Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 12:59:49 PM EDT
I want to mail my G19 to Glock to be reconditioned but shipping alone is going to be $32.98.

Can I mail the frame via Airborne Express in one package and the slide and barrel in another?  I'm not shipping a firearm, am I?

I am most worried about theft and insurance.

Also I think I am asking for trouble if I just mail it to:

Glock
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna , GA 30082

Any idiot will know what might be in there.

I have a name of the guy I'm sending it to, should I just address it to him?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ship it via Airborne. I have friends who work for Airborne, and firearms that get shipped through them are always getting stolen by their dirtbag employees.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What I've been told is the part of the pistol with the serial number (frame) is considered to be a firearm even if the slide is not in place.  The slide and barrel should not be considered a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Splitting the parts up increases the chance of a mix-up on Glock's end. You'll still need to ship the reciever as a firearm anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I second Troy.  Mark it as a gun, otherwise you will be sucking air if it gets stolen and you want to collect on the insurrance.  Here is a quote from Fed Ex:

Firearms. FedEx will only accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations when these conditions are met. FedEx will accept and deliver firearms between all areas served in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight and may not be sent C.O.D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the shipper is required to inform FedEx that the package contains a firearm. Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon. The outside of the package should bear no label, marking, or other written notice that a firearm is contained within. This includes the abbreviation of the name of the shipper or recipient if the name would clearly indicate that the package could contain a firearm. Firearms and ammunition may not be shipped in the same package. Ammunition is always an explosive and must be shipped as Dangerous Goods. Signature release is not available for shipments containing firearms.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws including those pertaining to labeling. The local division office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) can provide assistance with the packaging and shipment of firearms.

Ice
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as shippers are concerned, there is a difference between "Firearm' and "Handgun". Handguns must go via Overnite but Firearms can be shipped via Ground. Here's some info from the Glock web site:

General Public:
The general public is permitted to ship handguns via FedEx, UPS.  
If you would like to ship your pistol at the cheaper UPS Ground rate (approx.$12.00), you still can by shipping your pistol in two separate packages. Simply remove your upper slide assembly from your lower receiver and package them in separate boxes and ship them separately.  This changes its definition from Handgun to Firearm so you don’t have to pay the higher UPS handgun rate. (see 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 Sec.921.3, Sec.921.29A & Sec.921.29B)

I would even go so far as to call it "Firearm Parts" but I would most certainly declare it and insure it.
Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
My brother worked for Fed ex. He told me to always ship air. Ground freight gets handled roughly, and it treated like crap. (play football with your Glock?)
I NEVER mark anything "rifle, gun or pistol". I mark it as "machine parts", this way I'm not totally lying.[:E]
Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top