Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 5:55:07 AM EDT
The manufacturer of my handgun is going to do some free upgrades on it.  They said I can UPS or FedEx it to them.

I'm assuming that when it is returned it has to go to an FFL, who I will then pick it up from.

Is this correct?  I'm just trying to stay between the lines.

Thanx.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No I comes directly back to you (FFL's are used to transfer OWNERSHIP)...

FYI-You must ship overnight.

Let the flames begin.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Let the flames begin.

Thanks for the reply.  Does the above comment indicate that this is another simple process mucked up by conflicting/confusing federal regas?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Topic   Shipping A Handgun  ( Oldest To Newest )  
Brohawk
 11/19/2003 9:55:07 AM

The manufacturer of my handgun is going to do some free upgrades on it. They said I can UPS or FedEx it to them.

I'm assuming that when it is returned it has to go to an FFL, who I will then pick it up from.

Is this correct? I'm just trying to stay between the lines.

Thanx.  
W-W
 11/19/2003 9:59:38 AM

Let the flames begin.

Thanks for the reply.  Does the above comment indicate that this is another simple process mucked up by conflicting/confusing federal regas?

Not in this case.  The regulation is quite clear that the firearm can be returned directly to you.  

WW

Ownership has nothing to do with a transfer.  Possession is what matters.  The return of a firearm from repair is specifically covered in the regulation and is one of the exceptions requiring shipment to a licensee.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, W-W has it right, I shipped a Ruger GP-100 back to the plant for repairs, when they fixed it they sent it back to me by UPS, of course I had to do the adult signature thing but that's it.  Also, if you sell a gun to someone in your own state by Federal law you can ship it to them without going thru an FFL dealer.  Just thought you'd want to know about that.  I do think Kalif. has some law about handguns having to go thru an FFL even if it's same state but long guns can go direct and you can even use the USPS if you'd like to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I got it shipped OK, but I think the woman behind the counter wasn't a gun enthusiast.  I didn't seal the package in case the contents needed to be inspected.

First she seems annoyed about the "firearm" thing.  Then she pulls the pistol out of the box (I had it in a big ziplock back for protection) and asks "[pissy tone] Where's the bullets?!"

I reply, "There is no ammunition, only the gun."

She points at the empty magwell, "Where's the clip?!"

"No magazine.  I'm just sending the gun."

(Did she expect me to ship a loaded weapon??!!!!)

She was rude and not very customer-friendly.  I guess that's what I get for coming out of the closet and into the public arena with my gun ownership.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

A 4473 and/or FFL transfer does NOT transfer ownership, it just means that you are legally able to have possession of it, having passed NIC/POC check.

Example: Rented hunting gun for 14 days.  Still owned by rental FFL, etc.

To transfer ownership, a receipt is the best proof you can get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top