a duty we owe to our brothers in arms and their love ones.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Two of my sons in the Middle East right now.  Yes I would want them brought home one last time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you care to elaborate?  Thanks.

\

Back when I served, I figured that I wanted to be buried with the men I fought alongside, had it come to that.

These days, I've made my career on the water. Mrs Pic wants to be buried in their family plot and I want no part of being buried in farm country.

We figure marriage is a 'til death do us part' deal, so she's not too miffed about my feelings regarding my final resting place.

I think it's fitting for a former soldier turned commercial fisherman turned merchant mariner to be buried at sea.

Besides, turnabout is fair play. Lord only knows how many fish I've eaten, and it's only fair that the fish get their turn.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I liked Patton, I really do, but sometimes he was a complete absoulte nut!  He believed he was the reincarnation of a Roman General.  One that and the body issue he was just completly out there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I think they should, But on a different note.

If I were to fall in the line of duty, and It would put any of my fellow soldier's in even the least chance of being harmed, I would not want them to risk anything that could keep them from getting home.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#33]
With my only child leaving for the sand box here shortly,yes I would want him brought home if at all  possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top