Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2004 3:09:45 PM EDT
I honestly have to say I absolutely hate wearing eye protection when I shoot. Something about it, I don't know. I don't like wearing sunglasses or anything other goggle like devices. I have a nice pair of Smith & Wesson shooting glasses, but they are just uncomfortable and unnatural for me to wear (as are any goggles or glasses).

I know I should wear eye protection, but I just hate doing so.

So, which leads to my question: Do you use eye protection when shooting?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
usually
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to not, now almost always do.

Think about how many rounds you are sending down range, and each one of those is like a lottery ticket or a bolt of lightning. Odds are incredibly in your favor that each one will go off without a hitch. But each one is another chance for something to go wrong. My eyes aren't worth the gamble, no matter how slight the odds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I was standing next to a guy when he got hit by a piece of bullet jacket.  It sliced through his nose on the outside of the nostril.  Bled a lot.  Looked like it hurt like crazy.  If it had been an inch or so higher, and he wasn't wearing glasses, he would have lost an eye for sure.

Think of it this way: discomfort is temporary, blindness is permanent.  

Put your glasses on, dummy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Always.  You lose an eye, it ain't growing back.

I have clear, dark grey, bronze, yellow, etc. for all lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear glasses, so for me it's no big deal.  But the pair I just replaced carried a reminder of why I wear them - a nice little gouge from the mouth of a deflected .45 case that came back.  

Hell yes, I wear eye protection!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Firm beleiver in eye and ear pro.  Had my first 1911 (Auto-ordnance ) go high order on me due to a double stroked reload.  I picked powder and brass outta my face for a week!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
get some wiley-x SG-1s or CQ goggles...just suck it up
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear them religiously. Mainly because I have 2 pairs of Colt shooting glasses that look just about as good as some Oakleys and their lens tint is just about as good also.

What made me a REAL BELIEVER in wearing eye protection was right after I bought my 357 I was shooting-without eye protection-and a peice of shaved lead or copper jacket came back and got me REAL GOOD on the cheek about 1 1/2" below my eye when I shot.

Now I even have a pair of yellow shooting glasses for those rare AZ days when it's cloudy.

Dillon Precision has some Bomber brand shooting glasses that are light as a feather, cool design and only cost $9.

Sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than an optometrist or losing an eye altogether.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted yes, but truth be told in the hot humid VA summary my shooting glasses fog up on me and I don't always wear them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Oakley M frames.  I've got hot spots (melted) on the lenses where a hot piece of brass hit the glasses.  Could have been my eye.

After seeing some of the pictures of KBs and rifles delaminating, I always wear safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If I didn't I'd never see the target, I'm really nearsighted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If I didn't I'd never see the target, I'm really nearsighted.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#15]
ALWAYS ! i could never shoot a gun if i were blind. Plus i've seen guys peal hot brass off their eye lids. Didn't look fun to me.

J
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear glasses so it's no biggie for me.

If I'm shooting a brand new gun, I'll pull the goggles out of the bag.  When dealing with an unknown firearm, I'll take all the extra protection I can get.

I've got a REALLY nice set of ESS shooting glasses that I need to get off my ass and get prescription lenses cut for.  They've been collecting dust since Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I do, always. I didn't before, until this happened:

This happened while shooting my L1A1. It didn't cause the receiver to explode, but having seriously hot gas and other particles vent directly into my face, while not wearing protection, was NOT fun. It happens. I'd rather wear the glasses and deal with having to clean them/de-fog them on occasion, than have to learn how to shoot with my left eye.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Even a set of nice Oakleys seems cheap compared to eye surgery or blindness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot to mention.

At an ARFCOM shoot I was priveliged to shoot a suppressed M16.

I was glad I had eye protection on because it seems the suppressor forced a lot of hot gas back through the charging handle hole and right into my face. I shot the same weapon with a regular (unsuppressed) upper on it and that didn't happen.

The gas was hot but I don't think it was hot enough to cause permanent damage. But I was still glad I was sporting eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I always wear shooting glasses and for extra protection close my eyes before firing.

