Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 11:30:59 AM EDT
Ok I went to home depot today to look at space heaters. I live in a small house and live alone so there is no need to heat the whole thing. My furnace is original (house was built in the 1960s) and inefficient as hell. Space heaters seem to fall under two categories. Oil filled traditional radiator style or a directional heating element coupled with a fan. What is best for my needs?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Space cannot be heated. It is a vacuum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok I went to home depot today to look at space heaters. I live in a small house and live alone so there is no need to heat the whole thing. My furnace is original (house was built in the 1960s) and inefficient as hell. Space heaters seem to fall under two categories. Oil filled traditional radiator style or a directional heating element coupled with a fan. What is best for my needs?

Just do it right and turn your damn furnace on before you burn your house down will you?

I've seen WAY to many fires from those things to trust my house/life to them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just do it right and turn your damn furnace on before you burn your house down will you?

I've seen WAY to many fires from those things to trust my house/life to them.

Space heaters don't knock themselves over anymore then guns fire themselves. Doing it the "right way" led to $300+ a month gas bills last winter. The land lord will not pay for me to insulate, nor will he have the furnace inspected or replaced. My only hope is the damn thing dies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want heat fast get one with a fan.  Those oil filled heaters with no fans take a long time to heat an area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Space heaters don't knock themselves over anymore then guns fire themselves. Doing it the "right way" led to $300+ a month gas bills last winter. The land lord will not pay for me to insulate, nor will he have the furnace inspected or replaced. My only hope is the damn thing dies.

Then you know what you need to do before it gets cold.

Just fired it up and poof. Now get me a new one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Then you know what you need to do before it gets cold.

Just fired it up and poof. Now get me a new one.

Thats the problem. The original dinosaur furnace works. But it is inefficient and way past its life span. He also refuses to pay to have it looked at or serviced since "it still works". I am pretty sure replacing a central air furnace is a $2000+ job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top