Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/11/2003 6:04:03 PM EST
I currently live in Kalifornia and need to sell my firearms. I have a Marlin 45/70 guide gun, HK USP 40 pistol with 2 hi-cap pre-ban mags (both came with the pistol when I purchased it), and a MAK 90 sporter with a few 30 round mags. All 3 weapons are in perfect condition as I rarely ever shoot. Question #1, with the currently Kalifornia laws, what can/can't I sell here? How does one go about selling his firearms? Where can I determine the true market value of these guns for a private sale? Thanks in advance for your answers! Max
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:38:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:41:14 AM EST
I have to disagree with Troy on one issue: You can sell the USP but not the standard capacity (over 10 round) magazines even though they came with the pistol. The only exception would be selling to a law enforcment officer, who has to present authorization on letterhead to make such a pruchase. You can sell the magazines in most states but definitely not to a non-LEO in Cali. You can't lend or give them away or will them to your kids either. If the MAK-90 is a registered assault weapon you can sell it to an FFL who is authorized to deal in assault weapons. Most are not, and I don't know how to locate one. Maybe someone else can offer useful information on that. But if it's not registered you definitely should get it out of the state. Look for the big gun shows in Las Vegas or Phoenix. Here's the Attorney General's firearms program page for more information: [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:54:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 9:55:40 AM EST by eje]
A few months ago I made an inquiry to the CA DOJ whether you could advertise a registered AW for sale to an out-of-state buyer on an internet bulletin board. Here was their reply: "Dear Mr. ******, Your request for information has been received and reviewed. Penal Code section 12280(a)(1) does not prevent you from advertising your lawfully registered assault weapon, for sale to an out-of-state purchaser on an internet bulletin board. Once you have located an out-of-state buyer you must utilize the shipping services of licensed CA firearms dealer who posseses an assault weapon permit to handle the shipping unless you are physically transporting the firearm yourself. Once sold you may contact our office at (916) 227-3703 and we can send you a No Longer In Possession of Assault Weapon form to un-register your assault weapon with our Department. Sincerely, Nate Barrell, Analyst Firearms Division" Personally, I think the law can be read to prohibit you from even advertising your registered AW to an out-of-state buyer, so it's up to you whether to take the risk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:26:21 PM EST
Do you get your $20 bucks back with interest when you "un-register" them? =P
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:39:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:49:39 AM EST
The Norinco MAK90 is on the list as being banned. If this is what you have, your choices are limited. You could destroy the receiver and sell the parts kit, however. Selling this over more than $100 is not unreasonable. You can build your own receiver and use the MAK90 parts plus the required US parts, and forgo some features to remove the SB23 ban. To preserve most of your investment, your best bet may be removing from the state and selling.
Top Top