Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:59:46 PM EDT
Menendez, Clinton, Lautenberg, Boxer Urge Frist to Immediately Consider Legislation to Block Foreign Governments from Controlling Operations at U.S. Ports

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Washington, DC – Four United States Senators today urged Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist to schedule for immediate consideration when Congress returns on February 27 legislation being introduced by Senators Robert Menendez and Hillary Clinton to block the sale of U.S. port operations to foreign governments. Unless President Bush or Congress acts, Dubai Ports World, a company owned by the government of the United Arab Emirates, is set to take control of operations at six major U.S. ports on March 2.

“This sale will create an unacceptable risk to the security of our ports,” the Senators wrote to Frist. “We therefore request that emergency legislation we are introducing to ban foreign governments from controlling operations at our ports be slated for immediate consideration when the Senate convenes on February 27.”

Menendez and Clinton announced on Friday, February 17 that they would introduce legislation to ban companies owned by foreign governments from controlling operations at U.S. ports. Today, Frist announced that if the administration does not reverse its decision to approve the Dubai Ports World sale, he will urge the Senate to act. Senators Frank Lautenberg and Barbara Boxer joined Menendez and Clinton today in announcing that they would sponsor legislation.

“This issue transcends philosophical posturing and partisan bickering – it is about our nation’s security,” the letter continued.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
They are racists!!

Lets riot and burn things.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
They actually are if I read this right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]

“We therefore request that emergency legislation we are introducing to ban foreign governments from controlling operations at our ports be slated for immediate consideration when the Senate convenes on February 27.”

This would, of course, shut down about 90% of the terminals in the US and destroy the economy.

The terminal operators should quietly remind the teamsters what being shut down means to their income, and provide the phone numbers for those senators.

Seriously, the terminal operators should pound on these senators.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
They hate Bush and they hate Muslim countries. It's that simple.

They'd nuke Iran faster than GWB ever would.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
On the other hand, this might be a good lesson on what happens when foreign interests end up with an advantage because some sort of world trade agreements give them tax advantages.  We HAVE to give them equal footing in competing for the contract!

I've not really researched this crap, but, from all the hate radio I've been listening to (and NOT just believing everything I hear), it looks like this might be the case.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind.

Grow up CRC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nevermind.

Grow up CRC.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nevermind.

Grow up CRC.

I'm sorry, you're right. It's good for a company from an Islamic state to take control of managing what comes in and out of our ports, regardless of the fact that this company will be working closely with our security agencies, will have access to information regarding our security procedures. There is no increased risk that someone at this company with access to this information would be sympathetic to our enemies cause or that it could be infiltrated by agents of our enemy who intend to kill us.

How liberal of me to think otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like they are discriminating based upon national origin.  Hmmm

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Right! These so-called 'tolerant' folks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right! These so-called 'tolerant' folks

so, let's follow their lead and re-establish Jim Crow-type laws, but call them Hillary Clinton laws.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Rope a dope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
This would never be the case with the Clintons ( too selfish... ), but perhaps it might be a good idea to stop a middle-eastern nation from controlling our ports when we in a war with them? Let's screw the CoC for a second... most terrorism spawns from the middle east ( referring to it as a region, not a religious sector ).

I don't think shutting out the world is such a good idea, but perhaps selective agreements and friendships as far as commerce is the better way to go at this time?

Not saying this is my final opinion.... Discuss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top