Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2017 12:22:21 AM EDT
HAMLET, N.C. – Administrators at Richmond Early College High School distributed 22 pre-ordered yearbooks on Tuesday, only to take them back hours later over “controversial” Donald Trump inspired quotes.

Shortly after school officials distributed the pre-ordered yearbooks, at least one person posted an image of senior quotes published in the yearbook they found offensive, including one “build that wall” quote critics allege is racist, the Richmond County Daily Journal.

“So Richmond county school system allowed this to be printed in their 2017 year book (sic),” Artney Ellerbe posted online, along with a senior photo that’s accompanied by the Donald Trump quote. “I already knew this city was racist. Get a court date you’ll find out. This doesn't surprise me at all.”

Officials are now offering refunds for the yearbooks, which cost between $30 and $39 depending on when they’re ordered, and will not be distributing any more. The school’s last day of classes is May 18, and new yearbooks cannot be reprinted in time so the Class of 2017 will have to go without, she said.

Parents of students at the school told the Daily Journal the principal approved the yearbook quotes, and many think school officials are overreacting.

“I feel that young lady only stood up for her freedom of speech by using the quote of her choice,” said Charity Davis, mother of freshman Chase Brown. “Every senior was given the opportunity to choose a quote. It was her right as an American to choose any quote under the sun.”

Davis also questioned why the yearbooks were not screened for potentially offensive material before they went to print.

http://eagnews.org/school-administrators-cancel-yearbooks-over-trump-build-that-wall-senior-quote/
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow must be a small school if they only cost up to $40. Hell I remember way back when ours were $50 and up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck 'em all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
A court date for what? You wanting to shut down your classmate's speech? That's not how this works. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A court date for what? You wanting to shut down your classmate's speech? That's not how this works. 
View Quote
I think they mean they went to court for committing a crime and were punished for said crime, therefore the city is racist.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think they mean they went to court for committing a crime and were punished for said crime, therefore the city is racist.
View Quote
Reads like a threat for a suit to me. 

Apparently 4 years there wasn't enough time to learn how to string together a few coherent sentences. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's how I read it...
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Instant collectors item.  $$$$$
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't wait till America snaps and it becomes commonplace to beat the living shit out of someone that makes huge changes to things because of "feels". 

Fuck you and fuck your feels. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
So the idiots cancel a yearbook for a quote from a sitting POTUS?

Mind blown.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Wreong thread
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
They halted distribution of our yearbooks because somebody put "Let's have a snowstorm" in their senior comments section.

Keep in mind this was in Massachusetts where half the kids in my school skiied, but school officials overreacted somehow interpreting it to be about cocaine. They ended up cutting part of the page out of half the yearbooks (cutting part of a student's senior picture out of the other side of the page) before realizing they should cover it up with a sticker.

They had no problem with my comment about Schnapps, but couldn't tolerate a reference to snow
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
This country needs an enema. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
lobotomy 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
So the kids that don't care about some snowflake's tears can't get the yearbooks that they have already paid for?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Richmond county is pretty rich and vibrant, not as bad as Wadesboro/Anson county but I'm not surprised by the reaction of the school officials.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Build it!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#20]
More insanity from insane "educators."
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't wait till America snaps and it becomes commonplace to beat the living shit out of someone that makes huge changes to things because of "feels". 

View Quote
that's the way it was 40 yrs ago.  beating the shit out of a "feeler"  was overlooked by school administration.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lobotomy 
View Quote
It's already had one - that's why we're in this mess now!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Another 5 fuckin' feet!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awwww. Are your feels hurt, cupcake? 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
HAMLET, N.C. – yearbooks, which cost between $30 and $39  
View Quote

Was this a paperback?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lobotomy 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lobotomy 
The lobotomy has already happened.

Ahhh, beat awhile ago...but it's still true.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's how I read it...
View Quote
That's because you can actually read. There are others in here who clearly cannot.

Back to the original story, fuck that school. This is America. She did nothing wrong and half the fucking country or more agrees with her quote.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, just fresh out of fucks to give. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Build the Yearbook!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I was half-tempted to throw myself into oncoming traffic when I heard about this this morning.

Spineless school system.

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you say anything that I don't like it's racist and I'm gonna sue. Says it all doesn't it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#35]

(F)flourine (U)uranium (C)carbon (K)potassium (Bi)bismuth (Tc)technetium (He)helium (S)sulfur (Ge)germanium (Tm)thulium (O)oxygen (Ne)neon (Y)yttrium.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow must be a small school if they only cost up to $40. Hell I remember way back when ours were $50 and up.
View Quote
Mine was around $20. About 300 kids total 9th-12th
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both of my kids are in HS now.  Their yearbooks start at $75, more if you want extras like personalized details.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#38]
i especially like it since it was a chick that included the Trump quote. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Richmond county is pretty rich and vibrant, not as bad as Wadesboro/Anson county but I'm not surprised by the reaction of the school officials.
View Quote
This. Add corrupt to the core as well. FSA all way in that county. CCW there for sure. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#40]
It's Racist and Offensive to but up a non discriminatory barrier on your border, and we can't allow anyone to be able to read that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Lol fuck them. We buildin' dat wall
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#42]
The Snowflakes are growing increasingly angry.  They're not getting their way enough to suit them.  And every time President Trump makes a statement they find "idiotic" and "crazy" it turns out to be 100% correct.  He's winning so much they don't know what to do.  So they get mad and lash out emotionally.  Gonna be a long hot summer.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Snowflakes are growing increasingly angry.  They're not getting their way enough to suit them.  And every time President Trump makes a statement they find "idiotic" and "crazy" it turns out to be 100% correct.  He's winning so much they don't know what to do.  So they get mad and lash out emotionally.  Gonna be a long hot summer.  
View Quote
The angrier they get the better, sheep finally see the insanity and get red pilled.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the fb post in the OP.  No way I would ever put an attorney on retainer over something I found "offensive."  Think of how many ARs I could build for that money lol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
While I hope for the same thing - you have to remember that soon we will be greatly outnumbered by those with "The Feels". . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#46]
How can the school "take them back".

Purchased, paid for, and delivered.  The year books were the legal property of the students.

Seems like theft.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

(F)flourine (U)uranium (C)carbon (K)potassium (Bi)bismuth (Tc)technetium (He)helium (S)sulfur (Ge)germanium (Tm)thulium (O)oxygen (Ne)neon (Y)yttrium.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guess where I am?

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While I hope for the same thing - you have to remember that soon we will be greatly outnumbered by those with "The Feels". . .

CMOS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMOS
http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/eric-metaxas/next-generation-americans-gen-z-may-be-most-conservative-wwii
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If anything, it's more expensive to do them when you're a small district. You don't get the benefit of price breaks for high volume, and you still have all the overhead from the yearbook company that's a flat fee. 

ETA: Either way, the school must be subsidizing the cost of those books through ad sales, or just the district paying for a good chunk of it. A small district will pay about $90-100 if they're selling around 100 units. I recently looked at the yearbook website of a school in FL which was selling them for 70-90 bucks depending on the time of year ordered. They had a really nice site. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top