Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 10:10:47 AM EDT
A couple weeks ago I joined the KY National Guard, Afla Comp. 201st Combat Engineer Bn.

Any advice for basic?

Really the only thing I'm even slightly worried about is not being able to shit when I feel the urg. Oh well, guess I'll get used to it.

BTW, I ship Sept. 20th.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  Keep your outputs shut and, your inputs open.

2.  That crap everyone says about not volunteering for anything?  Forget it.  Stick your hand up HIGH every time they ask for volunteers.  You'll get a few suck details, but, the drills will protect you from teh REALLY bad ones.

3.  Forget everything you think you know about shooting and just do it thier way.  You and, the Army will both be happier.

4.  If you are given a packing list, follow it.  They gave it to your for a reason.

5.  If they said NOT to bring somthing, DON'T.  They said it for a reason.

6.  Remember, 11ebenty billion guys have done this.  You'll get through it.

7.  Midnight firegaurd rocks.  You get two good blocks of sleep and, get to use the washer and dryer without fighting over it.

8.  Put your name on EVERYTHING that is yours so the people that steal it will remember who they stole it from.

Good luck and thank you.

As we used to say in 1-7 Cav......

The method of marking the breach will be dead engeneers
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Advice for basic....hmmm.  The only thing you need to do to be successfull in basic is to be where your supposed to be on time and in the right uniform.  As long as you've got some heart, some stamina, and a little common sense you should be O.K.  Just remember, stay motivated (self motivation is a hell of a lot better than forced motivation ) and don't take anything personal. Keep a positive attitude and the rest will fall into place.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep yer powder dry, Kaintuck!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

7.  Midnight firegaurd rocks.  You get two good blocks of sleep and, get to use the washer and dryer without fighting over it.

8.  Put your name on EVERYTHING that is yours so the people that steal it will remember who they stole it from.

Man that brings back memories!  I've seen fists thown over those damned machines!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

2.  That crap everyone says about not volunteering for anything?  Forget it.  Stick your hand up HIGH every time they ask for volunteers.  You'll get a few suck details, but, the drills will protect you from teh REALLY bad ones.

3.  Forget everything you think you know about shooting and just do it thier way.  You and, the Army will both be happier.

4.  If you are given a packing list, follow it.  They gave it to your for a reason.

Good luck and thank you.

First Sargent at the Armory is a good man and said about the same. I plan to volenteering whenever I can, Whatever I can do to keep myself squared away.

So far, I LOVE THE ARMY, and I don't see that changing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
dont drop the soap!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ah damn, I must on slowmo today, I just cought that.

Thats a bad word. Afla Comp. is on mob. notice to POSSIBLY shipp over there as early as MAY.......

Ahhh, I look at it like this, in a six year enlistment. Its not a matter of if, but when and where I'll get deployed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been in the USMC and the NG. The best advice I can give you is hurry up and join the USMC (reserves even) before you report for basic.

Regardless, good luck and thanks for putting in your time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been in the USMC and the NG. The best advice I can give you is hurry up and join the USMC (reserves even) before you report for basic.

Regardless, good luck and thanks for putting in your time.

Ya lost another one to the doggies...deal with it Marine!

Good luck Lead Head and that list above pretty much covers it...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah damn, I must on slowmo today, I just cought that.

Thats a bad word. Afla Comp. is on mob. notice to POSSIBLY shipp over there as early as MAY.......

Ahhh, I look at it like this, in a six year enlistment. Its not a matter of if, but when and where I'll get deployed.

Gallows humor.  Get used to it troop
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
"2. That crap everyone says about not volunteering for anything? Forget it. Stick your hand up HIGH every time they ask for volunteers. You'll get a few suck details, but, the drills will protect you from teh REALLY bad ones."

I remember unlearning that  one real quick. The first time a DS asked for a detail  the whole platoon just stood there, for about 60 seconds. Then we got smoked for about a good hour. He did forget about the detail though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"2. That crap everyone says about not volunteering for anything? Forget it. Stick your hand up HIGH every time they ask for volunteers. You'll get a few suck details, but, the drills will protect you from teh REALLY bad ones."

I remember unlearning that  one real quick. The first time a DS asked for a detail  the whole platoon just stood there, for about 60 seconds. Then we got smoked for about a good hour. He did forget about the detail though.

I consider that the biggest piece of sound advice to give a new troop.  I did this,  I was first on the bus.  I was first off the bus.  I got tagged for all the usual "001" details.  It sucked, but, I didn't really care.  I stuck up my hand and got some crap details but, I remember when the really bad ones came down the pike.  I'd have my hand up and the drill would go:

"No.  Not you."

And go on down the line.  Everybody KNEW that detail was going to suck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good luck and thank you.

