Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2008 7:23:18 AM EDT
This may have been covered before, and I don't know why this hasn't occurred to me until now, but why in the hell did Speilberg portray the Geman troops as having shaved (or very closley cut) hair? This was NOT common in the German Army or the SS. I have seen many Japanese troops with shaved heads, but not Germans.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
LICE
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Budget Cuts
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought generally it's helpful to not have any hair as a soldier.  I've thought about SHTF and decided I'd keep my head shaved as a way of convenience.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Budget Cuts

Is that like a mohawk?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It was pretty stupid.

I guess Spielberg couldn't imagine them evil enough unless they looked like modern skinheads.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Historic inaccuracy, mostly because when modern people think of Nazis, they often think of "skinhead" Neo-Nazis.  

During this time period, shaved heads were associated with crazy people, criminals and slaves.  

The Germans were quite unnerved in Normandy when they encountered American paratroopers with mohawks.  

The Germans made propaganda out of this, claiming that American paratrooper units were made up of insane criminals.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the barbers were Jews and they we interned in concentration camps...

AC
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Most of the barbers were Jews and they we interned in concentration camps...

AC

LOL! QUE?

I've never seen a WWII German soldier's photo with a skinhead haircut.

That's complete silliness.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it doesn't show hair, but I have to post this now.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

halt.hammerzeit.us/images/hammerzeit.jpg

ok, I laughed
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Cooties.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LICE

This was my thought.

ETA:  After my post I remembered watching a documentary on the movie.  Many of the extras used in the movie were actual soldiers.  That would explain the haircuts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Casting and wardrobe decision. They already had their own uniforms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Regulation Wehrmacht haircut was very high and tight…that went by the by in the field, but as they were garrison troops the regulation haircut would have been enforced.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Hair used for bomb triggers?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Germans were quite unnerved in Normandy when they encountered American paratroopers with mohawks.  

Wow I didn't know this.  Sounds highly motivational!

The Germans made propaganda out of this, claiming that American paratrooper units were made up of insane criminals.  

So basically they made films saying "Yeah we're getting out butts kicked by a bunch of insane criminals"  Yeah that's going to make the German troop look like a disciplined well trained Army

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So basically they made films saying "Yeah we're getting out butts kicked by a bunch of insane criminals"  Yeah that's going to make the German troop look like a disciplined well trained Army

Look up about the shitstorm the Germans made when they captured some B17 aircrew with 'Murder Inc' painted on the back of the flight jackets.

IIRC, aircrew were told to tone down things on their planes and flight apparel by 8th High Command in the aftermath.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#19]
The same reason he (and the MSM) call them "right wing".

They portray them as something that they are not for poltical purposes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No kiddin? I never knew that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

One of my all time favorites
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They were also trying to convince the French civilians of this.  

Germans: "Lock up your daughters !  Those crazy Americans from the 101st Airborne are going to rape them !"

The airborne units fought the German occupiers in an unconventional matter. Lightly armed in weapons and supplies, outnumbered, behind enemy lines, the troopers had to adapt a rules of engagement in which no quarter could be given. Because of this, of paratroopers wearing war paint and Mohawk haircuts, the rumor was spread by the Nazi propaganda that the Americans had deployed a division of criminals and psychopathic killers. Hitler had a nickname for the 101st which the Wehrmacht(the German Army) called"the butchers in baggy pants," he called them the "Sing Singers" after the prison north of New York City. The Germans were not the only people to believe this as many viewed them as nuts and many, even those who were liberated by these men, feared for their lives. In other words, the 101st was trained to "out-Nazi the Nazis".

www.ww2-airborne.us/units/326/326_memories.html

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Historic inaccuracy, mostly because when modern people think of Nazis, they often think of "skinhead" Neo-Nazis.  

During this time period, shaved heads were associated with crazy people, criminals and slaves.  

I need to see some mohawked paratrooper pics!
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hair used for bomb triggers?

Pillow and mattress stuffing
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you just show the people the bodies and the captives, you lead the people to believe YOU are winning.

There was a book I read growing up, 4 Came Home I believe, about POWs in the Pacific. They had a radio and listened to the Jap broadcasts. They followed the Allied advance because the Japs were smart and stupid at the same time. The broadcasts told of sinking and killing many ships and sailors. The thing the Japs didn't do was alter the date and battle locations. According to Japanese radio, the Imperial forces were destroying the American forces all the way through the island campaigns to the Phillipines and Okinawa.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Great book about them.

