Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 5:24:32 PM EDT
It used to be my favorite season, this winter fucking sucks. Work has been hell. Super busy and working 14 hour days, except on Wednesday.

Tuesday was pretty cold, and for some reason, our hot water pipe to the upstairs bathroom froze. Whenever it got very cold and windy, it would freeze. I couldn't figure out why, until Wednesday.

I get a call from my frantic wife, saying that there is water pouring in the kitchen, out of the light fixtures and smoke detector. I explain to her how to turn the water off in the basement and she gets it. I come right home, and I thought I always knew right where it was freezing, because when we moved in to the house, I had to fix a pipe in the kitchen ceiling that was broken. So I got the step ladder, climbed up and punched a hole in the ceiling right there. Fuck. Everything is nice and dry here.

So then she tells me that the water was really pouring out of another light fixture, not the same one I just put a fresh hole next to. So I head over there, and punched another hole. Bingo! There it is.

Then it all came together for me. These water pipes ran right along with the bathroom vent for the down stairs bathroom. Over the spring, or last winter the flapper for the vent outlet on the side of the house disappeared, but I didn't notice it until there were baby birds in there, pretty far back. I didn't want to put one on and smell rotten baby birds for a few weeks, so I said Ill wait until they fly the coup, and put a new vent cover on. Well, I procrastinated, then I forgot, until Wednesday night.

The birds had one hell of a nest at the hole I made. They punched through the vent, and made a mansion between those floor joists. Unfortunatly for me, the whole in the vent pipe was right along side of my hot water pipe, leading upstairs.

So after my TL;DR story, fuck you winter. Fuck you birds. Fuck you procrastination. And fuck water too.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So no one gives a shit about the hole in my ceiling, or how lazy I am?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the work is partially done you could put an elevator shaft there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since the work is partially done you could put an elevator shaft there.
View Quote

You're right! I am half way to the second floor, after all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd post a pic of me and My daughter flying a kite. But, I've been drinking and I'm on my phone. So enjoy global warming.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily
View Quote

Well, I started that before this thread. Now I just have to stare at that hole every time I go for another beer in the fridge.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd post a pic of me and My daughter flying a kite. But, I've been drinking and I'm on my phone. So enjoy global warming.
View Quote

Truth be told, I love the cold. I just hate some of the shit that comes with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
No elevator, a firemans pole.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No elevator, a firemans pole.
View Quote

Hmm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Truth be told, I love the cold. I just hate some of the shit that comes with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've promised my daughter she will see snow. I think next year I will be able to take her
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've promised my daughter she will see snow. I think next year I will be able to take her
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, at this rate you shouldn't have to go too far north next year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I admire the work of our feathered buddies
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that plastic dryer vent for an exhaust?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I admire the work of our feathered buddies
View Quote

I kinda did too, as I pulled an entire trash bag worth of shit out, between those floor joists. I did pull a dried out feather friend, along with all of that shit, also.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is that plastic dryer vent for an exhaust?
View Quote

Don't be silly. Its only 3 inches, not 4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top