That is ALL great advise. Number 6 slightly stands out, after a while, getting smoked isn't that bad, you will get used to it and probably even like it I actually thought it was fun after about a month. Good luck, and thanks.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
1) Every company, sometimes each platoon within a company is different... So the stories you hear may/may not apply...

2) Pack nothing more than a few books/magazines for the airport... You buy/get everything you need whil;e in reception

3) Mark your name on EVERYTHING -> socks, BDU pants, even running shoes 'migrate' in BCT, and some of your stuff will be on 'display' -> not locked up...

4) +1 on 'shoot like they tell you' -> even if you know a 'better way', use theirs... You may be able to get away with 'your way' on qual-day, but when doing rifle training, DON'T! The Army is getting better at their qual course supposedly (no more foxhole-supported position), although a few months late for me...

5) As this is 'new version' (compared to say, feb) BCT, you will be given a rifle (or rubber-ducky) to carry everywhere you go... Don't loose/leave it...

6) Right place, right time, right uniform...

7) Do what you're told. If you physically can't do it, put in a good effort - they will notice the difference between good effort and shamming, even if they don't show it.

8) Don't talk too much (that was MY problem)...

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations.  My ship date is still up in the air.

Some very close friends of the family have been advising me on basic.  Here it is in a nutshell:

1.  Do what they tell you

2.  Pay attention

3.  Don't screw around.  Refer to 1 & 2.

The Marines always also say 'do lots of situps and running NOW, so you're in better shape for camp'.

You'll do fine.  Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Good job. We need more kids like you nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh, and remember: according to one of the other threads in GD, since you're in the US military and not in the USMC then you'll be a 3rd rate bullet sponge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and remember: according to one of the other threads in GD, since you're an American and not in the USMC then you'll be a 3rd rate bullet sponge.

Said in respect.  I did a few hasty breaches with my scouts when I was a medic, and, I was like...

"Damn...I ain't doin' that anymore.  I'll have my hands full."

I was glad we always got two 113s worth of breechers tasked to us.

Nothing but utter and complete respect for 12 series.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and remember: according to one of the other threads in GD, since you're an American and not in the USMC then you'll be a 3rd rate bullet sponge.

Said in respect.  I did a few hasty breaches with my scouts when I was a medic, and, I was like...

That wasn't directed at you. I thought your method of marking the breach was funny and 'dead' on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't directed at you. I thought your method of marking the breach was funny and 'dead' on.

I know.  Just needed to be said so as not to alarm some people.

I'f you'd ever tied 550 cord to an e-tool and, tossed it over wire, you'll know how much the engeneers job is, fundamentally, "teh suuxxor"

We're all on the same team
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and remember: according to one of the other threads in GD, since you're in the US military and not in the USMC then you'll be a 3rd rate bullet sponge.

Yah...we're <Seinfeld> "spongeworthy" allright <Seinfeld>
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Remember, NEVER listen to rumors. They are almost NEVER true. The Army is full of them and they don't stop in Basic or just AIT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Do what you're told and don't ask questions.  Don't take a leak when you first get there.  You'll need to pee in the cup soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Being mr. grey is the only way to fly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like you're going to Ft. LostindaWoods. No matter how sure you are that they aren't watching you, don't try to use the pay phones outside of your battalion area- especieally the ones right by the dentist office just across the street from 6/10 barracks. Keep away from the Burger King too, lotsa pushups for that one and possibly an article 15.

You may run into some real hard core killers that seemed to have been at basic before you got there. Don't let'em give you any shit if they don't have any rank, they'll seem real squared away compared to you and your fellows but for the most part they are turds- week sucks waiting to go back home because they didn't make it and they will get you into trouble. The hold-overs waiting for there AIT school to start up are a different matter but stay away from them too.

Turn your brain off in P.T. sessions just listen and do what it takes to get through it but give it everything you got on push-ups and the running . You may be able to do a shitload of pushups, but how many you can do to the satisfaction of the Sgt. scoring you on the P.T. test is a whole different matter. It sucks when you do two or three push-ups for each one they count.

Don't get caught mimmicking the drill sgt.'svoices either. (that day really sucked)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Packing list for BCT:

1.  Beat up running shoes.  They will make you buy new ones when you get there.
2.  Underwear for 3-4 days and 7 pair white calf-length socks (no ankle-socks)
3.  Sharpie or permanent clothing marker.  Mark all white socks across the toe, underneath, with initals and/or last 4 of social.  Mark all issued underwear this way and ALL your PT gear as the 'buddies' will 'borrow' from you while you are showering.

4.  Take a full hygiene kit, including fingernail clippers and deodorant (anti-perspirant is not recommended as it will keep you from sweating when it is necessary).

5.  Shoe shine kit . . . not necessary, you can buy this at the PX the first day.
6.  Don't bring anything that resembles a weapon.  All sharp pointy things were taken from us . . . because some idiot might break into your locker and decide to slit his wrists with that itty-bitty scissors from the sewing kit . . .

