Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:43:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]

What are "preps"?

Sorry - I don't know anything about this, since I don't have kids.  But I do remeber a bomb threat to my elementary school in Denmark when I was a little kid.  how's that for weird?  

Hopefully it's a group of stupid teenagers that are egging each other one, and the whole bunch will be caught all at once.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We had alot of those happening back when I was in school (dark ages.) My dad was the police chief,
his ansewer to it was let us stand outside and freeze, and then the student responsible would be found by us and taken care of..  It worked. Don't know what to say, but at least they are prosecuting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is recurring among different people it seems pretty serious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are "preps"?

Sorry - I don't know anything about this, since I don't have kids.  But I do remeber a bomb threat to my elementary school in Denmark when I was a little kid.  how's that for weird?  

Hopefully it's a group of stupid teenagers that are egging each other one, and the whole bunch will be caught all at once.

Preppys=rich kids
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If beating the perps is out of the question....

....then take you son out of the gov't schools.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are "preps"?

"Prep," or commonly "preppy" is a derogatory term used in the US to describe kids from upper or upper-middle class households who dress and/or act in a certain fashion.

It makes reference to the similarity to and uniformity of appearance of kids at "preparatory schools," which are basically private high schools in distant locales; these were ostensibly designed to prepare kids for university (often ivy league) and hark back even to the days before public education was as pervasive as it is now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was in High School we would have a bomb threat the first nice day of Spring, but this was quite pre 9/11.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
We had this happen when I was in the 8th Grade in '72 except that it was 2 or three a day for about three days. They were catching these people, too. What stopped it was when the Principal got on the intercom and anounced that every hour lost to a bomb threat would be made up before school would be let out for the summer and if you didn't make it up, you didn't pass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are "preps"?

"Prep," or commonly "preppy" is a derogatory term used in the US to describe kids from upper or upper-middle class households who dress and/or act in a certain fashion.

It makes reference to the similarity to and uniformity of appearance of kids at "prepatory schools," which are basically private high schools in distant locales; these were ostensibly designed to prepare kids for university (often ivy league) and hark back even to the days before public education was as pervasive as it is now.

Also derives from what school nurses do to the wounds received when beated up by jocks and other students, i.e. "Please 'prep' that cut on the 'prep' student. "

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit, we never had bomb threats when I was in high school. But that was more than 25 yrs ago. There were just some things you didn't do.

Now fire alarms.....

Though I never did. There were just somethings I wouldn't do.

Most likely this won't happen so much next school year, it's just this years passing fad. But the calls do have to be taken serious. Too bad it seems the kids aren't learning from the mistakes of previous offenders. They are being informed/kept abreast of the consequences, aren't they?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Well We have them here (in HS). Havent had one this year yet but who knows what will happen. My Freshman year we had a bad problem with them. What they do when they catch the kids that done it is; Make them pay a s***load in fines (anywhere from 5 grand up) and they are expeled from the county school system for one school year. Things can go beyond that if necessary. The fines are for the LEOs and EMTs adn several other things I think it includes the lunch staff pay..

I think we have solved the problem by doing this (that or most have graduated).

We also have a sign out system that tracks students movement in and out of class.

It goes like this:

Name:
Date:
Reason for leaving:
Time OUT:
Time IN:

If there is an incedent the Sign in sheets are recovered and reviewed. The students that meet what they are looking for (like Male, Female, past incidents, etc.) and they have them right out a statement and their handwriting is reviewed.

This has solved several problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
What TJ and Bama said. Preps are the rich kids that live in the expensive homes, drive expensive cars, etc.

The town I live in and went to high school in is a mid-to-upper middle class town and I attended a high school that was a mix of preppy kids and kids from a couple other middle class towns.  So I went to a preppy school.

TJ I wish that your kid does not get harmed at school.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This isn't once a year guys.  Its like some kid stands up once a month and makes multiple threats.

The other highschool has had 17 threats last month alone.  That's the school going to Saturdays.

Tj

P-R-I-V-A-T-E         S-C-H-O-O-L-S

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTF, Second bomb threat this week at my son's highschool.  This is such a problem here right now that theres discussion on cancelling spring break due to missed time.  One highschool is discussing adding school days on Saturday to try and make up the time.  Its happened so often that the snow days, which are now called by the kids "bomb days", are all used up.

Its so frequent the media doesn't even cover it but true to form our LEOs and EMTs are on site in mass for we can't afford to not take it seriously.  

They're locking up the kids, if they find them or I should say as fast as they can find them.  Typically its been their mouths that get them caught.  Punishment isn't a walk in the park either but lands their young asses in jail yet the calls continue.  

The usual rhoutine is a bomb threat first period.  The school then rounds all the kids up into the stadium which is real fun in winter especially raining.  They set there for three hours minimum.  Most of the kids I personaly know would like to beat the holy shit out of who's doing it.  About half my son's friends are staying home tomorrow for they know another bomb threat is coming and they see it a waste of time to go.

One kid caught was known to me through school activities.  It was girl, a prep no less.  In fact,  most of the others caught so far are preps.  These are kids that dress nice and come from above average income homes.  

Once or twice, OK I can think "Stupid Kids" and get on with it but this epidemic of stupidity is beyond comprehension.  What the hell are they thinking of?

Is this just this area or is it happening in your area?  I have no way or knowing since there is an obvious media blackout on the topic.

This is really getting to be a real problem here.

