Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:20:46 PM EDT
OK, not really get rid of them, but make them inoperable.  I want a new roof rack for my Land Rover, and the options are:

a)

This rack sits low enough that I would not be able to open my sunroofs, so I would probably disable their power.

or b)

This one sits about 6 inches higher, would be easier to install, and enables me to keep using my sun roofs.  

What do you guys think?  Are there really reasons to keep the sun roofs operable, and do those reasons outweigh the disadvantages of a higher roof rack (and even higher center of gravity)?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
whats the reason the roofrack is tied to the front grill?

oh.. keep the sunroof ..
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the point of disabling it? Just don't use it? Why go through the trouble of it? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Now, I don't know nothin' about nothin' (Nothin'!), but I'd say go for the higher roof, just because I love the sunroof for a little bit of less-obtrusive ventilation while I'm driving.

~GnSx
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Just leave it be, Im not trying to remove mine, Land Rover costs too much as it is to have the dealership close up that hole in the roof.  As for the roofracks I cant say much, havent gotten that far with the truck yet; still trying to keep it running right and doing suspension.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Put a hinge on the roof rack so that you can flip part of it back and use your sun roof as a turret, and rest the ammo on the rack.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats the reason the roofrack is tied to the front grill?

oh.. keep the sunroof ..

I was curious about that too, but I thought I remembered hearing them called tree wires. I looked around for that on Google and found the following at: xterrafirma.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=7179

"They're wires that run from the bumper to the front of the roof to guide branches away from the windshield and up and over the truck."

"Tree wires are also called "Limb risers". The idea was borrowed from the land rover community for their defender 90's and 110's. Because of the near vertical windshield branches would smack into them, with the tree wires the branches ride on the wires until they are over the truck."
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the point of disabling it? Just don't use it? Why go through the trouble of it? Am I missing something?

Keep tree branches off the windshield.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on the types of trails you are going to do, keep in mind whatever is on your roof rack is going to get destroyed by trees. I wouldn't put anything important on a roof rack off roading.

I have little use for a sun roof on a truck anyway, so I would kill it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't already have a clear idea of what you want and why, then just skip the roof rack until you do.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you don't already have a clear idea of what you want and why, then just skip the roof rack until you do.

I for the most part want the lower rack, the reason I would disable power to the sunroof controls is for fear of some idiot trying to open them and breaking the motors or something.

-Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top