Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:36:47 PM EDT
I just bought an RWS 34 pellet rifle and Bushnell 3-9x32 scope and started to sight it in today. Well the pellets land about a foot directly below the center of the target. I thought the rings were backwards (if you could even do such a thing) so I reversed them and the same thing happened. You guys have any tips?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, adjust the scope's elevation.  That's that knob thingy on top of the scope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
First, buy an airgun scope, that gun will destroy a regular scope. If you still have that problem, throw a shim in the back ring.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
First, buy an airgun scope, that gun will destroy a regular scope. If you still have that problem, throw a shim in the back ring.

+1 a magnum powered pellet gun will eat up a regular scope like you would not believe. I killed one after putting it on a  Beeman pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It is an airgun rated scope, and I am out of elevation on the scope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Back up to the 50 yard line!  it's not a 300 yard rifle!

Seriously, shimming is probably your answer.  Any gunsmith oughta have shim stock.  Just tell him how much error you have and he should be able to dope out how much shim you will need.

Good advice on the airgun/scope issue even though you were luckily knowledgable enough to know better.  Something to do with how airguns recoil forward rather than back like a normal firearm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Please expain this shim the rear base thing. Best material to use? Under the actual mount or under the scope?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Aim a foot high
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
pump it more
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Shim can be bought a most gun stores.  On an air rifle a piece of beer can and E-tape can fix it right up.      I know I'm cheap, but the beer can plus e-tape (for grip and a non-scratch surface) is about the perfect thickness.  

Damn:  Beekeeper beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah i have a buddy who gets some kinda sick thrill out of sporterizing military bolt guns.  He does this all the time.  It's no big deal.  Make sure you torque the screws down well.

Just stay the hell away from my military guns or you're gonna pull back a stump!  he he he
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just bought an RWS 34 pellet rifle and Bushnell 3-9x32 scope and started to sight it in today. Well the pellets land about a foot directly below the center of the target. I thought the rings were backwards (if you could even do such a thing) so I reversed them and the same thing happened. You guys have any tips?

Ummmmm .... how far did you set the target? It seems that the pellet may not be "reaching" the target.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmm .... how far did you set the target? It seems that the pellet may not be "reaching" the target.

I promise this air rifle has enough juice.

Eidt - one peice of soda can and e tape did not really chanige the POI.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait shouldnt I shim the front scope ring?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wait shouldnt I shim the front scope ring?

Only if you want to be 2 foot low.

Raising the rear causes you to bring up the front to get it in line, raising point of impact.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
so... what is the distance your trying to reach?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
You might try the RWS C scope mount that is made for the air rifle if you aren't using it now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I am less  than 60 feet for sure and probibly closer to 50 feet. I shimmed the rear with a peice of a soda can bent over its self and enclosed in e tape. That rests below my scope on the rear mount, see below.

>-||----------||------<    <Scope and rings
__#
__||_______||    < Mounts = ||    
=================----------------------   <Reciever and barrel

Shim = #
Ignore the ___ in front of the shim and the mounts (they are there for spacing only)

I cannot mount the shim under the mounts because the mounts have curved bases and the shim doesnt raise the mount.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I had the same problem on my airgun. After 2 different airgun scopes I found the RWS-C mount.
Solved all my problems.
BTW...I was considering getting the same gun...Other than shooting a foot low haow do you like it?
I am looking for a gun to shoot pigeons and rabbits.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I bet it will be a nice rifle once I get it sighted in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top