Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT

Dear Violence Policy Center Action Network Member:

Today members of the U.S. House approved on a voice vote an amendment offered by Representative Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) to prohibit gun possession by individuals convicted of misdemeanor sex offenses against minors. The Nadler amendment is necessary to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous, known sex offenders. Although current federal law prohibits the transfer to, or possession by, a person convicted of a felony sex offense, it is legal under federal law for persons convicted of misdemeanor sex crimes to buy, sell, and possess firearms. The VPC worked with House members to ensure passage of this important public safety measure. The amendment was added to H.R. 3132, the "Children's Safety Act of 2005," a bill intended to make improvements to the national sex offender registration program.

The Nadler amendment is modeled on the highly successful Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban, a provision the VPC worked hard to add to federal law in 1996 that prohibits gun possession by persons convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence offenses. In 2002 alone, misdemeanor domestic violence convictions accounted for more than 12 percent of rejections of firearm purchases by the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

I got this today, I hadn't heard a peep about it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
I do not understand the "logic" behind these measures. 1. If they are too dangerous to be trusted with a gun, they are too dangerous to be out of prison in the first place. 2. They broke the law in the first place to get there, so what is one more law to break next time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:59:55 PM EDT
I'd have to see the bill to know what I think. If pissing near a playground, or an 18 year and one day-old boffing a 16 year , 364 day old qualifies, it's crap.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT
I agree. This is part of the reason I'm against the felons having no gun rights thing.

a) It has become pretty easy to commit a felony, what's next? "violent" misdemeanors?
b) Taking away someones right to own a gun/VOTE!!!!/get a real job - FOREVER, is kinda harsh. Everyone makes mistakes, condemming a man to a 3rd class citizen status for the rest of his life with no possibility for a pardon/second chance is f'd up.
C) IF THEY ARE THAT DANGEROUS WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY WALING THE STREET????
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:10:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By man_of_few_words:
I do not understand the "logic" behind these measures. 1. If they are too dangerous to be trusted with a gun, they are too dangerous to be out of prison in the first place. 2. They broke the law in the first place to get there, so what is one more law to break next time.

I think your screen name fits you well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:
I agree. This is part of the reason I'm against the felons having no gun rights thing.

a) It has become pretty easy to commit a felony, what's next? "violent" misdemeanors?
b) Taking away someones right to own a gun/VOTE!!!!/get a real job - FOREVER, is kinda harsh. Everyone makes mistakes, condemming a man to a 3rd class citizen status for the rest of his life with no possibility for a pardon/second chance is f'd up.

+1

If someone is a danger, then they shouldn't see the other side of prison walls. If you're gonna let 'em out, then you either restore ALL of their rights, or you declare them a non-citizen and stop taxing them.

You are either a citizen with all the attendant rights and responsibilities or you are not. There should be no middle ground....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:12:37 PM EDT

b) Taking away someones right to own a gun/VOTE!!!!/get a real job - FOREVER, is kinda harsh. Everyone makes mistakes, condemming a man to a 3rd class citizen subject status for the rest of his life with no possibility for a pardon/second chance is f'd up.

If you can't vote, you're not a citizen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:16:44 PM EDT
It really makes me mad the sexual offenders (molesters etc.) get paroled quickly and the prisons are full of people that got busted with some pot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:35:32 PM EDT
I don't think anyone should be banned form owning a firearms, that said, i think if you are too danger ous to be on the street you should stay in prison or be hanged, clear and simple. How often have we heard stories of someone "at high risk to reoffend" being released and doing exactly that, especially in regards to sex crimes. If they are a high risk to reoffend don't release them. If they are not safe to own a firearm they are probably not safe to be among the public either......
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:40:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
You missed the point. It's for the children
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:57 PM EDT
I think this is intended more to just increase the number of people who can't own guns more than anything else. Eventually if you've ever had a parking ticket or jay-walked once when you were fifteen you'll be ineligable to own a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:55:13 PM EDT

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but where else are we going to get people to do 3rd class jobs?

I believe this is part of a nearly unconscious attempt to create a lower caste.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but where else are we going to get people to do 3rd class jobs? Mexico. Oh look, they're already here.

I believe this is part of a nearly unconscious attempt to create a lower caste. Yeeeaaah.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
Is there such a thing as a violent sex offence that isn't a felony?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 7:29:41 PM EDT by motown_steve]
What is a misdemeanor sexual offense against a minor?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
What is a misdemeanor sexual offense against a child?

I have no idea. Like Shotar said, the only "sexual" MM I'm aware of is exposure. "Soliciting [an adult] for Lewdness" is a MM in Fla. However, the Feds have some odd MMs - some punishable by 2 or 4 years in prison . Maybe some states have oddball sex MMs. Or maybe the bill accomplishes nothing and Nadler is just trying to acquire a reputation for something other than (a) morbid obesity and (b) the world's most obnoxious Yankee accent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:34:27 PM EDT

Misdemeanor assault already gets your gun rights taken away for 10 years in CA IIRC.
Top Top