Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:27:34 PM EDT
I picked up a Mossberg 500A (7 plust 1) a few years ago, and so far all I have shot out of it is birdshot.  I have no interchangable chokes, and I cannot see any markings stating what cylinder I have.  

Can I shoot slugs through it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Check along the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver.  There should be some marking as to the choke.  Probably "Cyl" or "Imp Cyl".

If it is a Home Defense style gun, it's surely one of the two, and therefore perfectly safe to shoot slugs out of without fear of damaging it.

If you have serious doubt, get a patterning target and pattern it

Also, you can take it to a qualified gunsmith, and he can check the choke with a guage that measures the actual constriction of the bore.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
most likely the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
When you pull the barrel. Is there anything marked on the chamber hood? If its a stock barrel I would say ya it should be good for slugs. But check the chamber hood for markings first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top