Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 1:30:56 PM EDT
We had ~$150,000 worth of tools and surveying equipment stolen from a worksite this weekend.  We are looking at hiring some security but I would also like to add a camera or cameras to cover the storage units.  

We do have power at the site and phone service.  I was thinking a camera with internet connection back to our office in case these guys come back.  

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Any suggestions?

Obvious...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Jim, I just designed and installed a large security system over a wide area network.  We went with the Sony RZ30N PTZ cameras since we wanted the flexibility of an IP based system.  The cameras are excellent, but as with all such systems, unless monitored, they are reactionary.  We just had a theft on the property with the cameras fully operational.  Even though well hidden, we could not identify the thief.  He wore a hat and walked as if he knew he was on camera.  We know exactly what he stole and when, but because of the way he kept himself turned from all of the cameras, we could not identify him.  The system is currently unmonitored so the thief got away with the crime.  He walked onto the site so there was no vehicle or license information to assist with the investigation.  To some degree the guy knew what he was doing, albeit he got lucky with an unmonitored system.  The bottom line is that if you use an unmonitored system and the perps are careful, you may still get burned.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping to get a vehichle tag if they come back.  Our site is remote so they probably won't be walking.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top