Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:10:46 PM EDT
Looks like I'll have to find another company that manage to not fuck up something as simple as a license plate holder.  Another "Tail Tidy" bites the dust...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Back fell off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, how'd you mange that?  The one on my bike is stamped out of what looks like 1/8 plate.  R&G made the better of the ones I looked at.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had a prob with RG- just long shipping from UK.

Nice duc
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate to tell you this but thats not pot metal....it's fatigue failure from vibrations.  It is right at the weakest point where the metal was bent/stamped. . Pretty common actually when it comes to license plates relocations and bikes. I went through 4 of the bent sheet metal and welded side mount types on mine before going back to mounting back where it originally was. different bike but same issue, seen it a bunch on all sorts of bikes and all sorts of mounts. Usually though the tail ones on sport bikes are effected less than swingarm or shock stud mounts on cruisers.

At least you didn't lose the plate , gets old when you have to file a report and get a new one issued.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh...less than a year old... (the tidy tail not the bike)...  The metal is very porous where it failed.   I'd go along with the vibration theory except that no other part on this bike is falling off from vibrations...and the first one managed to make it 4 years before the LED plate light failed.  R&G told me to pound sand because I no longer have the paper receipt.  Not even looking for a replacement tire, rear carbon fiber fender, cost of a new plate & registration (that one is toast), etc.....I just wanted a replacement Tidy Tail (not sure why at this point).  They said they would give me a 50% off a new one.  I said no thanks and  I'd post these pics up on every forum that I'm a member of dealing with motorcycles instead.  If 5 people don't buy their product (not just because it failed...but because of their horrible customer service) then I'll be satisfied since it will cost me about 5 tidy tails to replace all of the damaged parts.....

Buyer beware...shitty CS...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eh...less than a year old... (the tidy tail not the bike)...  The metal is very porous where it failed.   I'd go along with the vibration theory except that no other part on this bike is falling off from vibrations...and the first one managed to make it 4 years before the LED plate light failed.  R&G told me to pound sand because I no longer have the paper receipt.  Not even looking for a replacement tire, rear carbon fiber fender, cost of a new plate & registration (that one is toast), etc.....I just wanted a replacement Tidy Tail (not sure why at this point).  They said they would give me a 50% off a new one.  I said no thanks and  I'd post these pics up on every forum that I'm a member of dealing with motorcycles instead.  If 5 people don't buy their product (not just because it failed...but because of their horrible customer service) then I'll be satisfied since it will cost me about 5 tidy tails to replace all of the damaged parts.....

Buyer beware...shitty CS...
View Quote

....Wow that is shitty CS....if it's porous it could be from a bad batch of steel, keep your eyes out and see if others post up similar incidents with their products purchased around the same time frame.  If you've still got the old one cut it where this one failed and see if it's porous there.  

You'd be surprised what vibrations can do, I've had them break some of the weirdest stuff, yet leave things you'd figure would break alone and unharmed.  I got nothing else falling off my bike but I seem to break side mount plates every year or two, gave up after crappy CS from vendors as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top