Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 4:48:43 PM EDT
For the next 2 weeks, I'm a bachleor while my wife is visiting family in California. I'm bored out of my mind, so I decided to BBQ some ribeye. My grill is in sorry shape.

OK, so on the recommendation of God know how many people, I've decided to season the cast iron grates on my grill with bacon grease. I just fried up 2 pounds of bacon, and have a Crisco can full of hot grease.

Do I brush it on my grates while the grease is hot? Do I let it solidify first, then wipe on on with a paper towel? How long do I heat the grates, and how hot should it be? What's the process? Help me out, you arfcom BBQ wizards!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Same principle as an iron skillet, I suppose...you could use lard, bacon grease, peanut oil, anything.  

For a skillet, you'd just coat it real good with your lube of choice,  and then pop it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour or so.  You'll find various methods on the 'net for how long/what temperture, but they all involve the same idea.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
season it like cast iron?
this is new to me...

what we have always done is build a hot fire in it using hard wood.
oak, hickory etc.  let it get hot.  400-500 deg. and cook the steel for an hour or two.  then let it cool
over the next days build a small smoky hardwood fire in it and just smoke the hell out of the pit.

if you have to replace the grate just do so.  i would not try to "season" the grate.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
fire up the grill, flip an old cookie sheet or sheet pan over the grates, let burn off for 20-30 minutes, hit with a little oil or grease on a rag-use a pair of tongs as it will be hot. If its really bad, soak in the sink-or sparay-with degreaser and proceed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
this is new to me...

oak, hickory etc.  let it get hot.  400-500 deg. and cook the steel for an hour or two.  then let it cool
over the next days build a small smoky hardwood fire in it and just smoke the hell out of the pit.

if you have to replace the grate just do so.  i would not try to "season" the grate.  

he mentioned his grates are made of cast iron...I don't think it will hurt to season them.  Worst it could do is be a waste of time...but it might help them to avoid rust.  Who knows lol.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is new to me...

he mentioned his grates are made of cast iron...I don't think it will hurt to season them.  Worst it could do is be a waste of time...but it might help them to avoid rust.  Who knows lol.  

Yup. They are cast iron grates. If you don't season them, they WILL rust and food will stick. I had a spray cooking oil on them before, but it gave me a few problems, namely:

1. Food was still sticking.
2. The spray crap never burned off! My grates were getting sludgy.

The importance of protecting he grates can't be overemphasized. When I scrubbed them down in the sink, they began rusting in minutes. So far, the bacon drippings have been great! No rust, the food doesn't stick, and my grates aren't oily. That stuff is great. How come none of you Southerners told this yank about bacon grease? I'm finding all kinds of usefull things to do with it. I'll never toss the drippings again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#7]
LIGHTLY oil your protein before placing on grill to avoid sticking-provided you aren't fucking with it after throwing it right on also....

After cooking, invert said sheetpan over grill for a couple of minutes to brun off any residue, brush with a wire brush and wipe down with oil. I would opt for a neutral veg oil rather than bacon fat due to rancidity concerns but to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is new to me...

Yup. They are cast iron grates. If you don't season them, they WILL rust and food will stick. I had a spray cooking oil on them before, but it gave me a few problems, namely:

1. Food was still sticking.
2. The spray crap never burned off! My grates were getting sludgy.

The importance of protecting he grates can't be overemphasized. When I scrubbed them down in the sink, they began rusting in minutes. So far, the bacon drippings have been great! No rust, the food doesn't stick, and my grates aren't oily. That stuff is great. How come none of you Southerners told this yank about bacon grease? I'm finding all kinds of usefull things to do with it. I'll never toss the drippings again.

try a tablespoon or two in black eyed peas or green beans  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there anything bacon can't do?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there anything bacon can't do?

insert Moslem joke here    

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Wait a minute, wait a damn minute.......

YOU LET YOUR WIFE BEHIND ENEMY LINES?!?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top