The Filthy Thirteen
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look up about the shitstorm the Germans made when they captured some B17 aircrew with 'Murder Inc' painted on the back of the flight jackets.

IIRC, aircrew were told to tone down things on their planes and flight apparel by 8th High Command in the aftermath.

I did just that, interesting story, thanks for the heads-up.  The story of "Muder Inc" as told by one of the crew.

U.S.A Luftgangster!

www.merkki.com/images/murder%20inc%20german%20paper.jpg

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That one gets me everytime...
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
cineprism.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/filthy-13-mohawks.jpeg

Great book about them.

The Filthy Thirteen

Wish there were more pictures.  Here's what I was able to turn up:

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anybody here seen the German movie "Stalingrad"?

It was about a German engineer unit IIRC. What I remembered most from this movie was the Germans all had unique haircuts, but still somewhat normal. All the Soviets OTOH had shaved heads. Oh yeah the guy getting blown in half by a T-34 was pretty memorable too
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if the 'Murder Inc' was a reference to the 1943 cartoon "Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs".

Google it if you want to see it.  I'm sure a link would be questionable due to racism.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

They aren't?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It was about a German engineer unit IIRC. What I remembered most from this movie was the Germans all had unique haircuts, but still somewhat normal. All the Soviets OTOH had shaved heads. Oh yeah the guy getting blown in half by a T-34 was pretty memorable too

I was going to mention this earlier. This movie is a much more realistic image of the Wehrmacht trooper.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Most of the Germans were Irish Army Soldiers.  Some of the Germans were British WW2 Reenactors.  The buzz cut was totally incorrect, but hey, what do you do!  The movie more than made up for any short comings in authenticity.  IMHO
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#38]
They shaved their heads so they could wear those kamakaize bandanas under their pickelhaube helmets.

Fact.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I thought it was because Hitler said everyone in the US is a criminal or a playboy.  They had mohawks to mock der Führer
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

ooh yeah that movie was hard to watch, especially the part with the frostbitten feet and running people over with tanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Rommel, who was stickler for regulations regarding appearance, always wore his hair in the regulation 'high and tight' Wehrmacht manner.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#43]
They used a lot of real soldiers as extras. Plus its easier to reuse the same people over and over without much notice to the viewer if they all look a lot alike, thus shaved heads. You can make 50 look like 5000.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/germans/rommel_1.jpg

Rommel, who was stickler for regulations regarding appearance, always wore his hair in the regulation 'high and tight' Wehrmacht manner.

Rommel was a fuggin' bad-ass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#45]
The Whermacht regulation hair cut was basicly a High & Tight but with out the tight.

Shaved close on the sides and back but long on top and long bangs. kinda' like what you see modern skate boarders wearing.

The German term for that style of haire cut was called an "Island Cut". I dont know how it's pronounced in German.

The most common & easiest description of an authentic German military style haircut is said to be:

"shaved from the neck and tapered up to the top above the ears all the way around. The hair was usually very long on top, combed (& slicked) straight back from the forehead.  If parted, the part is very high on the head."
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/germans/rommel_1.jpg

Rommel was a fuggin' bad-ass.

If you can read "Soldat", Rommel was the author's commandant while in Officer school, a very good read as the author fought in almost every major German campaign along with surviving 10 years in Soviet Gulags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This may have been covered before, and I don't know why this hasn't occurred to me until now, but why in the hell did Speilberg portray the Geman troops as having shaved (or very closley cut) hair? This was NOT common in the German Army or the SS. I have seen many Japanese troops with shaved heads, but not Germans.

Because that movie was pure propaganda.........end of story.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The Whermacht regulation hair cut was basicly a High & Tight but with out the tight.

Shaved close on the sides and back but long on top and long bangs. kinda' like what you see modern skate boarders wearing.

The German term for that style of haire cut was called an "Island Cut". I dont know how it's pronounced in German.

The most common & easiest description of an authentic German military style haircut is said to be:

"shaved from the neck and tapered up to the top above the ears all the way around. The hair was usually very long on top, combed (& slicked) straight back from the forehead.  If parted, the part is very high on the head."

Looks kinda like a Marine Corps Medium-Regulation.  That's what I had.  A German friend told me once she thought I looked like I was SS.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Murder Inc Story
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top