Regards,  

Mild Bill
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Almost always wear some type of eyewear.

I run my ARs wet, and the first few rounds splatter lube on my glasses, etc.

Ricochets are pretty common, too. I was hit in the foot once with a .40 calibre bullet that bounced straight back.

Never had a split case with a rifle, but it happens. Had it happen once with a revolver, which presented no harm to me, but messed up the cylinder of the revolver a bit.

Some bad stuff will happen sooner or later if you shoot enough.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I always wear eye protection, even when big game hunting. The only time I go w/o ear protection when shooting is during big game hunting.

I have had a lot of shrapnel hit me while shooting and have bled from the neck, forehead, cheeks and arms after shooting. I am so glad my eyes can still see.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#23]
As near-sighted as they are, my eyes are the only ones I have and the only ones I believe I'll be issued. So, I always wear eye protection when shooting--generally goggles for training classes with centerfire weapons and glasses for shooting shotguns (sporting clays). Have to admit I don't wear eyes or ears with my pellet gun, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Once a long, long, time ago, I was quail hunting using some Wanda all plastic (remember them) shotgun shells. One split when I fired it. After a face full of plastic and burning powder, Ive never shot without eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I have seen a pair of eyes saved by shooting glasses. A buddy of mine was ripping through a 30 rounder with an M2 Carbine and had a case head separation (surplus ammo).
Only a fool would shoot without eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Only when I'm wearing sun glasses while shooting.

IOW, just about never.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!

+1

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Only a fool would shoot without eye protection.

Well, I wouldn't agree with that... Since doing so in combat would be a... very bad idea, to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Huh???  Why is eye protection in combat a bad idea???
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Always. When I'm shooting or when I am using the grinder or the drill press or any one of dozens of other power tools. I've had ricochets go right past my head (.22) had brake cleaner splash in my eyes and have had drill bits break and countless other things where only dumb luck saved me from my youthful self. I also use ear protection with some of the pneumatic tools and the power driver. I do lots of non-tough guy things like put jack stands under a car I am working on. If that makes me a pussy then so be it. I'd rather be a pussy with full hearing & vision than a one-eyed deaf tough guy.

I guess I should go put killfashes on my shooting glasses for SHTF
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

For the same reason hearing protection is a bad idea in combat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Oakleys, everyday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely, and I'll tell you why.

Around early 1996 I was assigned as a cherry E-2  automatic rifleman in my squad (I carried the M249, for those of you unfamiliar with the term). We were out on a live fire range working on trench/bunker clearing and I was assigned to a support by fire position. I had 1200 rounds of ammo, and I was instructed to use it all. So I'm hammering away at the targets, changing the barrel every 200 rounds. Regardless, the piglet was getting hot. Way hot. About halfway through my last box of ammo, the weapon jammed. I cocked it and tried to fire again... clunk. So then I open the feed tray cover and lift the feed tray to clear the weapon and *POW*....

The gun had a failure to extract, and left a cartridge in the smoking hot barrel. When I lifted the feed tray and looked into the chamer, the heat from the barrel cooked the round off. All that powder from the cartridge and shit from the receiver got blown back into my face, and I wasn't wearing any eye protection. I had powder burns on my face and and eyes, and brass shavings in my eyes. I got a nice little ride to the aid station and spent about an hour having my eyes flushed with saline. The contact lenses I was wearing were literally shredded. Then I was transferred to the field hospital, and had an opthamologist treat me. Eventually I made it back to the hospital on post, but basically I spent three days sitting in front of a slit lamp while an opthamologist poked and prodded me and stuck weird things in my eyes. I couldn't see right for a week.

Sooo..  I wear eye protection every time I shoot.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Man, did I kill this thread or what?

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Lets see now… cases bursts and loads of brass and shit blows out into your eye and blinds you… end of your shooting

Eye protection is a no brainer

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I believe in eye and ear protection, but I've got to admit I haven't always subscribed to that regimen.  Even today I sometimes take off one or the other and forget to put them back on before letting a round fly.  I'm getting much better towards 100% compliance though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Normally I don't wear any sort of eye protection unless needed. Not even sun glasses (even when needed - Unless it's winter, but they're not exactly for the sun).

