Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:32:22 PM EDT
EE:I have been selling stuff on EE and I have to say that as a whole it has been an interesting experience. Not sure I am going to continue doing that. Although most folks are great a few folks really expect the world on their end. My mistake is being to nice and trusting people. Need to stop that. I am glad to leave feedback for the those who honor their word.

I will be posting other (all unfired goodies) like a Knight's Mark 11, Mod 0 kit, AI AW 50, H&K Mark 23's, LWRC rifles elsewhere.

FFL's: The interesting thing in sending to FFL's is that some FFL's are asking information that I am not willing to provide. I understand that they need data for their log books and I am willing to provide name, address etc. Most often this is done via a driver lic. that I wash out DOB and Divers lic number. Okay I get it no problem.

Now some are asking for copies of Conceal Permits in addition to drivers lic. NOT a big fan of this additional data mining. In fact I will not continue the transaction or provide anything beyond what is required. I get it they are running businesses and they can ask whatever they want, but I am not going to play.

Just a rant really......
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Now some are asking for copies of Conceal Permits in addition to drivers lic. NOT a big fan of this additional data mining. In fact I will not continue the transaction or provide anything beyond what is required. I get it they are running businesses and they can ask whatever they want, but I am not going to play.

Just a rant really......

I always just send a copy of my license with the gun. How many FFLs have asked you for a copy of your permit? Can't say that I blame you for not wanting to send it.ive never heard of that one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Two have asked so far. I am not going to stir it up, I am just not going to do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Simple solution, just tell them you don't have a cc permit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
then pay your local dealer to ship it out to the buyers ffl...unless you don't want to pay for the comfort of not sending your info.
Info for the buyers ffl is their way of trying to stop stolen guns from being turned back into legal ones. most thiefs won't send a copy of their dl out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even easier solution, drop it off at a local FFL for shipment and wash your hands of it. I've seriously gotten shipments from John Smith 123 public square on the shipping label as a return address. People like that are what make dealers only accept transfers from other dealers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

then pay your local dealer to ship it out to the buyers ffl...unless you don't want to pay for the comfort of not sending your info.

Info for the buyers ffl is their way of trying to stop stolen guns from being turned back into legal ones. most thiefs won't send a copy of their dl out.

LOL didn't read thread

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even easier solution, drop it off at a local FFL for shipment and wash your hands of it. I've seriously gotten shipments from John Smith 123 public square on the shipping label as a return address. People like that are what make dealers only accept transfers from other dealers.

As the board members who've used my services can attest, I'm a rare guy  in my area  who'll accept a long gun from someone other than an FFL

The OPs practice of blanking out his DL client ID is problematic.
I need to put an ID number in my bound book as part of the senders information. For non-FFLs thats the client ID number.
I can understand not wanting the DOB out there due to ID theft concerns, but the client ID number is needed by the receiving FFL.

If he is having issues with people demanding additional ID, its probably because the ID he is sending them is insufficient
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bingo! Just what I did.  But I was not thrilled that they were asking and I wanted to share..... nothing more
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the board members who've used my services can attest, I'm a rare guy  in my area  who'll accept a long gun from someone other than an FFL

I need to put an ID number in my bound book as part of the senders information. For non-FFLs thats the client ID number.
I can understand not wanting the DOB out there due to ID theft concerns, but the client ID number is needed by the receiving FFL.

If he is having issues with people demanding additional ID, its probably because the ID he is sending them is insufficient

You are wrong.
I know you'll argue with me, and that's fine, but you are wrong.
If you don't believe me, go ahead and call the ATF.

Here is a link to a recent ATF publication that makes it VERY clear what is required:
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-ruling-2011-1.pdf

Here is a quote:
h. Name of the person (nonlicensee or other Federal firearms licensee (FFL))
from whom the firearm was received (to include a person outside of the
United States, if applicable); and
i. Address (if a nonlicensee) or complete 15-digit license number of the person
from whom the firearm was received (to include the address of a person outside of the United States, if applicable).

If you want the number, fine. But don't try and pretend that the ATF makes you have it.

Edit–
Here is a handy ATF bulletin on how to fill out the disposition record for a firearm:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/SHOT%20Show%202011/SHOT2011%20Firearms%20Inventory%20Procedures%20for%20FFLs%20PDF.pdf

Screenshot:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/ATF1.jpg

BOOM headshot
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also an FFL and prefer to have as much info as possible to cover my ass, but technically you don't need the ID number. I like to get it if possible, but I will accept a copy of drivers license with ID# blacked out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
<–– FFL.

Copy of DL fine, go ahead and black out your DOB and license # if that makes you more comfortable.  I just need your address for the bound book.

WTF would the receiving FFL need a CHL for?  Ours have less info that the DL's do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are wrong.

Here is a link to a recent ATF publication that makes it VERY clear what is required:

Interesting. yet another recent letter that I didn't get a copy of.
We used to get such letters fairly regularly if there was a ruling or change we were to be advised of.
Even the newsletters we used to get are much more infrequent.
So, needless to say, this is the first I've seen that letter.
Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with Toiyabe.
As an FFL myself, I've done numerous transfers from non-licensed individuals...It's not rocket surgery, and I've not been gigged on a compliance inspection yet.
Block your DL number out, OR your address,(please not both) send me a photocopy, I don't mind at all .
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
when you complete a 4473 you have to provide this info - DL # and DOB so why not provide this to another FFL.

I do not see the issue at all here.

I prefer to have this info complete the Boundbook - even if not required. I am a FFL and I just do not see the issue with you / others providing this info.

I just do not understand the issue I guess. Again you are already providing this info when you purchase Serialized Items.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong.

Interesting. yet another recent letter that I didn't get a copy of.
We used to get such letters fairly regularly if there was a ruling or change we were to be advised of.
Even the newsletters we used to get are much more infrequent.
So, needless to say, this is the first I've seen that letter.
Thanks for sharing it.

You can get them via email now: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USATF/subscriber/new?pop=t&topic_id=USATF_35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top