BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:14:53 AM EDT
Sheep flatulence inoculation developed

The Telegraph
By Peter Allen in Paris
Last Updated: 3:38PM BST 05/06/2008

New Zealand scientists claim to have developed a "flatulence inoculation" aimed at cutting down on the massive amount of methane produced by its sheep and cows.

Sheep, cattle, goats and deer produce large quantities of gas through belching and flatulence.

Such animals are believed to be responsible for more than half of the country's greenhouse gases, causing huge environmental problems.

But Phil Goff, New Zealand's trade minister, told an Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) in Paris yesterday that a solution was in sight.

"Our agricultural research organisation just last week was able to map the genome ... that causes methane in ruminant animals and we believe we can vaccinate against" flatulent emissions, Mr Goff said.

Scientists in New Zealand have been working around-the-clock to reduce emissions from agriculture, such as changing the way fertilisers are used on pasture land, Mr Goff added.

Sheep, cattle, goats and deer produce large quantities of gas through belching and flatulence, as their multiple stomachs digest grass.

Ruminants are responsible for about 25 per cent of the methane produced in Britain, but in countries with a large agricultural sector, the proportion is much higher.

The 45 million sheep and 10 million cattle in New Zealand burped and farted about 90 percent of that country's methane emissions, according to government figures.

In comparison, livestock are responsible for about two per cent of the United States's greenhouse gas emissions, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Under the Kyoto Protocol to combat global warming, New Zealand must reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to 5.2 percent below 1990 levels by 2012.

In the past New Zealand's farmers have showed their disgust at government plans to impose an animal "flatulence tax" by sending parcels of manure to members of parliament.

The OECD conference is discussing climate change, trade and the global economy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Now if Burger King could include some with their onion rings
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Them Kiwi folk are full of ingenuity.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now if Burger King could include some with their onion rings

+1.

Same for the combination of Wendy's fries and a Frostie.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I suppose it proves that necessity is the mother of invention.

Just what are they doing spending all that time behind the sheep?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose it proves that necessity is the mother of invention.

Just what are they doing spending all that time behind the sheep?

He was just helping that sheep over the fence. Really.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats just a bunch of hot air
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
This vaccine was developed in an effort to reduce the more commonly employed remedy for livestock flatulence in New Zealand: that of sticking one's genitals into the animals' rectum.
Apologies to any Kiwis here.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn! i kinda liked the feeling I got when they farted.. It kinda quivers!

OOOOOOOOooohHHHHHHh..

Ok im.. better now..

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm wondering how this is going to work. Some sort of chemical reaction must produce the methane, I would think it would be important for their digestion.

I don't know what causes it, but I'm really curious to see how this works. Anyone know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top