I know I should wear eye protection. It's likely that I'll wish I were wearing some, but by then it'll be too late.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, I do. My dad lost an eye due to not wearing eye protection on a work site; eyesight is precious and we take it for granted til it is impaired or lost.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can think of several reasons that hearing protection is bad in combat, but none for eye protection. In fact, in the desert, eye protection is necessary anyway due to the sand storms. It is more necessary when operating from a vehicle. Not to mention the added bonus of protecting your eyes from the sun. Have you actually been in combat?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I normally do not.
Don't really know why, just don't.
I suppose it's sort of left over from the .mil. Never wore any there, so i just got into a habit of not wearing it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I can think of several reasons that hearing protection is bad in combat, but none for eye protection. In fact, in the desert, eye protection is necessary anyway due to the sand storms. It is more necessary when operating from a vehicle. Not to mention the added bonus of protecting your eyes from the sun. Have you actually been in combat?

Have you ever tried aiming through glasses with cracks, scratches, or debris on it?

It's a one-way ticket to nuisance and detraction from concentration on aim. This is the #1 reason I don't wear eye protection unless I have to - it's annoying and just further hampers me. It's the same process of soldiers taking out NVGs on a day-mission (a'la Mogadishu) or leaving that mortar behind because it's just so fucking heavy.

I have enough disadvantages with gravity, wind, and my opponent... Why should I add to it further with eye protection? Glasses keep falling off, getting scratched, dirty, ect... It's a pain in the ass hassle for little payoff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a Colt Ser 80 KB about 5 yrs ago.  (piss poor reload)  It bulged the slide, blew the grips off the gun and I had a chunk of the case rim embedded in my Gargoyles.  (It would have hit my right pupil)  I was at a San Antonio outdoor range in mid summer and was only wearing the glasses because it was VERY sunny and the range faced east.  I will NEVER plink without my eye protection again....I figure God only gives you one or 2 chances to learn from your mistakes, and I got lucky enough once.  I ain't gonna push it any further.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Sometimes
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Always. If you shoot enough, sooner or later you're going to blow a case or have something come back at you. Mauser himself lost an eye when a semiauto he was developing KB'd.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#45]
almost never.. Only time is do is revolvers.
Didn't wear them growing up, didn't wear them for hte Marine Corps ,don't wear them now for the most part.

Normally when i do for revolvers it's my Oakleys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I wear prescription glasses when I shoot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Have you ever tried aiming through glasses with cracks, scratches, or debris on it?

It's a one-way ticket to nuisance and detraction from concentration on aim. This is the #1 reason I don't wear eye protection unless I have to - it's annoying and just further hampers me. It's the same process of soldiers taking out NVGs on a day-mission (a'la Mogadishu) or leaving that mortar behind because it's just so fucking heavy.

I have enough disadvantages with gravity, wind, and my opponent... Why should I add to it further with eye protection? Glasses keep falling off, getting scratched, dirty, ect... It's a pain in the ass hassle for little payoff.

Is this the result of military training and combat experience, or is this something you've discovered on your own?   (Just curious - not intended as sarcasm or any kind of attack on you ror anything)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Always, me ears were honked but usable coming off active duty.  My eyes have now reached the stage I need my old man glasses for reading .  Can't afford to speed up the process.

In combat the loss or  degradation of peripheral vision would be the problem, if you can't see forward, I would hope you could get replacement lenses.

Or is the suggestion that nobody wearing glasses should be in a MOS  that requires rifle use.  Whaadaya wanna bet neither the Army or the Marines are going to find that wearing glasses is a disqualifying defect?

Having had to take one of my troops to the hospital with metal fragments in his eye was a  practical lab session  to emphasize the textbook.  He was strapped down, I held his arms down and a buddy held his eyelids open because he kept trying to rub his eyes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top