Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:04:13 PM EDT
The good, has a built 454 bored to 498 with edelbrock EFI, muncie 4 speed, NP205 xfer case, detroit lockers front and rear. 3 inches of body lift, 4 inches of suspension lift.

The bad, LOTS of rust, interior is about a 1 on the scale of 1-10, all the gauges were stolen as was the controller that lets you switch maps on the edelbrock EFI setup. 38 inch tires on it right now need replaced.

So it realistically needs 2 grand to get to my standards of driveable, there's easily 10k between the engine/trans/xfercase.

Would essentially be picking it up for 2200.

I need another project like I need another hole in my head, but I've wanted a full convertible blazer for a long long time.

What are your thoughts GD?

Would I be nuts not to jump on this?

T
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have another body to put on it?

IF not I'd say pass....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

IF not I'd say pass....

The bodys are pretty damn near impossible to find since it's only a few years that the top was removable up to the window instead of behind the drivers seat.

T
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IF not I'd say pass....

my question as well. if not, can you afford to spend the cash to get it to where you want it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I would grab it.

If nothing else, if you run out of ambition for the project, you could part that shit out and double your money.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I need another project like I need another hole in my head, but I've wanted a full convertible blazer for a long long time.

T

What are the odds you're gonna find another full convertible Blazer?  If they're slim, jump on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

T

What are the odds you're gonna find another full convertible Blazer?  If they're slim, jump on it.

They're slim.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The motor and EFI set up are worth the price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to find a conor and convert my CUCV to a full convertable.  I saw several out west in northern TX and southern OK.  I'll bet the one just sitting outside a barn in Lone Wolf OK is stil there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
i say go for it.  if you can't get the body to your specs, and can't find another one, you could always either part it out, or transfer the good parts onto another blazer or pickup.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
They started rusting out the day after they rolled them off the factory floor. If you want A NP205, stop by if you're in the area and I'll sell you one for $50.00.

If it's as rusty as you say, double what you think there is and triple the repair costs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They started rusting out the day after they rolled them off the factory floor. If you want A NP205, stop by if you're in the area and I'll sell you one for $50.00.

If it's as rusty as you say, double what you think there is and triple the repair costs.

The rust is in the usual chevy spots. Bottom of the doors and right behind the door where the mud packs in. The more I try and talk msellf out of it the more I want it I just hate buying anything and imediately having to dump money into it. Especially over 1000 on tires.

T
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rust is in the usual chevy spots. Bottom of the doors and right behind the door where the mud packs in. The more I try and talk msellf out of it the more I want it I just hate buying anything and imediately having to dump money into it. Especially over 1000 on tires.

T

Check above the fenders in the rear. Also, check the tailgate attachment points. I really like that style myself but they are pretty rust prone in some areas. Did you check for bondo from repairs in the past? Are the doors still tight or do they sag?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

My thoughts too...  I don't think you can bore it out that far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like Charlton Heastons ride in Earthquke

ETA:

"custom gear box with 8 front gerar and 3 reverse gears"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

Might be bored/stroked I dunno, guy told me that after it was built that they figured the displacement to be 498, said it started floating valves at 8600 rpm and dyno'd a little over 600hp.

so far my only big block experiences have been in a jet boat thats got a 518CI in it and rev's to low 9k rpm, and I've looked at the price of parts and thought they were nuts.

T
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Good price for the drivetrain. That's pretty much what you are getting. I say buy it and transplant it to something else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

Might be bored/stroked I dunno, guy told me that after it was built that they figured the displacement to be 498, said it started floating valves at 8600 rpm and dyno'd a little over 600hp.

so far my only big block experiences have been in a jet boat thats got a 518CI in it and rev's to low 9k rpm, and I've looked at the price of parts and thought they were nuts.

T

Does he have the paper work on the Dyno #'s? Maybe its just me but 8600rpm seems pretty high for a BBC.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

T

Does he have the paper work on the Dyno #'s? Maybe its just me but 8600rpm seems pretty high for a BBC.

He never offered it, he's a diesel mechanic and he got a hard on for jeep wheeling so this beast has been sitting for a while. It did fire right up though. Said it was 92 octane at the min but really liked to have avgas for the 2 higher hp tunes that are in the ecu. It definently was'nt running on leaded, and no smoke on a cold start.

T
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, buy it. But either way, post pictures. I love old blazers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

454 bored to 498

T

Does he have the paper work on the Dyno #'s? Maybe its just me but 8600rpm seems pretty high for a BBC.*

*without a shitton of money in it. Way, way more than whats being asked and the owner would know this. I've never personally seen a BBC run that high either, but I'm sure it's obtainable with enough money but that kind of big money motor in a clapped out blazer would be very odd

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

T

Does he have the paper work on the Dyno #'s? Maybe its just me but 8600rpm seems pretty high for a BBC.*

*without a shitton of money in it. Way, way more than whats being asked and the owner would know this. I've never personally seen a BBC run that high either, but I'm sure it's obtainable with enough money but that kind of big money motor in a clapped out blazer would be very odd

The guy told me he has 10 grand in the motor, I've seen the one in the jet boat go to 9k personally but I also know that it has well over 10k into it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
454 bored to 498

T

The guy told me he has 10 grand in the motor, I've seen the one in the jet boat go to 9k personally but I also know that it has well over 10k into it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2666/47/112/1515812407/n1515812407_235159_3018.jpg

Yellow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
You've got an engine and drive train. Everything else is FUBAR. If you have $2,200.00 you want to piss away, IM me and I'll tell you where to send the check.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
A 454 bored 60 over is a 468. One combo that was popular in offshre racing was a 496- I don't remember the bore/stroke but they were built in tall deck 427 truck blocks. That was before you could call Dart or World Products, as well as the Chevy CNC bowties (I have a pair of 540's in storage..)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

454 bored to 498

T

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2666/47/112/1515812407/n1515812407_235159_3018.jpg

Yellow.

Frsrsly

For the blazer, get it. It the motor is half what he said it is it's worth the 2K in itself. I had a '78 Plymouth Trailduster (ramcharger) with the poptop on 35's and it was a blast, even all rusted out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top