Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 1:27:19 PM EDT
How are you securing your AR in the patrol vehicle?

Are you hanging it from the carry handle using the shotgun mount? We do this with M16A2s...

Do you carry yours in a case in the trunk or in a case unsecured in the passenger foot well?

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm driving a 2000 Crown Vic. My ar-15 with collapsible stock fits between the front bucket seats. It is held in place by the ProCopper console from the front and the steel cage from the back. It's not locked in place but it is very hard to see at night and it doesn't move around during hard cornering. The weapon doesn't stay in the car when I'm off duty, I bring it inside with me (I don't want my AR to catch a cold in the winter weather!)

Karl
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
We use a locking mount in the trunk. The system is set up to use the standard push button unlocking system, like the shotgun mount between the front seats, but for some strange reason the higher-ups didn't like this method. I have to use a handcuff key to unlock the mount.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My current Impala has a Ar-15 mount above my head on the cage. I can unlock it from the dash, a button on my siren control, or a special key. The shotgun is in the trunk. My CV will have room for both in the cabin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've researched this pretty well and have found the following.  Locks from Big Sky or Tufloc will not work with AR's mounting tactical lights (you do have a white light DON'T YOU).  The best options for securing an AR in the passenger's compartment come from Pro-Guard or Sage Industries.

I prefer the Pro-Guard model that mounts to the cage.  This is an "out of sight" mount that avoids many of the "why do you have a machine gun" questions and also reduces the likelihood of theft.  The mount is modular and will accomodate both carbines and rifles.  If you want to mount a rifle with a Millienum, you'll need to "tweak" the mount.  I posted instructions on how to do this at my web site.  The URL is [url]http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/fa-index.html[/url]  Look in the "AR-15 Advocacy" Section.

Sage Industries makes several mounts that also work welll with AR's.  Several of their mounts are compatbile with tactical lights and optics, especially the ones that mount to the prisoner cage.  These aren't as "concealed" but do the job.  Their URL is [url]http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/[/url]

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, my comments about the Big Sky rack related to rifles with SureFire's Millenium light.  In general, their racks are great and I've used their overhead for my 870 with great results.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Locked in the trunk in a soft case. Not a speedy system, but you can get it out very quickly, if needed (I know).
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My AR was secured in the front of my last car with the common vertical between the seat lock you see shotguns in.  This was very quick.  When the new chief took over he would not allow them to be in the front because they look "intimidating".  Its now in the trunk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top