Tj

Two in one week is nothing. My freshman year of HS we had one every day for the first week. Eventually it got so bad later in my HS years that the Admin stopped evacuating the school and just put it on lockdown while the LEO's did their thing. Most of the threats were called in from outisde the school on payphones, but there was the occasional one that came from the payphone inside the school.

We were luckier in the winter months in that we had a second detached basketball arena a few hundred yards from the main building.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How many schools have actually been blown up?

We hear about the shootings, but I don't recall an actual bomb happening, only "bomb threats".

Info would be neat, even the dud ones where a m-80 went off in a locker.

I think one of the local schools around here had a minor explosion in a Locker room one year. Ill have to check on that one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
We get them occasionally.  That or threats sent via text messages or the Internet are enough for the school to send everyone home with a note to Mom and Dad and then the local media does a huge story that's guaranteed to cause copycat crimes all over.  The kids know all they have to do is write "Everyone will die" on a bathroom stall and they get the day off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]
None around here as far as I know.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, back when I was in high school, there were a few months or so when there were a lot of bomb threats. Almost daily, and at varying times. They'd evacuate everyone for hours. It stopped eventually, but I don't really know what happened. They'd take us all out to the front or back yard area. We used to joke about what they'd do if someone said there was a bomb in the school AND in the yard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to specialize in these cases when I was a LEO. We had to take all of them seriously because you never know when one will turn out to be the real thing. Burns up lots of money to evacuate and search a school.

We would end up catching most of them. These dipshits would talk, they always do. Someone would eventually drop the dime on them or get pinched and give them up. When they went to court, our juvenile judges were hard on them.

If there was a tie in with the parents, the newspaper would always seem to find out and make sure the whole world knew the parents were being investigated for a bomb threat. A good example of that would be Mom and Dad's name being on the account of the cellphone that junior used to call in the threat. Kind of sidesteps the legal issue of revealing the juveniles name which the paper isn't allowed to do.

You would be surprised what some positive peer pressure from friends, family, and employers will do. Of course, that only works in a smaller town.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd prescribe random tasings until morale improves.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Just curious, but have any of you noticed that "prep" is just "perp" with two letters switched around?

My guess as to the origins of the term "prep": Prep School/Academy, aka rich kid school.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#29]
had 3 threats at my school that i can recall, I was class of 01.

School was not canceled, everyone evaced to the football fields while sheriffs bomb squad came in. The last time it happened they went all out and brought the robot then detonated it. Turned out to be filled with sand.

I thought the evac plan was dumb in this case since it brought EVERYONE into one location out in the open.

Each time it was placed in a different area. once was a bathroom, gym, and once was just a threat over the phone about one in a locker, someone actually built a mock device. The Staff, with kids running around checked every locker yeah that sounds intelligent.

This was after columbine but before 9/11
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yeah, and totally ruin their social lives and leave them as social retards that don't know how to act around people.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]

The usual rhoutine is a bomb threat first period.  The school then rounds all the kids up into the stadium which is real fun in winter especially raining.  They set there for three hours minimum.

Geez, what a great plan.  What if the bomb is in the stadium?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Our HS bomb threats usually come in from an unlisted cell phone (pay-as-u-go) from the next town north's dispatch. The punks learned early that we can trace pay phones.

More towards the late spring than winter.

We've stopped responding en masse  to these calls - that and the fact that the HS is a block away from the FD. We send a command officer to the scene to coordinate with the PD, and let the school personnel search the area. No reason to give the punks a giggle at the "stoopid five-o's and firemans"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and totally ruin their social lives and leave them as social retards that don't know how to act around people.

That description sounds like about 80% of public school students.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My boy just came home and after asking how was your day, the next question was "No bomb threats?"

Sad.

Yep, quite sad TJ.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This isn't once a year guys.  Its like some kid stands up once a month and makes multiple threats.

The other highschool has had 17 threats last month alone.  That's the school going to Saturdays.

Tj

The private school just down the street from my office has had 10 bomb threats this year.

The public school system I work for has had 2.

Out here, when we expell the kids for behavior or other infractions, the parents dump them into the private schools. It's a running joke here in administration that if you want a good education, the public school is the better option!

Av.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are "preps"?

Preppys=rich kids

and cocky little mofos
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tj

The private school just down the street from my office has had 10 bomb threats this year.

Out here, when we expell the kids for behavior or other infractions, the parents dump them into the private schools. It's a running joke here in administration that if you want a good education, the public school is the better option!

Av.

When I lived in Chicago, and went to grade school there, there were a lot of kids that got kicked out of the Catholic(read "private") school in the area and got placed into the public schools.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tj

Av.

When I lived in Chicago, and went to grade school there, there were a lot of kids that got kicked out of the Catholic(read "private") school in the area and got placed into the public schools.

Our public schools absolutely suck and it's very competitive to get into one of the good private schools around here. As a result the private schools have fewer behavior problems because they  know if they fuck up they will end up in the "Gulag".
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#40]
My best friend called one into our HS the week after Columbine.

Getting to start partying at noon was cool, but so not worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
We had some jackass calling them in to where I worked. Do you have any idea what a bitch it is for bomb dogs to search a plant that makes EXPLOSIVES?

After the third one, they had us out searching when they got called in. "We want you to look around for any suspicious packages in this warehouse full of inbound freight. Don't forget to check the storage magazines....."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top