Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 1:16:24 PM EDT
I have been thinking about buying a Sig P226, and also a Kimber CDP PRO. I really liked how the P226 (40 cal version) fit my hand, and told the dealer that I probably will be buying a Kimber CDP Pro about 6 months after getting the Sig. He stated instead of buying the two pistols, to should buy a Sig P220 and forget the Kimber. He does not sell Kimber, but he stated the P220 would be just as good/accurate pistol as the Kimber. He did not have a P220 in stock for me handle, but said it was exactly the same as the P226 except in 45cal.

I have seen and handled the Kimber, and would like a 1911 style pistol. But, the dealer put the idea in my head of getting just the Sig P220, and using the money I saved for the Kimber purchase on another firearm (of course the dealer was pointing me to another Sig... a  P229).

So what are your opinions on what I should do?

Get the Sig P226 in 40cal, and then a Kimber?
Or get a Sig P220 in 45cal, and use the money for the Kimber on what...?

Thanks,

Landwarrior...

PS: I read in an earlier post that the P220 with the blue finish has wear problems. Does the P226 have this also?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I PITY THE FOOL THAT DONT BUY HK !!!!!
[x]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say just put the money into a Kimber and use the rest of the money for accessories for it and/or your AR.

But I'm a little biased since I just baught a Kimber a few weeks ago and am still on the honeymoon.  I really like this pistol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
get a hk tactical 45 and don;t look back - sigs rust in the field, kimbers are not as good as hk's

steve
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me share a personal experience with you:  A few years ago I purchased a P220 and headed for the nearest range I could find.  This gun, on the very first shot right out of the box, placed a round directly on the "x" at 75'.  I have loved it ever since.  I also own a P229 in .40 and, while a smaller frame, I also love it.  They are unbelievably reliable guns.  As for the rusting thing: The P220 comes (or came) with steel magazines, they tended to rust.  

Also, a neighboring towns police department uses the P220 as its duty issue and they had a problem with the factory mags cracking after a few years.  They purchased new mags from some aftermarket supplier and haven't had a problem since.  

Hope this helps your decision...
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing feels better in the hand than a 1911 (except for some female body parts hehe). While I have nothing against Kimber, you really should take a look at some Springfield TRP's, I have one and absolutely love it. I traded in a HK USP 45 on it after shooting a friends TRP. It is also my most accurate combat style pistol, only getting beaten out by another 1911 - a Les Baer that has been even further accurized, but that is a target pistol, not a combat style pistol. I also have a Sig 220 (and a 226, and 2340), while it is a nice gun I hardly ever shoot it as I much prefer shooting my Springfield TRP and Les Baer Premier II.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bobby Vincent:
...I also have a Sig 220 (and a 226, and 2340), while it is a nice gun I hardly ever shoot it as I much prefer shooting my Springfield TRP and Les Baer Premier II.

View Quote

Now, comparing the $650 you spent on the Sig to the we-all-know-how-fun-it-is-to-get-in-trouble-with-the-wife you spent on the others, do you feel it is worth it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
love my kimbers - all in .45.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig Sauer firearms RULE! Buy a P220 and you will be very happy. If you think it may rust get the Matte Nickel or K-Kote version. The 9mm P226 is the standard sidearm for the SEALs.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
WHAT THE HELL!
I DON'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER ON THAT SITE!!!!!
[url]www.sigtalk.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
McUZI...
That was lame.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
McUZI...
That was lame.

Tyler
View Quote

[url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
 Don't get me wrong, I love Sigs, but going into harms way I'd take a 1911 anyday. I've owned Kimbers and Sigs, but am currently staying with Kimber and 1911s in general. Save the extra money and buy AR parts!  [pistol]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Now let's just think about it... The dealer tells you to forget the Kimber and he doesn't carry ?
And just why weren't the alarm bells going off in your head ?
People who work in gunshops are just that, people who are selling guns. Of course he is going to steer you away from something he doesn't sell.

Kimber's and Sig are different pistols... Do you want a single action pistol or a double action pistol ?

I own examples of both and both are fine... The Sig's do tend to rust if you don't wipe them down often.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had two SIG P220s. Don't have any now.  I've had five Kimbers, still have my stainless Gold Match.
My advice is, go with the Kimber and if you want a 40, get the SIG 229.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
McUZI...
That was lame.

Tyler
View Quote

[url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url][url]www.sigtalk.com[/url]
View Quote

OK McUZI, that was funny [:)]
good reply

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with SGB, get the P220 and the Kimber.  The P220 gives you 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP versus the P226’s 10+1 rounds of 40 S&W.  I’d rather the more powerful cartridge over the three extra rounds.  

Actually, the P220 is ALMOST the same as the P226.  Unless it’s been redesigned recently, the grip is slightly different - though I doubt you’d notice the difference.  Also, a number of internal parts are different.

I don’t know about the newer guns, but the older P226’s and P228’s had a blue (actually black) finish that wore very quickly.  They were also available in a plastic-like “K-Kote” finish, which was sometimes durable and sometimes not.  Sig slides do seem to be rust prone if not taken care of.  Nickel is probably the way to go (if you don’t mind looking like a pimp).  The newer P229 has a stainless steel slide, which is sometimes blackened.