7.  Bring some ziploc bags in the 6x6 or 8x8 range, to put your IET manual in in your pocket . . . it will rain on you and it will be soaked if not protected.  Might also consider larger ziplocs to store spare issue clothing, but don't bring a huge supply as these will also be available later on in the PX (IIRC).

8.  Sweat.  Bring lots of sweat.  You will need it during the first few weeks until the weather begins to cool into autumn.

9.  Folow the 'always volunteer' adivce.  Did this myself . . . never got pegged for the worst assignments and usually got to take it a little easier later on.  But the DS still did couldn't put my name to my face at the end of 9 weeks.  Kinda disappointed, actually.

You will do good if you just keep your head on straight, stick with it and keep up the motivation.  Getting smoked inside the first three weeks is utterly necessary for getting your body into good shape . . . if you are already there it will simply push you farther.  If you are a weight lifter, then you are screwed and will lose muscle mass.

And . . . IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Good luck kiddo

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Good advice above.

Good luck!

Look forward to calling you "Soldier"! Hooah!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Packing list for BCT:

1.  Beat up running shoes.  They will make you buy new ones when you get there.
2.  Underwear for 3-4 days and 7 pair white calf-length socks (no ankle-socks)
3.  Sharpie or permanent clothing marker.  Mark all white socks across the toe, underneath, with initals and/or last 4 of social.  Mark all issued underwear this way and ALL your PT gear as the 'buddies' will 'borrow' from you while you are showering.

4.  Take a full hygiene kit, including fingernail clippers and deodorant (anti-perspirant is not recommended as it will keep you from sweating when it is necessary).

5.  Shoe shine kit . . . not necessary, you can buy this at the PX the first day.
6.  Don't bring anything that resembles a weapon.  All sharp pointy things were taken from us . . . because some idiot might break into your locker and decide to slit his wrists with that itty-bitty scissors from the sewing kit . . .

7.  Bring some ziploc bags in the 6x6 or 8x8 range, to put your IET manual in in your pocket . . . it will rain on you and it will be soaked if not protected.  Might also consider larger ziplocs to store spare issue clothing, but don't bring a huge supply as these will also be available later on in the PX (IIRC).

8.  Sweat.  Bring lots of sweat.  You will need it during the first few weeks until the weather begins to cool into autumn.

9.  Folow the 'always volunteer' adivce.  Did this myself . . . never got pegged for the worst assignments and usually got to take it a little easier later on.  But the DS still did couldn't put my name to my face at the end of 9 weeks.  Kinda disappointed, actually.

You will do good if you just keep your head on straight, stick with it and keep up the motivation.  Getting smoked inside the first three weeks is utterly necessary for getting your body into good shape . . . if you are already there it will simply push you farther.  If you are a weight lifter, then you are screwed and will lose muscle mass.

And . . . IM sent.

I went in '92.  I brought Asics, a pretty new pair, and, they didnt' make me buy new ones.  They made the guys with cross trainers buy new ones.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#32]
OK first to you guys calling me KID. I'm 24 married two kids house payment and three cars. This is a career change. One I've looked forward to fro years. The kid thing dosen't bother me, just wanted you guys to knwo I'm not 17-18.

Uh, whats, "smoked".?    Gas chamber?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
OK first to you guys calling me KID. I'm 24 married two kids house payment and three cars. This is a career change. One I've looked forward to fro years. The kid thing dosen't bother me, just wanted you guys to knwo I'm not 17-18.

Uh, whats, "smoked".?    Gas chamber?

"Kid!"

"Smoked"=Pushups and flutter kicks until the drill is tired.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrats and Good Luck..............You will do fine
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#35]
This Movie Quote was sooooooooo accurate:

(paraphrazing)

"Gump!  What is your soul purpose in this Army?"

"To do whatever it is you tell me to do Drill Sergeant!"

"God dammit Gump, That is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard.  You must be a god damb genius Private Gump."

Oh and don't be a smartass.  There is only one thing that a DI hates more than a dumbass and that is a smartass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'f you'd ever tied 550 cord to an e-tool and, tossed it over wire, you'll know how much the engeneers job is, fundamentally, "teh suuxxor"

We're all on the same team

Hahahah!  No, they actually bought us grappling hooks.

I will however say...   if you've ever taped chemlights to the inside of metal tent pegs in order to get ready for a night breach..
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Ledhead,
Did someone say gas chamber Just kidding I've been through them a bunch of times they're not that bad. Justt don't drop your mask or fail to follow directions unless you want to go through a few times. Also don't panic here and the rifle range is where the DS's can actually put their hands on you to control you, it's not pretty if you try tomake a mad rush for the door and knock one aside or over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top