Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:03:14 AM EDT
Normally, I shave with a blade, but would like to have some kind of electric shaver on hand for quick and easy shaves, say before a date or something. I have no idea what is decent and won't chew up my face. There is such a huge range in pricing that I don't know how to fo on this. Thanks for any and all useful info.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I had gotten a Phillips about 4 years ago and and it's been flawless and the charge holds up great.  No irritation and so much faster than a razor.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
How long does it take you to shave that you think this would save time?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Braun series 7
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long does it take you to shave that you think this would save time?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The $20 ones are about what you'd expect.
Fortunately, it's good-enough for most occasions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I got one of those red Philips ones they have commercials about that comes with the three trimming attachments, works great. Can shave in the shower, cuts down on time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Me, I've got thick stubble. I've tried a bunch, over the years, but all wound up being too much irritation and hassle. None could tame my stubble.

My dad also has my stubble, yet he's been electric for years. Usually the routine involves his shaver buzzing for about a half hour, while he putts around the house making coffee and what-not. That's a fail, IMOHO. But again, I've got a think beard.

Dollarshaveclub.com works for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a Braun series 3 for ~$50 last month...

I treat myself to a DE razor shave twice a week or more because I liked it better. I would rather have put the money towards ammo or Sheiner or a hot date or sig conversion barrel if I were to do it again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Used em for 30 years or so...Norelco or Braun are really the only ones worth talking about...between the two Braun is the best...IMHO. I still use blades occasionally though!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never used one that didn't suck major league ass. In for leads on a decent shaver.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I used all various kinds over the years ...and I always go back to blade.

None work as quickly and as well as a blade.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never used one that didn't suck major league ass. In for leads on a decent shaver.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Normally, I shave with a blade, but would like to have some kind of electric shaver on hand for quick and easy shaves, say before a date or something. I have no idea what is decent and won't chew up my face. There is such a huge range in pricing that I don't know how to fo on this. Thanks for any and all useful info.
View Quote

I am on my second Braun, a series/model 8585. Just recently had a tear in the screen. Looked online and found a replacement @ Target for $27 (half of what a third party reseller wanted) It came with new blades and screen. So I bought 2!. Now I should have 14-15 years more use based on my current shaver has lasted for 7 years so far. My first Braun was bought in Germany in 1988, and lasted till 2007. I just can't find a screen for it, or I would still be using it.ymmv You can't go wrong wit a Braun, imho.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Electric shaver?!

OP probably drives a Ridgeline.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I shave with a razor on Monday and Wed mornings and touch up with one of these little guys in between.  Works great as long as the hair is relatively short.  Being in the military and having to shave daily, I've found this routine to be the fastest and result in the least amount of razor burn.  I usually buy one per year.  Bought expensive electric razors in the past and some didn't even make it a full year, yet these little $15 POS's last forever.  When I retire the one at the house I bring it to work as a backup or in the event I'm running late and forget to shave....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Braun-MobileShave-Shaver-M60BV/12551547
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shave with a razor on Monday and Wed mornings and touch up with one of these little guys in between.  Works great as long as the hair is relatively short.  Being in the military and having to shave daily, I've found this routine to be the fastest and result in the least amount of razor burn.  I usually buy one per year.  Bought expensive electric razors in the past and some didn't even make it a full year, yet these little $15 POS's last forever.  When I retire the one at the house I bring it to work as a backup or in the event I'm running late and forget to shave....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Braun-MobileShave-Shaver-M60BV/12551547
View Quote

Braun - but SKIP THE "CLEANING BASE" - it is a waste of $$$.   Look, I have one.  All it does is briefly run the razor in some denatured alcohol.  Really really expensive alcohol.  

What does that accomplish?  Braun says it "sterilizes" the razor - I guess that matters when you are sharing with - wait WTF??  WHO SHARES THEIR PERSONAL SHAVER?!?!!  NO ONE!

Further, the 3, 5 and 7 series Braun have sealed heads that you can run under the fawcet with hot running water (but, you can't take the whole thing in the shower).  Still - hot water cleans out the clippings as well or better than the alcohol (did I mention its expensive alcohol??).  

If you still really feel the need for the alcohol, just pop off the foil and squirt some .99 cent isopropyl alcohol on there and let it dry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never used one that didn't chew up my face.  I swore them off years ago.  I don't have a thick beard in terms of population density, but I suspect that I do have course, thick stubble in terms of individual hairs.  An electric just seems to yank and jerk and have trouble cutting through.  Also, I don't recall ever using an electric when I wouldn't find some uncut hairs that had escaped by virtue of being pushed flat - particularly when coming back for a quick touch up or dry shave.  Very frustrating to reach for a blade to touch up what the electric couldn't handle when you are in a hurry.  So I ended up concluding that I wasn't really saving much time after all and the shave was inferior to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a Braun series 3. It works pretty well for my face but doesn't do that great of a job on my neck. I bought it when I was in Afghanistan because using a razor to shave without water is a bitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top