I’ve seen Sig 9MM magazines crack along the seam at the very top rear of the magazine (near the primer of the top cartridge).  I don’t know if this occurs in other calibers.  If you’re buying a used mag, always put a finger between the two feed lips at the rear and twist your finger slightly to see if you can push the feed lips apart.  Watch the back of the mag at the very top as you do this. If its cracked, you’ll see the seam separate.  (I’m only referring to the older mags with the witness marks on the back; I don’t know anything about the newer mags with witness marks on the side.)

Sigs are expensive and clunky looking.  They are also extremely well made, accurate and reliable.  If you’re going to shoot at tin cans, anything will work.  If you’re going to stake your life on it, you’re not going to do any better than a Sig (though H&K’s and Glocks are great too)!    
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PS: I read in an earlier post that the P220 with the blue finish has wear problems. Does the P226 have this also?
View Quote

Landwarrior: I got a used 226 and it did have a lot of bluing wear on the slide (it was a police trade-in).  I have heard that Sig will re-cost there, either free or for a fairly low price.

Where have you found a dealer in MD with new guns??

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I own BOTH a P226 AND a P220 (AND 1911's).
The RECOIL of a P220 is the SAME as the P226 chambered in 9mm (at least it is for me).

If I were you I would get a P220 AND get a good 1911 45. But instead of Kimber I would get a Springfield Armory (or bite the bullet and get a Wilson or Les Baer).

The P220 has a DIFFERENT feel than the 1911. And I don't care what the guy said..yes the Sig is very accurate and extremely reliable (in fact more reliable than the 1911) However the 1911 can be way more accurate than the Sig.

The 1911: get it converted to shoot 45 Super.
It will still be able to shoot 45 ACP...

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys... and especially McUZI for his subtle hint about the Sig Board. But I think this was a better place to post my question, since I wanted a diverse group of handgunners to give their opinions.

This is what I decided to do... try and find a dealer that has the Sig P220 and see how it feels to me. I have ruled out the Sig P226 in 40cal, since as SGB mentioned "Anything the 40 will do the 45 will do better". Also, if I where to get the Sig P226 in 40cal it would probably be my one and only 40cal weapon. Where if I was to get either a Sig P226 in 9mm or a P220 in 45cal, I have (or will have) other weapons chambered in these calibers.

As to HK's and Glock's... I have looked at them and held them. The HK's I have seen do not seem to fit my hand well. The Glock's... well there Glock's (I do not like how they fit my hand, and how they look too).

I want a 1911 style pistol and Kimber is still my first choice... but I will look at 1911's by Springfield and others.

To GunLvr as to your question: "Where have you found a dealer in MD with new guns??"

I live in the northern part of Harford County. I have visited 3 dealers in my county, and also a PA dealer that is on the MD/PA line that sells MD authorized handguns (you need to have it transfered to a MD FFL, but you do not get charged any sales tax on the purchase). Among these dealers they have a number of new handguns (MD cartridge case versions of Sigs, Kimbers, Beretta's, Ruger's, S&W, and others) to sell, but most are at a low inventory due to "off-season". They all are willing to order something if it is not in stock. If you want more specific info on the dealers email me...

Thanks,

Landwarrior...

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Landwarrior,If you're still interested in the P220,I've got one you can shoot.Maybe we can get Forest to do another MD.AR shoot.Amigo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Bobby Vincent:
...I also have a Sig 220 (and a 226, and 2340), while it is a nice gun I hardly ever shoot it as I much prefer shooting my Springfield TRP and Les Baer Premier II.

View Quote

Now, comparing the $650 you spent on the Sig to the we-all-know-how-fun-it-is-to-get-in-trouble-with-the-wife you spent on the others, do you feel it is worth it?
View Quote

Yes, the Springfield TRP and the Les Baer are definately worth it. The TRP outshoots any other combat type pistol I have tried, be it Sig, Glock, HK, whatever and is my carry weapon. My life is worth it. The Les Baer is used for target shooting and bulls-eye matches and is the most accurate handgun I have ever shot, accurized to hold 1" groups at 50 yards, very worth it. My Sigs on the other hand, I'm not sure why I keep them around but can't bring myself to sell or trade them (yet).

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Sig and Kimber are great guns, but a rifle is better...
[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010713.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
instead of getting 2 pistols that will fill one need, use that combined cash and buy a nice Les Bear, Wilson, Ed Brown 1911 custom and you will have a pistol that has shooting capabilities that make Sig owners cry and you will also have bragging rights from hell.

My 2 cents.

"DEATH FROM ABOVE"
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Amigo,

Thanks for offering my to shoot your P220... I will keep it in mind. Also, if Forest has an AR shoot in the fall I might attend.

I am a newbie to AR's, but have purchased: a Preban Colt 6530, a Preban Bushie lower with Colt 9mm upper (finally got it running last week), and a Colt CR6724 (still no scope). I have not shot either of the Colts.

It would be great to hookup with some MD AR shooters.

Later,

Landwarrior...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top